Muse

Raspberry Pi 4 no input, black screen

Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:41 pm

Hi.

I recently purchased the 4gb model of the new Pi 4, I first realised I needed a micro hdmi to hdmi, so I bought that. Then I thought I'd try to just use my 8gb memory card that I was previously using with my Pi2 with no problems. However when I inserted a mouse, keyboard, micro hdmi, and then finally the Power cable but to no avail, nothing happened. I get a green light flash for one second with the red, and then only red.
So I thought maybe its the sd card, so I bought a new 64gb one, I've loaded Noobs 3.0.1 onto it, plugged everything else in, and its still black! still says no input.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 no input, black screen

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:43 pm

Muse wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:41 pm
Hi.

I recently purchased the 4gb model of the new Pi 4, I first realised I needed a micro hdmi to hdmi, so I bought that. Then I thought I'd try to just use my 8gb memory card that I was previously using with my Pi2 with no problems. However when I inserted a mouse, keyboard, micro hdmi, and then finally the Power cable but to no avail, nothing happened. I get a green light flash for one second with the red, and then only red.
So I thought maybe its the sd card, so I bought a new 64gb one, I've loaded Noobs 3.0.1 onto it, plugged everything else in, and its still black! still says no input.

NoobS 3.1.1 includes Raspbian Buster which is the only Operating System Officially supported by the RPT / RPF for the RPi 4B:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/noobs/

IMO do not use NoobS and just use Etcher software to create a Raspbian Buster bootable SD Card:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

https://www.balena.io/etcher/
Retired disgracefully.....
......to a more gentile life !

Muse

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:11 pm

Thanks for replying. I am a noob! With this stuff. I got this to get into this stuff. And because my iMac died.

I am having trouble creating a raspbian buster bootable as card... I downloaded sdcardformat and formatted. I then used the FAT32 Format for my 64gb card so it would be compatible. Then I downloaded balenaetcher as well as the raspbian buster full, and flashed it in full onto the SD drive.
Still no avail....

I then read on the pi website "if your raspberry pi will not boot, it is possible that the SPI EEPROM has become corrupted" so on a separate SD I downloaded the bootloader, extracted it and inserted it. I connected the power and the green light flashed indefinitely which was intended....

I then put back in my formatted 64 with raspbian on and nothing appears on screen. I lie. Actually the first time I tried the colour hue popped up and I got the four raspberries in the corner, but then nothing, no green light.
I waited but nothing appeared so disconnected power and retried. I got some green lights flashing intermittently until eventually the green light stops flashing all together and I have blank screen and a red light.

Will try again tomorrow. Done for the day. Would love any help

k-pi

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:38 pm

I'm having more or less the same trouble, & I'm not a newbie to Linux, seems there's something wrong with the present distro.

Your welcome to take a look & see what I've tried already - https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3&t=244431

Muse

Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:43 pm

So I've managed to get it working. It seems it was corrupted and required resetting. I used a separate memory card for this, and let the green light flash for a minute. I then disconnected power and reconnected it with the card with Raspbian and it booted just fine.

Recovery

"If your Raspberry Pi 4 will not boot, it is possible that the SPI EEPROM has become corrupted.

To check, remove the SD card, disconnect the device from power, then reconnect it. If the green LED does not flash, you will need to reprogram the EEPROM:

Download the bootloader
Extract it to an empty FAT-formatted SD card and insert it into your Raspberry Pi 4
Connect the power and wait for the green LED to flash quickly
Ref: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/
"

Corbod89

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:14 pm

Hey,
Complete noob here having the same problem. Tried a number of steps (see below)

1 - Reinstalling NOOBs/Raspbian onto a new SD card (tried this a couple of times).
2- Reprogrammed the EEPROM.

Still just get a blank screen when U put the power cable in. I just get a solid red light in the RPI4, so I'm guessing its reading the SD card correctly now and its just the connection to the screen (correct me if I am wrong)?

