ldr1

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B touchscreen

Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:59 am

Hello everyone,

I am completely new to the Raspberry Pi world, yesterday i decided to experiment with Raspberry and purchased the Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 4Gb. I want to make it as portable as possible and im looking for a touchscreen, what do you recommend?

I have looked at this https://thepihut.com/collections/raspbe ... ouchscreen do you recommend it for the Pi 4? is it just plug and play?

Thank you for the help

fruitoftheloom

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B touchscreen

Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:57 pm

ldr1 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am completely new to the Raspberry Pi world, yesterday i decided to experiment with Raspberry and purchased the Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 4Gb. I want to make it as portable as possible and im looking for a touchscreen, what do you recommend?

I have looked at this https://thepihut.com/collections/raspbe ... ouchscreen do you recommend it for the Pi 4? is it just plug and play?

Thank you for the help

The nearest you will get to plug'n'pray is the Raspbian Pi Official Touchscreen:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... h-display/
Retired disgracefully.....

DougieLawson

Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:43 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:57 pm
ldr1 wrote:
Hello everyone,

Thank you for the help

The nearest you will get to plug'n'pray is the Raspbian Pi Official Touchscreen:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... h-display/
The touch screen is NOT plug and play by any stretch of the imagination. If you want to risk blowing up a £60 screen and a £40 Raspberry just try it. If you disconnect the screen it won't restart without a full scale power cycle.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

ldr1

Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:34 pm

Thank you for the quick reply.

What if I was to connect the touchscreen and just leave it at that"? Could I still connect the raspberry to a monitor using the hdmi connection? As if expanding monitor?

W. H. Heydt

Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:21 pm

ldr1 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:34 pm
Thank you for the quick reply.

What if I was to connect the touchscreen and just leave it at that"? Could I still connect the raspberry to a monitor using the hdmi connection? As if expanding monitor?
From what I've read, yes. Look for the thread about dual-display testing (and not to be confused with the dual-HDMI capability of the Pi4B). I don't normally do that, though I suppose I should try it. When I want a bigger screen with my "portable" Pi rig, I don't supply power to the RPF 7" screen, but neither do I disconnect it.

All of this does raise another possibility for you which would be rather more "plug-n-play". The Pi4B has dual HDMI output. You could use a small (5" to 10") HDMI display and a larger, "desktop" display at the same time.

ldr1

Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:37 pm

Thank you for the help

hardwaremack-orginal

Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:16 pm

yeah the price and the resolution
is 2 negatives of the official Raspi screen.

the screen rotating upside down was annoying,
and the additional cost of the rear ( back ) is also annoying.

Yakbutter

Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:49 am

I bought the timeshare 10.1" touchscreen model b and am very confused plug almost any 3b into it and it runs fine.

But t I want to use the 4, ok bought 3 of th e m.

But the 4 won't even boot w I t plugged in.

This s screen is kind of wAcky. It requires usb connection for th e touch. A nd the Jimi connection f or video playbAck.

Plus it must be plugged into 20 of th e 40
Pins

I'm pretty e try s ure something about that glioblastoma connection as d s p.

J

mullcom

Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:56 am

Hello...

I am also intressted in to find touchscreen to Pi4 7" it a bit small and hope it come one that are a bit lager.

Return to “General discussion”