Re: Pi 4 firmware, software stability improvements

Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:00 pm

jamesh wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:23 pm
caldimerda wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:57 am
6by9 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:54 am
Merged yesterday - https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware/ ... 2203d125f8 (only the firmware changes were reverted in the followup commit, and this was a kernel only change).
Note that this will not automatically remove the --disable-gpu flag from Chromium.
I updated to the latest firmware at 1900 UK time - after the commits. Switched off disable-gpu and got some some green "Hardware accelerated" options in Chrome://gpu - but still "Hardware accelerated but at reduced performance" against WebGL and "unavailable" against WebGL2 - as opposed to "Hardware Accelerated" against both webgl and webgl2 on my 3b+.

And Youtube in Chromium ran like a dog on the pi 4 :-(
I'm just trying the latest rpi-update firmware, and can play back on a 1080p60 display quite happily 720 and 1080p videos from YouTube in Chromium.

GPU settings:

Graphics Feature Status
Canvas: Hardware accelerated
Flash: Hardware accelerated
Flash Stage3D: Hardware accelerated
Flash Stage3D Baseline profile: Hardware accelerated
Compositing: Hardware accelerated
Multiple Raster Threads: Enabled
Native GpuMemoryBuffers: Software only. Hardware acceleration disabled
Out-of-process Rasterization: Disabled
Hardware Protected Video Decode: Unavailable
Rasterization: Software only. Hardware acceleration disabled
Skia Renderer: Disabled
Surface Control: Disabled
Surface Synchronization: Enabled
Video Decode: Unavailable
Viz Service Display Compositor: Enabled
WebGL: Hardware accelerated <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
WebGL2: Hardware accelerated <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hi James,
Yes indeed. I take back my last two comments. In being too clever for my own good, I'd kept in a bunch of chromium customizations that actually undid the good work in the new Kernel. it dawned on me during the day and sure enough, removing those I'm getting very fine performance from Youtube.
Thanks,

thrustpork

Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:59 am

Would someone mind telling me how to undo the --disable-gpu flag on chromium? I went into chrome://flags and i don't see it in there.

Zagum

Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:45 am

I'm using the latest firmware from raspi-update (rebooted after) and I'm still showing 'Software Only, hardware acceleration unavailable' for WebGL/WebGL2

Are there any additional steps needed ?

Zagum

Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:56 am

Replying to my own question for anyone else looking - I was missing editing /usr/bin/chromium-browser and removing the reference to --disable-gpu where it gets added to CHROMIUM_FLAGS

cruster

Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:05 am

Zagum wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:56 am
Replying to my own question for anyone else looking - I was missing editing /usr/bin/chromium-browser and removing the reference to --disable-gpu where it gets added to CHROMIUM_FLAGS
Is that the

If grep -q okay /proc/device-tree....
fi

Block?

Do you just comment it out?

cruster

Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:07 am

Youtube on chrome with apt-get all updated/upgraded unfortunately plays like a slide show here. What am I missing?

caldimerda

Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:35 am

cruster wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:07 am
Youtube on chrome with apt-get all updated/upgraded unfortunately plays like a slide show here. What am I missing?
You need to try
sudo rpi-update
That gets you the latest Kernel updates. Tehy've not been added to the released kernel yet so you won't get them from apt-get...
Then the change mentioned above to the chomium-browser script to stop chromium disabling the gpu.

cruster

Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:50 am

Thanks. And in chromium-browser, you comment out the if - fi block containing this line -

CHROMIUM_FLAGS="${CHROMIUM_FLAGS} --disable-gpu"

?

clicky

Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:58 pm

cruster wrote: Thanks. And in chromium-browser, you comment out the if - fi block containing this line -

CHROMIUM_FLAGS="${CHROMIUM_FLAGS} --disable-gpu"

?
I've just done it and everything still works +

Code: Select all

Graphics Feature Status
WebGL: Hardware accelerated
WebGL2: Hardware accelerated
Not really sure what it did at the end - my OpenGl (WebGL) are not showing (for the naked eye) much of an improvement (but that might be me hoping for something significant! LOL)

caldimerda

Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:17 pm

TBH, I'm pretty impressed. It plays youtube on my 27 inch monitor pretty well. I can open mpeg files and play them as well, with the audio through my bluetooth speaker. There are issues with other features but they'll get ironed out.

I've been in IT for more than 30 years and part of my role now is softwre engineering. But I still can't really get my head around how tricky it must be to release a product that;s entirely dependent on open-source software and hence the open-source community. The job of assembing and managing a team of pre-release developers adds a dimension to product release that I know nothing about and I'm very impressed by the job they've done on the Pi 4.

cruster

Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:13 pm

Well, the first time around I don't know what I managed to get wrong but the Chromium browser just refused to start anymore.

But.

A fresh install of Buster plus the chromium-browser file edit and the (previous) sudo rpi-update now sees youtube @720p v happy.
Therefore. So am I! (V happy) :D

Edit: Spoke too soon. Chrome (Youtube) has locked up a couple of times. I think I'm going to wait for the official release. When it does work - it's v impressive. Just to add - the problem seems to occur if you pause youtube playback for a while and then play. Lock up.