Im using an LG TV screen which i also use for my Nintendo Swtich, could this be the problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Looking forward to getting it all sorted and trying new things with the Raspberry Pi

Thanks a mill

jeffcodes

Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:12 am

I'm having the same problems. Black screen, I don't even get the initial splash screen. I've tried flashing the bootloader and that does not help.

I have even had mixed success getting the red and green led's to light up.

I did verify that my SD card and the install was successful by running it on my Pi 3 B.

I have tried to SSH into the machine but I can't even get it to register an IP address on my wired network. I thought perhaps the micro HDMI adapter I bought was DOA. That doesn't appear to be the issue either.

I used etcher to flash OS to the disk.

Pretty out of tools in my toolbox at this point. I had to order this thing from the UK, so I hope it doesn't have to go back...

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: I downloaded and flashed the Buster with desktop only ( I was trying Buster full with recommended software), and got it to boot finally. I got the immediate Rasbian splash screen, and then it took several minutes for it to fully boot up and into the set-up screen. Walking through set-up also took another several minutes. After this, the system rebooted and it was running fairly smooth. I tried an NES emulator and the sound is pretty broken up, and frame rate was terrible. This is par for the course from what I've read. Still some work needed to get the most out of this little board.

jeffcodes

Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:24 pm

jeffcodes wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:12 am
I'm having the same problems. Black screen, I don't even get the initial splash screen. I've tried flashing the bootloader and that does not help.

I have even had mixed success getting the red and green led's to light up.

I did verify that my SD card and the install was successful by running it on my Pi 3 B.

I have tried to SSH into the machine but I can't even get it to register an IP address on my wired network. I thought perhaps the micro HDMI adapter I bought was DOA. That doesn't appear to be the issue either.

I used etcher to flash OS to the disk.

Pretty out of tools in my toolbox at this point. I had to order this thing from the UK, so I hope it doesn't have to go back...

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: I downloaded and flashed the Buster with desktop only ( I was trying Buster full with recommended software), and got it to boot finally. I got the immediate Rasbian splash screen, and then it took several minutes for it to fully boot up and into the set-up screen. Walking through set-up also took another several minutes. After this, the system rebooted and it was running fairly smooth. I tried an NES emulator and the sound is pretty broken up, and frame rate was terrible. This is par for the course from what I've read. Still some work needed to get the most out of this little board.
I haven't touched my Pi in a few days, and now I'm back to square one. No splash screen. No inputs. The red and green LED do some flashing initially, and then the red stays on, the green goes out, and nothing on screen... WTF is up with this board?

jeffcodes

Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:53 pm

jeffcodes wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:24 pm
I haven't touched my Pi in a few days, and now I'm back to square one. No splash screen. No inputs. The red and green LED do some flashing initially, and then the red stays on, the green goes out, and nothing on screen... WTF is up with this board?
This post is helpful of you find yourself here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 8#p1485558

Use a computer monitor. It doesn't seem to like TV's ...

uncraftablecreeper

Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:24 am

Corbod89 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:14 pm
Hey,
Complete noob here having the same problem. Tried a number of steps (see below)

1 - Reinstalling NOOBs/Raspbian onto a new SD card (tried this a couple of times).
2- Reprogrammed the EEPROM.

Still just get a blank screen when U put the power cable in. I just get a solid red light in the RPI4, so I'm guessing its reading the SD card correctly now and its just the connection to the screen (correct me if I am wrong)?

Im using an LG TV screen which i also use for my Nintendo Swtich, could this be the problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Looking forward to getting it all sorted and trying new things with the Raspberry Pi

Thanks a mill
the green light indicates that the sd card is being read if its not on it can mean a couple of things
1.sd card not inserted properly
2.nothing is on the card
3.corrupted image
4 dead card
note: if the green light is flashing its fine
THE PI IS A LIE :D

mors3

Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:02 pm

Quick update to this that might help someone.

I'm lucky enough that in my house I have a few different screens/monitors, so after verifying that the Raspbian Buster image I was writing was ok (sha256 hash check) and the green flashing light was doing what it should (with no card solid on for a couple of seconds, then off/on/off/on/off/on/off/on then off, with sdcard in lots of quick green flashes for a couple of minutes, then just the red light, indicating the computer had booted normally and was now just waiting for the user to do something interesting) I was confident that the Pi was working ok, but the screen simply couldn't display what the Pi was telling it to.

