pik33

Stretch->buster: experiences, hints?

Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:37 pm

I did live upgrade from stretch to buster on my RPi3. It works OK on this Rpi3 after the upgrade.

Then I tried it on RPi4: it hangs in the middle of startup process.

I will try to search what went wrong... but then: what are your experiences with such an upgrade?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Stretch->buster: experiences, hints?

Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:48 pm

pik33 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:37 pm
I did live upgrade from stretch to buster on my RPi3. It works OK on this Rpi3 after the upgrade.

Then I tried it on RPi4: it hangs in the middle of startup process.

I will try to search what went wrong... but then: what are your experiences with such an upgrade?

The Stretch to Buster upgrade is not recommended as stated in Blog:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/buster ... -raspbian/

The 4B only supports Buster, so it makes sense to start with a fresh install considering the hardware is considerably different.

I have been running a fresh Buster and many updates since it was released 20th June 2019
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired disgracefully.....

gkaiseril

Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:53 pm

Although it is possible to upgrade an SD card from Stretch to Buster, almost everyone suggest that one starts with a new SD card and installs buster from scratch.

If one wants to upgrade from Stretch to Buster, always make a backup of your current running system. It is always easier to insert a backup SD card than reverse a bad upgrade.

Buster needs a larger fat16/32 boot partition, which can be difficult to accomplish even for an advance user and can destroy data if the user is not careful.

Having a backup SD will allow one to use the apt tool or synaptic to make a list of which packages were installed in Stretch and then use that list to install them in Buster. Not all packages will install or remain installed in Buster.

The early release of Buster means there will be lots of updates and packages not available today but will be in the future.

You will be running on the bleeding edge of Raspbian and you will get burned, cut and wounded several times over the coming months. So if you want a stable running system keep a backup of your current Stretch instillation and experiment with a new Buster version.
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

pik33

Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:21 pm

As it is now I have

- a fresh Buster running on Pi4,

- an updated from Stretch version, running on RPi3, not running on RPi4

- an old not updated stretch on rpi3

so I am still safe :) I simply wanted to have the same system for all my RPis.

W. H. Heydt

Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:27 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:48 pm
The Stretch to Buster upgrade is not recommended as stated in Blog:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/buster ... -raspbian/
Upgrades from one major release to the next is *never* recommended. However, it's been done successfully. I upgraded about 10 Pis from Jessie to Stretch without any problems. That said, when I get in a Pi4B, with one exception (a system that boots from an HDD), I will start them with a fresh install of Buster.

Trixster

Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:36 am

I had a go at upgrading my stretch sd card to buster. It seemed to work ok but I started running into issue - LMS would not work, network mounts in fstab wouldn’t mount and most problematically startx would fail to load the desktop consistently and xauthority would start locking itself. I’ve succesfully migrated this set up from wheezy to Jessie to stretch and this is the first time I’ve hit showstoppers. So I’ve caved in and reflashed to buster.

Return to “General discussion”