jerry.x.anderson

Starting up

Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:51 pm

Have just opened raspberry pi 4 computer desktop kit bought from Cambridge last week.
Have inserted card but when switch on, red light ok but green light will only come on for second and then goes out.

Any ideas please? Or do I have to take back to store? Hugely frustrating for my 12 year old. (And me!)

wh7qq

Re: Starting up

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:13 pm

The first guess is the SD card. Is it fully inserted the correct way (contacts to PC board)? Do you see any text on the boot screen or raspberry's at the top? On a working computer, download the latest Raspbian image (forget NOOBS) and use Etcher to unzip it and burn it to the SD card. If that goes without error, it should boot. Booting is not instantaneous but it should come up with something on the monitor (boot messages) followed by a desktop.

This all assumes a connection to the monitor or TV (HDMI), mouse and keyboard and, of course, the correct power supply (NOT a battery charger).

Frustration is part of computing. Been running them since the '80s and still cuss at mine daily...good thing they don't have feelings 'cuz I have called them horrible things and threatened physical violence/destruction. Good for the character :lol: .

k-pi

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:32 pm

Using the official PSU & mHDMI cable, I managed to get mine working by adding the following to config.txt, (it may work for you).

hdmi_force_hotplug:0=1
hdmi_group=2 ## for HDMI
hdmi_mode=39 ## for 1360x768

The mHDMI cable needs to be in the socket next to the power socket.

jerry.x.anderson

Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:16 pm

The card is inserted the correct way. But it is as though the connection is not perfect. The green light comes on and as I move the computer it will go out. Or it flickers. And I cannot get anything to stay on screen. Obviously the connection to the card is needed for Christmas display to function.

I do appreciate the support

wh7qq

Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:23 pm

If, as you say, it is indeed the fit between the SD card and the PC board, sometimes a small piece of transparent tape on the side of the SD opposite the contacts is the fix. This has happened on one of my older uSD cards. If you use the tape, take care not to overlap the edges, allowing the tape to foul the contacts. I have had very good luck with SanDisk Ultra cards. uSD cards are pretty cheap on Amazon...the 32GB size is a good buy...as are many others outside of my limited experience. You will need several sooner or later. Do not buy these from auction sites as counterfeits are all over the place...name brands in original packages from reliable sources only!
Last edited by wh7qq on Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Technocolour

Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:27 pm

What comes on to the screen?

A ranbow box thing?

Some raspberries?

DougieLawson

Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:29 pm

Technocolour wrote:

A ranbow box thing?

Some raspberries?
The rainbow is the firmware loading
The raspberries are the Linux kernel loading

What's on your SDCard, is it latest Raspbian Buster or NOOBS 3.1.1 or something else?
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

jerry.x.anderson

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:31 pm

Technocolour wrote:

A ranbow box thing?

Some raspberries?
While I have any type of green light - yes I get as you describe a rainbow box thing.

No raspberries!

The card was provided in desktop kit.

jerry.x.anderson

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:35 pm

wh7qq wrote:
If, as you say, it is indeed the fit between the SD card and the PC board, sometimes a small piece of transparent tape on the side of the SD opposite the contacts is the fix. This has happened on one of my older uSD cards. If you use the tape, take care not to overlap the edges, allowing the tape to foul the contacts. I have had very good luck with SanDisk Ultra cards. uSD cards are pretty cheap on Amazon...the 32GB size is a good buy...as are many others outside of my limited experience. You will need several sooner or later. Do not buy these from auction sites as counterfeits are all over the place...name brands in original packages from reliable sources only!

Thanks. Card came direct in desktop kit bought from store. I thought this would stop any fun and games and set up would be simple.....all good lessons here for sure. But seems I am best heading back to the store (6 hour round trip!)

PhatFil

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:58 pm

fwiw im not yet a pi4 owner..

a 'quick' download of the raspbian buster image and etcher to copy the zip file direct to the sd card, which is about 40 minutes time elapsed and 5-10 minutes if that doing things.. could sae you a long drive..

an issue with the pre release image on the provided sd card is way more likely than anything else imho..

who knows how many fixes have been applied since the image your using was built?? it could have been in the box waiting for a week or a month before the pi was added..