So I took the Pi off to a monitor that was reasonably high definition (better than 1080p, so will display higher than 1920 X 1080) and it then worked perfectly.
So to properly solve it I then enabled VNC (using the Raspberry Pi Configuration application in the main menu -> preferences, then go into the Interfaces tab).
I shut down the Pi, moved it to the screen I wanted to use it with, plugged it in and booted it up.
Still a black screen, as expected.

I then used another computer with VNC Viewer, connected it to the Pi and I can see the desktop, (little bit eerie, if a pixel is being displayed on the wire but not on the screen, does it truly exist?).

I then went into Screen Configuration in the main menu -> Preferences and selected the HDMI-1 display (as my HDMI cable is plugged into the port closest to the USB C power port, which is HDMI port 1).

Then go into the Configure menu, down to Screens, pick your screen (I only have HDMI-1 as that's the only screen connected), then into Resolution and set it to something low (I set mine to 800 X 600) and press the green tick icon on the toolbar to apply the change.

(If the screen suddenly wakes up for you, then this will be the way to solve it)
Keep going up in resolution and applying the change until the screen goes black again, and when it does just select cancel to revert to the last size you were on (the one that worked before you selected a resolution that was too high for the monitors capability).

This was the quickest, easiest way to test and get this running for me, you may find a neater way :)

As a final thought, as I said I've a few screens I could test this with in my home, and the one that was fine from the get-go was a simple monitor, the others were ones with multiple inputs so I have a suspicion that it may be something to do with the way that the Pi asks the screen what it's capable resolutions are and if its a normal screen it's quite explicit, but a screen that's designed to be connected to a wide variety of different types of inputs is a lot more flexible, so the Pi throws it's hands up and shouts 'FINE! I'm going to display at 1366 X 768 then cos that's my favourite resolution!' and the screen is just sad.

MisterEd

Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:15 am

mors3 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:02 pm
Quick update to this that might help someone.

I'm lucky enough that in my house I have a few different screens/monitors, so after verifying that the Raspbian Buster image I was writing was ok (sha256 hash check) and the green flashing light was doing what it should (with no card solid on for a couple of seconds, then off/on/off/on/off/on/off/on then off, with sdcard in lots of quick green flashes for a couple of minutes, then just the red light, indicating the computer had booted normally and was now just waiting for the user to do something interesting) I was confident that the Pi was working ok, but the screen simply couldn't display what the Pi was telling it to.

So I took the Pi off to a monitor that was reasonably high definition (better than 1080p, so will display higher than 1920 X 1080) and it then worked perfectly.
So to properly solve it I then enabled VNC (using the Raspberry Pi Configuration application in the main menu -> preferences, then go into the Interfaces tab).
I shut down the Pi, moved it to the screen I wanted to use it with, plugged it in and booted it up.
Still a black screen, as expected.

I then used another computer with VNC Viewer, connected it to the Pi and I can see the desktop, (little bit eerie, if a pixel is being displayed on the wire but not on the screen, does it truly exist?).

I then went into Screen Configuration in the main menu -> Preferences and selected the HDMI-1 display (as my HDMI cable is plugged into the port closest to the USB C power port, which is HDMI port 1).

Then go into the Configure menu, down to Screens, pick your screen (I only have HDMI-1 as that's the only screen connected), then into Resolution and set it to something low (I set mine to 800 X 600) and press the green tick icon on the toolbar to apply the change.

(If the screen suddenly wakes up for you, then this will be the way to solve it)
Keep going up in resolution and applying the change until the screen goes black again, and when it does just select cancel to revert to the last size you were on (the one that worked before you selected a resolution that was too high for the monitors capability).

