ERICTBO

LINUX to WIN 10 Remote Desktop Connectivity

Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:01 pm

Hi, this is my first time posting and I'm hoping someone will take pity on me and guide me in the right direction. The short version of my story is that I'm looking for a way to install a Raspberry Pi into a robot of sorts so that we can connect to it via Windows 10 remote desktop. Is this possible?

ejolson

Re: LINUX to WIN 10 Remote Desktop Connectivity

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:32 pm

ERICTBO wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:01 pm
Hi, this is my first time posting and I'm hoping someone will take pity on me and guide me in the right direction. The short version of my story is that I'm looking for a way to install a Raspberry Pi into a robot of sorts so that we can connect to it via Windows 10 remote desktop. Is this possible?
Yes. For remote desktop the programs to install on the Pi are called xrdp and xorgxrdp. Unfortunately, from what I understand, these programs are not available as standard packages in Raspbian and have to be installed from source. While not particularly difficult, I do not know of a good tutorial that explains how to do this on the Raspberry Pi. Perhaps someone else can make a suggestion.

B.Goode

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:07 pm

I'm looking for a way to install a Raspberry Pi into a robot of sorts so that we can connect to it via Windows 10 remote desktop.

VNC is another option, Raspberry Pi documentation here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md

DavidS

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:27 pm

As with any computer use VNC. VNC is the "Remote Desktop" protocol that is not dependent on any proprietary system.

There are many VNC Clients for Windows, and most Linux distros come with a VNC Server.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

hippy

Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:09 pm

Installing "xrdp" works just fine and is an installable package under Stretch and Buster. It is / was recommended to uninstall VNC first,

otalado

Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:17 am

I can install XRDP on RPi4/Buster just fine. However I've spent hours on trying to change keyboard layout to suit my needs. There is bunch of information on how to do it, unfortunately most of it seems to be obsolete. After removing VNC (as recommended) and installing XRDP I tried these steps:
xrdp-genkeymap km-00000424.ini (for Slovenian layout, which I want, as found at https://sourceforge.net/p/rdesktop/code ... es.txt#l82)
sudo mv km-00000242.ini /etc/xrdp
sudo chown root:root /etc/xrdp/km-00000424.ini
sudo service xrdp restart
This steps are the most commonly recommended but unfortunately they don't work for me - I still end up with English keyboard. There was name changing from Wheezy to Jessie, keyboard file names were like km-0424.ini in Wheezy, then like 00000424.ini in Jessie. I've tried both for Buster, but it didn't work. So, I'm looking for a kind soul with more knowledge than I for a help with that issue.

Regards, Vladimir

fbe

Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:49 am

If you are using Raspbian Stretch or Buster create a file ".xsessionrc" in your home directory (/home/pi) with contents:

Code: Select all

export XAUTHORITY=${HOME}/.Xauthority
After next login via Remote Desktop you can use the "Raspberry Pi Configuration" application to configure your keyboard layout

otalado

Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:58 pm

Hi fbe,
I did what you suggested. I've tried 'Raspberry Pi Configuration' after reboot but it wouldn't start in remote session (nor local). I've tried to achieve the same via raspi-config, but that did not work as well

otalado

Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:40 am

A correction first: when I followed fbe suggestion I messed up and that's why it didn't work for me. When I corrected my mistake, things went the way he described. Unfortunately that did not solve my issue with keyboard layout in XRDP session because in Raspberry Pi Configuration keyboard was already set correctly but XRDP layout was wrong anyway.

I managed to solve my XRDP keyboard layout issue (kind of). I edited /etc/xrdp/xrdp_keyboard.ini file by adding entries for my keyboard layout into [default_rdp_layouts] and [default_layouts_map] sections of this file. Then I added two sections into it::

[rdp_keyboard_si]
keyboard_type=4
keyboard_subtype=1
model=pc105
options=grp:alt_shift_toggle
rdp_layouts=default_rdp_layouts
layouts_map=layouts_map_si

[layouts_map_si]
rdp_layout_si=si
After reboot I finally have the correct keyboard layout, but with minor issue i.e. in terminal widow the country specific character keys are 'deaf', you can press them all you like, but they are not working. Those key are in position of US international keys for [ ] ; ' \ I Interesting thing is that the keyboard works correctly in GUI programs.

Trying to find what's up I found that console keyboard and XRDP keboard are not the same.

(console)
pi@raspberrypi::~ $ xsetxkbmap -query
rules:      evdev
model:      pc105
layout:     si
options:    terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp

(XRDP session)
pi@raspberrypi::~ $ setxkbmap -query
rules:      base
model:      pc104
layout:     si
So far I was not able to identify which file and/or setting is controlling that behavior (I'd like some help about this). This issue is minor one for me but I'd like to have it solved anyway.

As soon as I can, I intend to burn new SD card with Buster so I can test what are the exact steps which I need to do to change the keyboard layout. After that I'll post the results here.

It seems to me that with every new version of Raspbian and/or new version of XRDP things are changing a little, but enough to break the keyboard layout. Most of times changes are involving different files at different places to fix the issues, thus also rendering a lot of preexisting information on keyboard issues invalid.

Return to “General discussion”