sfong

Re: When are people in the U.S. getting their Pi 4s?

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:32 pm

jamesh wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:03 pm
sfong wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:21 pm
If this article is true (and it seems to be confirmed by Raspberry) you might want to consider an early purchase of the Pi 4:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/07 ... -chargers/

:o :o
Why? Just use a power supply that works! Like the incredibly cheap official one. Or use a cheap cable!
You did see the point that Raspberry will be changing their circuit design in order to comply for the official USB-C standard right? This means that all Pi 4's being released now until the redesign will be "obsolete" and be dependent on non-standard chargers/cables that may not exist in the future.

It's up to the buyer of course. We've waited this long so what's a few more months in order to get a "proper" Pi 4 that will be fully supported going into the future.
Last edited by sfong on Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MisterEd

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:43 pm

jcyr wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:30 pm
Ordered 1G and 4G Pi4 on day of announcement from CanaKit in Vancouver. As of today, both have arrived.
I ordered from CanaKit in Vancouver also.

I ordered the 4G Pi4 Starter Kit on June 24th at 9pm. It is not supposed to ship until July 15th.

You must ordered your boards earlier than that and were one of the first in line for the 4G Pi4.

CanaKit says their will be no tracking information for orders from Canada to the U.S. Did CanaKit just email you when your order shipped? How long did your shipment take to get to you?

BTW, I live in Huntsville so shipping time should be about the same.

HawaiianPi

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:37 am

gtechn wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:10 pm
I'm in the US, and I bought the 4GB version about 14 hours or so after launch on Newark Element14. Shipping July 5 (today).
Ah, but did it actually ship on 7/5?

They told me the same thing, and then my ship date got pushed back to July 10, and now it's July 12 ... :(

Got tired of that nonsense and ordered a 2GB on July 4 from PiShop.us, which they shipped July 5, and was supposed to be delivered today (7/9), but I got a notification from the post office this morning that delivery of my shipment has been delayed. :x

Sometimes you just can't win no matter how hard you try ... :cry:

Tracking shows it did arrive in Portland today, so I guess I'll get it tomorrow. Image
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

W. H. Heydt

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:44 am

sfong wrote:
It's up to the buyer of course. We've waited this long so what's a few more months in order to get a "proper" Pi 4 that will be fully supported going into the future.
It will be difficult to predict exactly when a new point release board will show up in the wild. It'll be a case of shoving new boards on one end of the pipeline and seeing how long it takes for them to emerge at the other end. It will depend to a great extent how many are in the pipeline at any given time and how fast they're selling. New boards are likely to show up at different vendors at different times, mostly controlled by their sales rate and reorder intervals.

jcyr

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:47 am

MisterEd wrote:
jcyr wrote:
Ordered 1G and 4G Pi4 on day of announcement from CanaKit in Vancouver. As of today, both have arrived.

I ordered the 4G Pi4 Starter Kit on June 24th at 9pm. It is not supposed to ship until July 15th.

You must ordered your boards earlier than that and were one of the first in line for the 4G Pi4.

CanaKit says their will be no tracking information for orders from Canada to the U.S. Did CanaKit just email you when your order shipped? How long did your shipment take to get to you?

Not sure what the starter kit contains. I order both 1G and 4G at the same time (board and brick only). I've had the 1G for about 4 days, the 4G arrived today.

There's no tracking available when they ship Canada/US post, but they do email you when they ship. They state 6-10 biz days, but it worked out to shorter than that!
It's um...uh...well it's kinda like...and it's got a bit of...

MisterEd

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:50 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:37 am
gtechn wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:10 pm
I'm in the US, and I bought the 4GB version about 14 hours or so after launch on Newark Element14. Shipping July 5 (today).
Ah, but did it actually ship on 7/5?

They told me the same thing, and then my ship date got pushed back to July 10, and now it's July 12 ... :(

Got tired of that nonsense and ordered a 2GB on July 4 from PiShop.us, which they shipped July 5, and was supposed to be delivered today (7/9), but I got a notification from the post office this morning that delivery of my shipment has been delayed. :x

Sometimes you just can't win no matter how hard you try ... :cry:

Tracking shows it did arrive in Portland today, so I guess I'll get it tomorrow. Image
There is a saying, “Don’t count your chickens before they hatch”. Translated, “Don’t count your RPi 4s before they are in your grubby little hands”

jcyr

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:51 am

jcyr wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:47 am
MisterEd wrote:
jcyr wrote:

Not sure what the starter kit contains. I order both 1G and 4G at the same time (board and brick only). I've had the 1G for about 4 days, the 4G arrived today.