This was the quickest, easiest way to test and get this running for me, you may find a neater way :)

As a final thought, as I said I've a few screens I could test this with in my home, and the one that was fine from the get-go was a simple monitor, the others were ones with multiple inputs so I have a suspicion that it may be something to do with the way that the Pi asks the screen what it's capable resolutions are and if its a normal screen it's quite explicit, but a screen that's designed to be connected to a wide variety of different types of inputs is a lot more flexible, so the Pi throws it's hands up and shouts 'FINE! I'm going to display at 1366 X 768 then cos that's my favourite resolution!' and the screen is just sad.
I have also noticed that for different Raspberry Pi and monitor combinations a different set of resolutions are shown. I have also noticed that not all of the shown resolutions will work when selected. If the new selected resolution does not work correctly not selecting OK will cause the resolution to revert back to the previous one. One time I mistakenly selected OK when the new resolution was not compatible. Shutting down and rebooting returned the PI to a working resolution.

My 21-inch monitor works fine at 1080p but I prefer to run the Pi 4 at 720p. I hooked up the Pi 4 to my 55-inch 1080p TV but it will not work at 1080p. I have to lower the resolution on the Pi 4 to make that work. I wonder if using a better video cable might make a difference.

Mr.Linux

Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:08 pm

My nephew bought the 512 MB Raspberry Pi just to mess with and see what a $5 computer could do for him. He spent in total about $30 and not bad for a hobby PC. He found the webpages took long time loading boot time was long too, but it was only $5! So then he took it up a notch and bought this Raspberry Pi 4 B. It has 4 GB and all sorts of ports etc... well I sure you know.

But he stopped by my place telling me, Hey this thing came in broken! We went over installing Noobs last week and running in circles FOR HOURS and finally gave up. Last night he and I were messing with the damn thing at his place. We came across this thread and I read the post above by MisterEd. I asked him if he had any other HDMI monitors, in house, and answer was no. We only have his BIG screen 4K smart TV... oh but wait! We also have a working $5, 512 MB Raspberry Pi... oooh!

We plugged the SD card from the 4 GB into the smaller one. Up came the image poof! Now we told it not to boot to Desktop but boot to CLI and we swapped the SD cards and rebooted on the 4 GB. We can see text only but the text is running about 2 lines off the bottom edge of the TV. I have to trust my typing skills. As soon as, I typed 'startx' back to black and loss of input. We left it there last night.

Now I am heading over to his place today in about 4 hours to try this;
$ tvservice -d edid.dat
$ edidparser edid.dat > edid.txt
This should produce the information I need to set HDMI group and mode.
$ sudo nano /boot/config.txt
and set the 2 lines;
hdmi_group=##
hdmi_mode=##
save and reboot.

I hope that works, if it does, I will let you know. Thanks to MisterEd, we found a similar method. If you don't have an extra monitor laying around, maybe buy a $5 Raspberry pi to repair the $55 Raspberry? It is a lot cheaper than another monitor. :lol:

Mr.Linux

Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:04 pm

I should correct what I wrote earlier, it was also a big thanks to Mors3 that this all worked. The screen size is not perfect but it did work.

I am now telling everyone about the PCs the size of a deck of playing cards that can be used to surf the web and other office usage. I doubt you would ever want to play an intense 3D game on that little thing. My nephew is into this like I am, it is a nice hobby PC. He plans to use it to secure his network by piping all the DNS traffic through it. It will add another layer of security to protect him from the evil-doers of the web.

Thanks for that post.

jiapei100

Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:06 pm

This happened to me twice already. What I've done is

Code: Select all

sudo reboot
from ssh

and, my Raspberry Pi 4 seems still bootable, but ONLY but into a black screen.

From remote, neither ssh nor ping is working again.

Can anybody give me some suggestions?

Thank you very much
Pei
Welcome to Vision Open
http://www.visionopen.com

wolkenflitzer

Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:10 am

It seems maybe stupid but i got the same or a very similar problem. first i formatted the sd card with sd card formatter as described in all tutorials. this formats to exFAT. i use a 64 gb card. the led was only red which indicates to me that there ist nothing happening.

after some online research i came up with the requirement that the bootloader needs a FAT32 formatted card. the i formatted it on my win with https://www.wintotal.de/download/fat32-format/. copied boot files and it works directly.
greetings

Return to “General discussion”