jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Charger compatibility with the Pi 4 (Single Type C CC resistor on Pi4)

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:06 am

JamesPi123 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:00 am
So what can I do if I want to power it from my MacBook pro charger? Use a cheap cable that is not "e-marked" or is there some funny solution I need.
I think that will work. Or just use the official charger, it's not expensive, and you be able to charge your Macbook whilst using the Pi.
JamesPi123 wrote:
By the way, what was the purpose of making a custom circuit when there was already a mandatory reference design.
https://medium.com/@leung.benson/how-to ... 470d7a5910
No idea. Probably just a simple mistake which will be rectified in a board revision in the next few months.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

scorpia

Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:44 pm

@jamesh, Is there going to be an announcement when a version with the fix is released or is there somewhere where I can subscribe to notifications on product changes that would include the fix being released. As I would like to add an update to my blog post when a fixed version is released to note that a version with the fixes is in circulation and how to identify which version a user has.

JamesPi123

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:09 pm

jamesh wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:06 am
JamesPi123 wrote:
So what can I do if I want to power it from my MacBook pro charger? Use a cheap cable that is not "e-marked" or is there some funny solution I need.
I think that will work. Or just use the official charger, it's not expensive, and you be able to charge your Macbook whilst using the Pi.
JamesPi123 wrote:
By the way, what was the purpose of making a custom circuit when there was already a mandatory reference design.
https://medium.com/@leung.benson/how-to ... 470d7a5910
No idea. Probably just a simple mistake which will be rectified in a board revision in the next few months.
So I should just wait until a new revision?

dickon

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:15 pm

JamesPi123 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:09 pm
So I should just wait until a new revision?
Only if you really, really need the ability to power the thing from some arbitrary mobile phone charger you happen to have lying around.

So no. You shouldn't.

(Or buy a better mobile phone. I recommend the Gemini from Planet as it's the first decent Android phone ever built; its charger is quite happy to power the Pi4, which is a happy discovery).

Return to “General discussion”