Avocachaeng!

Drug testing using Raspberry Pi

Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:22 am

We have to think of a research title and I thought of creating a drug tester by using Raspberry Pi. I'm new to this kind of thing. What could you recommend for the device? I'm really trying to think of research titles but I can't come up with one :cry:

scotty101

Re: Drug testing using Raspberry Pi

Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:14 am

Avocachaeng! wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:22 am
We have to think of a research title and I thought of creating a drug tester by using Raspberry Pi. I'm new to this kind of thing. What could you recommend for the device? I'm really trying to think of research titles but I can't come up with one :cry:
How exactly would you detect drugs with a Raspberry Pi?
I think you need to research methods for detecting drugs rather than the raspberry pi.
The Pi might be something you are able to use to read/display results but the "detection" method is going to be the complex part of the project.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

LTolledo

Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:50 am

depending on the drug to test, you (or perhaps your group) need to get your hands on some proprietary sensors for the drugs to want to test, as those are not readily available in the wild, and those proprietary sensors might be forbiddingly expensive...

if you do get your hands on those sensors, and as scotty101 stated, you can use the RPi to read the sensor readings (assuming you understand how to properly interface the sensors to the RPi), format it to a human understandable format, and other stuff you want to do with it.

the nearest thing you might be able to do is some sort of alcohol breath testing (alcohol is sometimes referred to as an "intoxicating drug") .... there are some readily available sensors that can be configured to do such.
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

webbsmurfen123

Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:33 pm

Hmm.. you mean something that measure the size on the pupils as an example.. (some drugs make the pupils go small and some make the pupil go enormous

BBUK

Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:15 pm

I love coming up with names for stuff.

DoPi (dopey)
High Pive

If I knew what's being tested for and how the test is to work, I'm sure I can think of a few more just as bad!

BBUK

Douglas6

Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:19 pm

Remember, you'll not only need sensors for the drugs you want to test for, you'll need a supplier for the drugs you want to test for.

echmain

Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:30 am

And if you live in the US, it might also require FDA approval.

Avocachaeng!

Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:32 am

webbsmurfen123 wrote:
Hmm.. you mean something that measure the size on the pupils as an example.. (some drugs make the pupils go small and some make the pupil go enormous
Yes something like that but we also thought about it only showing results and not really detecting the drugs.

B.Goode

Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:34 am

Avocachaeng! wrote:
webbsmurfen123 wrote:
Yes something like that but we also thought about it only showing results and not really detecting the drugs.

So maybe you meant something like: "I thought of creating a mock-up of a device that looks like a drug tester" ???

Avocachaeng!

Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:54 am

B.Goode wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:34 am
Avocachaeng! wrote:
webbsmurfen123 wrote:

So maybe you meant something like: "I thought of creating a mock-up of a device that looks like a drug tester" ???
A mock-up device that can detect drugs for more than a week. Maybe the RPi can be programed to improve device?

B.Goode

Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:58 am

Even if you are designing a simulation, the 'research title' is unclear.

Are you simulating the testing/detection of:

Adulteration of foodstuffs by drugs that should not be there?

Failures in food production because drugs that should be present (eg preservatives) have been left out?

Identifying what the active ingredient is in that little blue pill, or heap of white powder?

Whether an individual might have injected or ingested some drug, legal or not?

Referring to the first, and thinking about drinks being tampered with in nightclubs, how about sPIker?

Avocachaeng!

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:17 am

B.Goode wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:58 am
Even if you are designing a simulation, the 'research title' is unclear.

Are you simulating the testing/detection of:

Adulteration of foodstuffs by drugs that should not be there?

Failures in food production because drugs that should be present (eg preservatives) have been left out?

Identifying what the active ingredient is in that little blue pill, or heap of white powder?

Whether an individual might have injected or ingested some drug, legal or not?

Referring to the first, and thinking about drinks being tampered with in nightclubs, how about sPIker?
We're testing whether an individual might have injected or ingested some drug, legal or not

I'm sorry if it's unclear. I'm new to this 😓

scotty101

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:47 am

Avocachaeng! wrote:
We're testing whether an individual might have injected or ingested some drug, legal or not
Through what method do you wish to test this? Blood sample, urine sample, cheek swab, hair sample?
Or do you want to do this by a more passive means like a "sobriety test" maybe measuring their reaction time or their balance?
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

B.Goode

Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:37 pm

I'm sorry if it's unclear. I'm new to this
As far as I am concerned, the scope of "this" at the moment is not about technology but about describing your project requirements in simple unambiguous English.