There's no tracking available when they ship Canada/US post, but they do email you when they ship. They state 6-10 biz days, but it worked out to shorter than that!
P.S. I'd have no concerns about CanaKit. They've been a reliable supplier for the few years I've been using them.

HawaiianPi

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:55 am

Biggen wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:25 am
I don’t remember seeing VAT on the invoice but it was more expensive than others. I figured they jacked the price due to demand.
In another thread I said I didn't buy from PiHut because I didn't like price gouging, and someone suggested that the price difference was due to VAT. But VAT is supposed to be removed for shipments to the USA, and Pimoroni does that. PiHut apparently doesn't, and did not respond to my 2 inquiries about VAT and their higher price. So I won't be buying from them, ever. I don't think such behavior should be rewarded.

jcyr

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:05 am

sfong wrote:
jamesh wrote:
sfong wrote:
If this article is true (and it seems to be confirmed by Raspberry) you might want to consider an early purchase of the Pi 4:

Why? Just use a power supply that works! Like the incredibly cheap official one. Or use a cheap cable!
You did see the point that Raspberry will be changing their circuit design in order to comply for the official USB-C standard right? This means that all Pi 4's being released now until the redesign will be "obsolete" and be dependent on non-standard chargers/cables that may not exist in the future.

They're usually purchased with a supported brick. At $35-55 why wait?

I'm not sure where you get that this revision won't be fully supported?

bunklung

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:15 am

jamesh wrote:
sfong wrote:

It's find it amusing that people are using a $60 Apple cable/charger with a $35 SBC.

rpdom

Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:42 am

jamesh wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:24 pm
alphanumeric wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:15 pm
I would have said inexpensive instead of cheap ;) . I bought what I know works and was tested to work on a Pi 4, like the official one was. Not all that hard to do.
Inexpensive is a much better word!
I like Affordable, or even Reasonably Priced (which is what the "rp" in "rpdom" stands for).

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:01 am

sfong wrote:
jamesh wrote:
sfong wrote:

Of course I saw it. But there is nothing really wrong about the current version. Itcworks fine with the official power supply, and even the older ones with an adaptor. These are still standard so the current version with never be obsolete, it's just the newer version will be slightly better. As happens with most products.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

alphanumeric

Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:51 am

I saw some posts mentioning tacking on deliveries. I live in Canada.
If I order from Adafruit in the US, its tracked right to my front door. All the Canadian sorting facilities etc are listed. I'll even get out for delivery entry. I believe its sent via DHL Tracked and signed.
If I order from Pimoroni in the UK, tracking stops as soon as it crosses the big pond. It ships via Royal Mail Tracked and signed. I think the issue is actually with Canada Post not playing nice with Royal mail. Right now my Pi 4 order shows as

Your item is now leaving the UK. More information will be available when it arrives in the destination country.

It shipped on the 28th of last month. If I enter my tracking number into Canada Posts tracker its not found. All I can do now is wait for it to show up at my front door. Once I sign for it at the door an hour or so latter it shows as being delivered.

HawaiianPi

Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:56 am

So what's the deal with Newark/Element14?

As I understand it, Newark/Element14 are sellers for Premier Farnell, who is the distributor for the Raspberry Pi computers made by Sony UK, who is one of the 2 major manufacturers of the non-Zero models (which would include the Pi4).

So you'd think that if anyone could get stock, it would be them, but nope.

I ordered a pair of 4GB on release day, June 24, with an estimated ship date of July 5, but every time the ship date gets close they push it back. July 5 to July 10, July 10 to July 12, and today July 12 to July 16. :x

So why is it that a seller for the actual manufacturer can't get stock?

Sorry, but it's been "one of those days" when the bad news wouldn't stop (don't get me started on the rest of my day), and this was the last straw.

If 15,000 of them are being manufactured every day, how is it that Newark cannot seem to get any, when they are part of the same company group that actually makes them? I know there were going to be delays getting them into the USA, but it's been over 2 weeks since launch!

Okay, I feel better.

Umm ... did anyone see where my eyeballs landed? ... :?

jamesh

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:03 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:56 am
So what's the deal with Newark/Element14?

As I understand it, Newark/Element14 are sellers for Premier Farnell, who is the distributor for the Raspberry Pi computers made by Sony UK, who is one of the 2 major manufacturers of the non-Zero models (which would include the Pi4).