While im not 100% sure i would consider it a very safe bet that the raspberry store staff would not care if you had overwritten the bundled sd card Should the pi/kit be faulty and be eligible for replacement/refund..
if in doubt phone/email them and ask 'is it ok to use latest sources on the kit sd card to get my pi4 to start??"
-They can not say NO....

the green activity light will just flash on and off, so any activity is a Healthy sign that the system tried to start up.. and the lack of magic smoke release is another good indicator it could well be a system/s/w issue..

This is probably a 'feature' of being an early adopter a real pita especially for a newbie, but the good news is lots of early adopters have experienced issues reported them and fixes are underway ;)

If an up to date image fails and the above suggested file edits fail?? for now though i think its a case of chasing that bleeding edge of pi4/buster development.

Not all hdmi screens are equal

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:03 pm

jerry.x.anderson wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:35 pm
wh7qq wrote:

Thanks. Card came direct in desktop kit bought from store. I thought this would stop any fun and games and set up would be simple.....all good lessons here for sure. But seems I am best heading back to the store (6 hour round trip!)
I would suggest, as above, building a new SD card. Just get one that is at least 8GB and use another system to load Raspbian directly to it.

The big problem with store supplied NOOBS cards is that the vendors are not always careful to be sure the cards have the latest image, and when there is a new Pi out, that becomes critical. If working with Etcher to do a direct Raspbian load makes you nervous, step the card up to at leat 16GB and download the latest version of NOOBS. That can be unzipped and *copied* directly to the SD card. See here: https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... setting-up or here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/videos/#noobs-setup to see how to do it.

wh7qq

Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:01 am

[/quote]
[/quote]

I sure would not drive a long way to go back to the store...if there is a good local source you can access or mail order from Amazon or ? Gas, tires, your time and strength...worth it?

The store or kit maker bought the SD card in the kit from somewhere...often at the best price their buyers could find. It is no guarantee of quality...just that they were able to burn an image to it. Maybe they burned it in house or maybe they bought it with NOOBS already burned by the card house. in your case, you may be seeing the ill effects of tolerance build-up...tolerance in the SD card and in the PC/card receptacle dimensions. The fact that it seems to be effected by motion of the RPi is what I base my guess on. The card is "rattling around" in the holder and making or breaking contact on one or more of the PC fingers (extreme example but illustrative).

Again, a good source of card manufacturer (SanDisk, Samsung, other big names) and sales outlet is your best guarantee of quality/consistency and Raspbian desktop with or without extras is your best bet for support on this forum (it's a numbers game). You can burn other operating systems after you are comfortable with the RPi.

jerry.x.anderson

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:53 pm

wh7qq wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:13 pm
The first guess is the SD card. Is it fully inserted the correct way (contacts to PC board)? Do you see any text on the boot screen or raspberry's at the top? On a working computer, download the latest Raspbian image (forget NOOBS) and use Etcher to unzip it and burn it to the SD card. If that goes without error, it should boot. Booting is not instantaneous but it should come up with something on the monitor (boot messages) followed by a desktop.

This all assumes a connection to the monitor or TV (HDMI), mouse and keyboard and, of course, the correct power supply (NOT a battery charger).

Frustration is part of computing. Been running them since the '80s and still cuss at mine daily...good thing they don't have feelings 'cuz I have called them horrible things and threatened physical violence/destruction. Good for the character :lol: .
Thanks for your advice. All ok ...for now of course

jerry.x.anderson

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:54 pm

wh7qq wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:01 am
[/quote]

I sure would not drive a long way to go back to the store...if there is a good local source you can access or mail order from Amazon or ? Gas, tires, your time and strength...worth it?

The store or kit maker bought the SD card in the kit from somewhere...often at the best price their buyers could find. It is no guarantee of quality...just that they were able to burn an image to it. Maybe they burned it in house or maybe they bought it with NOOBS already burned by the card house. in your case, you may be seeing the ill effects of tolerance build-up...tolerance in the SD card and in the PC/card receptacle dimensions. The fact that it seems to be effected by motion of the RPi is what I base my guess on. The card is "rattling around" in the holder and making or breaking contact on one or more of the PC fingers (extreme example but illustrative).

Again, a good source of card manufacturer (SanDisk, Samsung, other big names) and sales outlet is your best guarantee of quality/consistency and Raspbian desktop with or without extras is your best bet for support on this forum (it's a numbers game). You can burn other operating systems after you are comfortable with the RPi.
[/quote]

jerry.x.anderson

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:59 pm

wh7qq wrote:

Return to “General discussion”