reichs

NAS Server / Samba on Raspbian

Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:19 pm

Hallo,
I want to run a RPi as NAS with Samba to access my data on the pi over the network, but I don not really get in running properly.

I created /home/shares/Nas-Speicher1 . The smb.conf is adjusted according to a tutorial and links to the /home/shares/Nas-Speicher1

Furthermore, I did more or less the following steps in the terminal:

Code: Select all

addgroup nasuser
adduser benutzer123
usermod -aG nasuser benutzer123
smbpasswd -a benutzer123
sudo chmod 770 -R /home/shares/NAS-Speicher1
sudo chown root:nasuser -R /home/shares/NAS-Speicher1
service smbd restart
sudo chown root:nasuser -R /home/shares/NAS-Speicher1
--> for this command it says, that I do not have permissions ("chown: changing ownership of "/home/shares/NAS-Speicher1": Operation not permitted").

If I mount a USB-Stick (FAT) into the directory /home/shares/Nas-Speicher1, then everything works properly. I can create, change, and read data from my Windows-Laptop.
If I mount my 1TB NTFS-external Harddisk, then I see the directorys, but I cannot open files, create new files or anything from windows.
The same, if I have not external drive mounted and try to just create a file on the Pi into the directory /home/shares/NAS-Speicher1.

It always says, that I dont have the permissions.

In the end I just want to plug in the Harddisks, and I want to have a password protection, that not everyone in my network can change or see data on the NAS. On my 1TB HD, there are also quite a lot of data, so I dont want to format it in a Linux format, if I can find another solution.

Can anyone help me, how to fix this permissions-topic?

LTolledo

Re: NAS Server / Samba on Raspbian

Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:38 pm

Welcome to the forums!

just to check, have you installed ntfs-3g?
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

PhatFil

Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:30 pm

If its a dedicated NAS/Pi perhaps check out OpenMediaVault? there is a Pi specific image and Its web gui is very intuitive, although a bit clunky ;)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/openme ... %20images/

chwe

Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:00 am

PhatFil wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:30 pm
If its a dedicated NAS/Pi perhaps check out OpenMediaVault? there is a Pi specific image and Its web gui is very intuitive, although a bit clunky ;)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/openme ... %20images/
and the RPi4 is currently not supported.. Only changes if Tkaiser has time and motivation to do it. ;)

Return to “General discussion”