So you'd think that if anyone could get stock, it would be them, but nope.

I ordered a pair of 4GB on release day, June 24, with an estimated ship date of July 5, but every time the ship date gets close they push it back. July 5 to July 10, July 10 to July 12, and today July 12 to July 16. :x

So why is it that a seller for the actual manufacturer can't get stock?

Sorry, but it's been "one of those days" when the bad news wouldn't stop (don't get me started on the rest of my day), and this was the last straw.

If 15,000 of them are being manufactured every day, how is it that Newark cannot seem to get any, when they are part of the same company group that actually makes them? I know there were going to be delays getting them into the USA, but it's been over 2 weeks since launch!

Okay, I feel better.

Umm ... did anyone see where my eyeballs landed? ... :?
Because we are spreading out the distribution so that smaller resellers are not 'left out'. If everything went to the resellers owned by the manufacturers, there would be a LOT of really annoyed resellers. And we like to be fair. Those smaller resellers are important to us.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

alphanumeric

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:30 pm

Mine arrived this morning, shipped on the 28th I believe. 2 weeks by snail mail. I cheaped out on the shipping so thats about how long it usually takes to get to me from the UK. Sometimes I get it in as little as 10 days.

HawaiianPi

Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:25 pm

Spotted 4GB models in stock at Pimoroni last night, and was just about to order when it occurred to me that I should cancel my Newark order first, so I won't end up with more than I need (at the moment, don't want to be greedy). I went the the Newark site to cancel, and it was offline!

Apparently the universe still doesn't want me to have a 4GB model. :cry:

Where did I put my tinfoil hat... :?

alphanumeric

Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:46 pm

Out of stock again at Pimoroni. Only 1 gig models available. Thats where I snagged mine, I had to do the notify me option and hope the timing was right when I checked my e-mail. I will be ordering another Pi 4, will be a while though before that happens. Months from now most likely.

JohnSoCalUSA

Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:48 pm

I got lucky.
On Tuesday I saw that Micro Center had the 1 GB and 2 GB in stock.
I reserved a 2 GB on Tuesday and went to pick it up on Wednesday.
While I was waiting for the clerk to get my order from the back room I noticed a box on the "return to stock" shelf.
I asked about it and it turned out to be an unopened 4 GB Pi 4b.
So I bought the 4 GB instead of the 2 GB version.
It was worth driving 45 miles to get it.

alphanumeric

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:05 am

I am so glad they kept and broke the 35 dollar threshold. Kudos to them for delivering a Pi 4 for that same 35 dollars. And a thumbs up to giving us the option to spend more to get more. I didn't mind spending extra to get extra RAM. :D And from what I'm seeing on the forums I'm not alone in that.

W. H. Heydt

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:19 am

alphanumeric wrote:
I am so glad they kept and broke the 35 dollar threshold. Kudos to them for delivering a Pi 4 for that same 35 dollars. And a thumbs up to giving us the option to spend more to get more. I didn't mind spending extra to get extra RAM. :D And from what I'm seeing on the forums I'm not alone in that.
There was certainly a lot of demand for it. While I wasn't asking for it, I won't turn it down.

alphanumeric

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:32 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:19 am
alphanumeric wrote:
There was certainly a lot of demand for it. While I wasn't asking for it, I won't turn it down.
For me one of the big selling points for the Raspberry Pi is having options. Go inexpensive with a Zero, spend a bit more for a model 3A+, or go for the 3B+ or even a 4B if thats what you need. Win win in my books.

gtechn

Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:51 am

Hello,

I have a few updates for everyone on this thread.

element14: Some people (including myself) noticed the date slipping from July 5, to 8, to 10, to 12, to 16... So, I talked to element14, and they said that they actually are getting a shipment in SEPTEMBER. The system is just automatically shifting the date and will keep moving the date until that shipment arrives. My advice is to do what I did, which is...

Order from OKDo. They have them in stock, with either 12 or 3 day shipping. All models - so I ordered 4GB. I've ordered yesterday and received a package shipping tracking code (on the 12 day shipping option).

Again, just to make it clear: If you have an order with Newark/Element14/Farnell, you may want to look elsewhere.
Last edited by gtechn on Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

alphanumeric

Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:04 am

Its the same old same old, which is good for the Raspberry Pi foundation. Demand exceeds supply. :D
It would suck if it was the other way around. ;)

Return to “General discussion”