psteynberg

Create new Image SD Card - Pi 4

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:58 am

Hi All,

Very new. Recent purchase of Raspberry Pi 4 (4Gb) for my son. It came with a 16Gb SD card with NOOBS and we have installed Raspbian as per the instructions. I have also purchased a new 128Gb SD card and would like to just clone the operating system and all installs of other software (Plex etc) we have done etc across to this card and store the original disk as an emergency backup.

So I have the original card in the Pi and have the new card which I can add using a USB reader and thus will have both attached. Can I just drag one across to the other or do I need to run through a sequence of formatting and then running some scripts etc.

Once done as said want to take out the original card, swap new one into the slot and then this becomes my primary boot and HD.

Thanks in advance.

pcmanbob

Re: Create new Image SD Card - Pi 4

Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:25 am

If you look in the menu on the pi there is an SD card copier, you should use that to copy your existing SD card in the pi to the new SD card in the card reader.

once completed shutdown the pi swap your existing SD card in the pi for the new one and it should just boot as before , you will need to run

Code: Select all

sudo raspi-config
and use that to expand the OS to use all of your new SD card .
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

psteynberg

Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:29 am

pcmanbob wrote:
If you look in the menu on the pi there is an SD card copier, you should use that to copy your existing SD card in the pi to the new SD card in the card reader.

once completed shutdown the pi swap your existing SD card in the pi for the new one and it should just boot as before , you will need to run

sudo raspi-config
Hi pcmanbob,

Thank you for the prompt response, seems very simple and will give it a shot on the weekend and hopefully report back success.

Regards,

Paul

rpdom

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:46 am

pcmanbob wrote:

sudo raspi-config
You don't need to do that. The SD Card Copier automatically resizes the data to fit the new card.

psteynberg

Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:13 am

rpdom wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:46 am
pcmanbob wrote:

sudo raspi-config
You don't need to do that. The SD Card Copier automatically resizes the data to fit the new card.
Bonus., less for me to break....

Return to “General discussion”