That's taking "flight mode" a bit far.
NOOOOO!!! How did I miss that? I signed up for back in stock notification, but I didn't get an email
I wouldn't panic about the product mix just yet. There are probably a couple of factors in play. The first being that you are seeing a lot of sales to enthusiast early adopters. If they can afford it (and it's not like an extra $10 to $20 will break the bank for most people, especially if they've already got a bunch of Pis), they're more likely to go for "the top of the line". Secondly, they're selling to reasonably knowledgeable people who will pick their Pis based on intended use. I have one Pi4B4 so far to use as a test bed for the back office portion of my convention registration system. 4GB is probably overkill, but it will allow for expected growth. I have places where I think 1GB is plenty, and I have one of those so far, and I *may* get 6 to 8 more if I decide to use it in a particular way. I also have uses (such as general computer use for my 11-year-old grandson) for a 2GB model (which is in transit at this point).
Budget reasons meant I haven't always been able to afford the top model. I do have a Model A that has been in continuous use for a few years, also a couple of Zeroes that have been in constant use. One of them has just over a year of uptime now. I had a lot of trouble justifying getting the 4B, but I was unable to resist.
My Newark order from launch day (June 24) just had the ship date pushed back again. Originally July 5, now July 22. At this point I no longer believe them and don't expect to get a 4GB from them for months ("more so than we expected" is an epic understatement).
Heh... I ordered a CM3L+ from them on 15 April. Last I saw, there were talking about shipping it in September.HawaiianPi wrote: ↑Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:23 pmMy Newark order from launch day (June 24) just had the ship date pushed back again. Originally July 5, now July 22. At this point I no longer believe them and don't expect to get a 4GB from them for months ("more so than we expected" is an epic understatement).
Honestly, for me, the 2GB is the least desirable model. I only got one because it was all I could get. The 1GB seems useful for light tasks I have the 3B(+) doing now, but with better software and network performance. The 4GB is the best value for RAM, so that's my choice for "desktop" or heavier server use.
Around here I suspect that "not normal"...is normal.
Just curious why you thought that ... I'm with HawaiianPi and maybe some others in thinking that the model with 4 GB RAM would be the sweet spot for desktop performance (from my POV, because of what the web has become ... ugh). Were you by chance thinking of price/performance ratio? That's about the only reason I can think of a different sweet spot, particularly if the performance in question did not hinge on the browsing or streaming experience.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I have been following the status of CanaKit shipment dates.travisfarmer wrote: ↑Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:03 pmi pre-ordered a Rpi4B4 Complete Starter Kit, from CanaKit, on July 1st, and it is stated as possibly shipping by August 1st. no emails yet, other than the order confirmation, and the website still says "Pending"...
i am sure it will ship eventually, but i hope i get it before the Rpi5 comes out
Hmmm, good thing i have other projects to work on while i wait...MisterEd wrote: I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I have been following the status of CanaKit shipment dates.
Pi 4 4GB Complete Starter Kit - 32GB
Aug 1 > Jul 31 > Aug 15
I feel your pain. I placed my order the same day the RPi 4 was released (June 24). I am holding my breath my order will be shipped Friday 19th
Pi 4 4GB Starter Kit - 32GB
Aug 1 > Jul 11 > Jul 15 > Jul 19
Agreed. Depending just what the next Pi entails, it could easily be 2022 or 2023.
I would expect some firmware updates fairly soon, such as within a few weeks, with some anticipated features--such as USB booting--to take more like 6 months or so. I would also expect a minor board revision (which might be launched with no announcement, just as the Pi2Bv1.2 was) to fix the USB-C issue in something on the order of 6 months.However, if some of the complaints I have seen are hardware based then maybe we might see a RPi 4 revision release before this time next year.
Also, if any defects can be fixed with firmware I expect to see firmware updates in the next few months.
Since firmware is programming, one should apply the basic rule of programming schedules: The first 90% of the effort takes the first 90% of the time. The other 10% of the effort takes the other 90% of the time.
There already is a new Raspbian image up to fix some early software issues (2019-07-10-raspbian-buster.zip). Firmware may take a bit more time for things like Net-boot and USB boot.
Yup. What's that old programmer's song? You sing it to the tune of 99 bottles, and it's something like 99 little bugs in the code, take one down, patch it around... 105 little bugs in the code.