jrstewart512

Raspberry Pi 4 B won't boot from SD card

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:36 pm

Hi, I am having a problem with booting up my new Raspberry Pi 4. I am using a preformatted NOOBs SD card (16GB integral) that I got with a previous purchase of a Raspberry Pi 3 B+. The SD card was never used with that Pi, and I thought there would be no problems booting the Pi 4B from that SD card. However, when I give power to the Pi, the Green ACT LED lights only for a moment before going dark. There is no output on the HDMI either, so I assumed the problem was the initial boot process was failing. Any help solving this problem would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 B won't boot from SD card

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:41 pm

That won't work - the firmware files on the old NOOBS card will not have any Pi4 support.

Following the reflashing instructions here, and all should be well.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

iriereggaeman

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:18 pm

Same problem here, buy I'm quite sure my issue was self inflicted, as I believe I shorted 5.0 VDC Power with 3.3 VDC power. :x

I read all the points in the Boot Problems Sticky, but since my multi-meter fails to get any reading from the 3.3 VDC pin after my boo-boo, I'm pretty sure I killed it.

I have a number of hours invested in setting up my OS and environment. What's the likelihood of ordering another Pi 3B+, swapping out my previously working MicroSD card, and return to a working environment? I guess my question is whether I could have also fried the SD card.

Thanks in advance!

IrieReggaeMan

rpdom

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:04 am

iriereggaeman wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:18 pm
Same problem here, buy I'm quite sure my issue was self inflicted, as I believe I shorted 5.0 VDC Power with 3.3 VDC power. :x
This is not the same problem as you said you are using a Pi 3B+, while this thread is about the 4B.

Yes, shorting the power pins will kill your 3B+. The SD card is probably OK and will just need the automatic file system check when you put it in a new Pi 3B+.

Return to “General discussion”