I am still confused. I think these are all your words:
I thought of creating a drug tester
we also thought about it only showing results and not really detecting the drugs.
A mock-up device that can detect drugs for more than a week.
We're testing whether an individual might have injected or ingested some drug

So, are you actually carrying out tests on a real human subject? (In which case I think you are in need of clinical and ethical guidance from your examiner or supervisor.)

Or are you just demonstrating the user interface for a device that might be able to carry out those tests at a future stage of development?

Or something else...

Avocachaeng!

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:00 pm

scotty101 wrote:
Avocachaeng! wrote:
Through what method do you wish to test this? Blood sample, urine sample, cheek swab, hair sample?
Or do you want to do this by a more passive means like a "sobriety test" maybe measuring their reaction time or their balance?
By blood sample or urine.

Avocachaeng!

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:04 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:37 pm
I'm sorry if it's unclear. I'm new to this
As far as I am concerned, the scope of "this" at the moment is not about technology but about describing your project requirements in simple unambiguous English.

I am still confused. I think these are all your words:
I thought of creating a drug tester
we also thought about it only showing results and not really detecting the drugs.
A mock-up device that can detect drugs for more than a week.
We're testing whether an individual might have injected or ingested some drug

So, are you actually carrying out tests on a real human subject? (In which case I think you are in need of clinical and ethical guidance from your examiner or supervisor.)

Or are you just demonstrating the user interface for a device that might be able to carry out those tests at a future stage of development?

Or something else...
the "not really detecting drugs" part was a problem our group thought about. "Like what if it won't help the device detect the drugs?"

PhatFil

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:32 pm

Avocachaeng! wrote:

Do you intend to get consent from your subjects?

echmain

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:52 pm

Avocachaeng! wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:00 pm
scotty101 wrote:
Avocachaeng! wrote:
By blood sample or urine.
I don't know what country you live in, but in the US you could be walking into a hornet's nest of legalities as well as medical, ethical, and insurance considerations.

Labs that perform drug testing must be licensed by the federal government or the state. And the people at the drug testing labs must have certified training. (my sister did drug testing on employees at a nuclear power plant).

Not being in compliance, you could be in *serious* trouble.

Avocachaeng!

Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:25 am

PhatFil wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:32 pm
Avocachaeng! wrote:

Do you intend to get consent from your subjects?
Yes we do. It is a requirement

B.Goode

Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:44 pm

So this isn't a simulation or mock-up: you actually plan to process real samples from living subjects?

Don't police forces and sporting organisations, as well as health care settings, carry out millions of drug screening tests on blood or urine samples every day?

What is new/different about the research you plan to conduct?

And to make this relevant to the forum you have posted in: how is this related to a Raspberry Pi computer?

chwe

Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:19 am

I think you've to tell more about your background before you can define a project and whenever it makes sense to solve these with a RPi or not. Basically there are two major concepts of drug (whatever we define as a drug) testings.. The immunoassay based ones (e.g. ELISA etc.) and the mass spec based one. The immunoassays are mostly somehow color based (e.g. VIS, IR). There you could probably build some sort of a spectrometer to get a readout of those tests (see if and in which range they're linear etc.). The tests are already available and validated/certified so you don't have to deal with this part. For the mass spec (GC-/LC-MS) based measurements.. this is most likely an overkill for your project.. Firstly, cause initial costs for such a mass spec system starts somewhere around 100k$-500k$ (well, there's not really an end.. :D). Secondly, there's not much you can use an RPi for it.. Control software is highly vendor specific and proprietary (no wonder, a software license starts at 5k$ :D). Analyze the data-sets after measurement can mostly be done with the same software, and otherwise the datastructure isn't as funny to work with.. There are a few opensource libs to do so.. but nobody will do this on a RPi..

So the only way I see is if you build something like a colorimeter (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorimeter_(chemistry)) and try to find an already validated immunoassay which is based on a color change for positive and negative. If you want to keep the same concept (colorimeter) but on a lower budget, there are some nice photometric old fashioned tests to determine ions in water solutions (e.g. copper, nitrate, etc.).

For your own sake.. you don't want to work with blood samples trust me.. :P Saliva and urine are probably the only liquids a body offers which you probably want to work with.. Everything else opens a next rabbit hole.

Return to “General discussion”