Pfuriosus77

Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:35 pm

Hello everyone. I updated the firmware as suggested in this thread using sudo rpi-update. Everything went well and was able to reboot successfully however checking hardware acceleration via chrome:\\gpu still showed same values as before even though I edited chromium-browser and commented out the —disable-gpu block. I tried booting from a fresh card and raspian buster image, booted fine and then the system updates were downloaded and installed without issues. Here is where things went bad however - upon reboot pi is stuck on the rainbow screen. Tried everything, including a noobs image on yet another card and going back to the initial card used for the firmware update. Strangely, these also get stuck at the rainbow stage. However, it is not an SD card issue as the same cards work fine and boot properly in my rpi 3b+. Other than swapping out the cards, did not touch the hardware, same power supply and everything. Tried the boot_delay=1, same result. Anyone have any ideas? Could the system update initiated by the new raspian image have caused what I can only term as “bricking” of the pi 4? Perhaps the update process is not compatible with the new firmware?

Gavinmc42

Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:48 am

sudo rpi-update?
I have used that for Pi3 and older .
Not sure if it works for Pi4?

So far sudo apt-get update/upgrade are working.
12+tabs and watching VT no problem.

Sounds like you bricked the sd card, ie non Pi4 OS.
Don't think you can brick the Pi4, that would require rewriting the secondary boot EEPROM.
The software to do that has not been released.

Reburn Buster on the uSD and start again.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

pik33

Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:29 am

I did the rpi-update, switched off the composition and commented out gpu disable. The YT video is visibly better.

What I got from Chrome now, is:

Code: Select all

WebGL: Hardware accelerated
WebGL2: Hardware accelerated

clicky

Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:35 am

I tried out some WebGL stuff like this: http://madebyevan.com/webgl-water/
and I can't say it is smooth and very responsive - but it works :)

TheProrok29

Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:51 am

I don't know what version of firmware I get using rpi-update command but on stock I was able to overclock rpi to 1,75GHz CPU. But now after update I was able to overclock my Pi4 stable in this settings : GPU:600MHz and CPU: 2000MHz. Awesome. I using both heatsink and case with fan. Temperature is 40celcius in Idle and 60celscius on 100% stress test sysbench. 10000 point using 4threads is about 17,5s. In Speedometer 2.0 i reach 20 runs per minute.

Gavinmc42

Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:56 am

I tried out some WebGL
How fast is the Aquarium example?
http://webglsamples.org/
I only got 1fps on Buster/Pi4 but have got 3fps with Pi3B+/Gentoo64.
I think even later releases got to 12-15fps?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

TheProrok29

Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:36 pm

I got 19-25ps on Buster/Pi4.

caldimerda

Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:45 pm

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:56 am
I tried out some WebGL
How fast is the Aquarium example?
http://webglsamples.org/
I only got 1fps on Buster/Pi4 but have got 3fps with Pi3B+/Gentoo64.
I think even later releases got to 12-15fps?
Mostly on my Pi 4 now I'm getting around 11-12 FPS. Sometimes it pops down to 7 or 8 and other times up to 16 depending on what the fish are doing!
I've got the latest (non-stable) Kernel (via rpi-update) and stcck chromium settings with an additional "--enable-native-gpu-memory-buffers" added to 00-rpi-vars although I don't think that's added anything other than turning the setting green in chrome://gpu (I just can't resist tinkering).
I'm not overclocking.

cruster

Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:34 pm

I've got the latest (non-stable) Kernel (via rpi-update) and stcck chromium settings with an additional "--enable-native-gpu-memory-buffers" added to 00-rpi-vars although I don't think that's added anything other than turning the setting green in chrome://gpu (I just can't resist tinkering).
I'm not overclocking.
What and where is 00-rpi-vars ? :D

Pfuriosus77

Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:53 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have tried booting from a brand new card with the latest buster image but still stuck at the rainbow screen after:
1. installing the latest firmware via sudo rpi-update (thing went well, no errors, but hardware acceleration still not enabled, even with the disable-gpu commented out)
2. I switched to a new card/buster image;
3. ran system updates;
4. rebooted
Everything I have tried after this ends in up stuck at the rainbow stage, including another brand new card and image.
Could the system update have modified/corrupted the EEPROM somehow? Any ideas for how to reset the pi would be greatly appreciated!

caldimerda

Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:44 pm

cruster wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:34 pm
I'm not overclocking.
What and where is 00-rpi-vars ? :D
Ah. That's the config file read by Chromium to set it's start up flags - /etc/chromium-browser/customizations/00-rpi-vars. The chromium browser start script /usr/bin/chromium-browser reads that and then applies changes - specifically at present it disables the gpu. So you need to keep an eye on both files.

Pfuriosus77

Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:51 pm

I can also confirm that repairing the BOOT EEPROM as described in https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... i4#p437084 and https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... teeprom.md does not help even though the process seems to be successful (continuous LED flashing after booting from the repair SD). Also 3V3 is fine on the board.

cruster

Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:19 pm

Ah. That's the config file read by Chromium to set it's start up flags - /etc/chromium-browser/customizations/00-rpi-vars. The chromium browser start script /usr/bin/chromium-browser reads that and then applies changes - specifically at present it disables the gpu. So you need to keep an eye on both files.
Awesome. Thank you!

Youtube for me here is still a v hit & miss affair. It will now play @ 720p at a good frame rate (i.e not a slide show) but pausing the video, or sometimes another video just loading after the first has finished will usually cause Chrome to randomly lock up, requiring a reboot.

I'm all up to date with update/upgrade, firmware rpi-update & chromium-browser file edit. <phew>

Youtube for me, best described as "very flaky"

Return to “General discussion”