forumisto

raspbian wheeze

Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:17 pm

Hello

I have raspbian wheezy on my RPI (the first model).

When I do "sudo apt-get update" I get the next messages:

W: Imposible obtener http://raspberrypi.collabora.com/dists/ ... elease.gpg No se pudo resolver «raspberrypi.collabora.com»
W: Imposible obtener http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/rasp ... f/Packages 404 Not Found
W: Imposible obtener http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/rasp ... f/Packages 404 Not Found

"Imposible obtener" means "Impossible to get"

I need the repositories because I want to install packages like python-pip.

Where can I get the old repository? I have found and I haven't found it.

Thank you

rpdom

Re: raspbian wheeze

Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:24 pm

Wheezy has been moved to an archive server as it is no longer updated. The packages are still available though.

Change any of your sources.list files to point to http://legacy.raspbian.org/raspbian/ instead of http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/

W. H. Heydt

Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:09 pm

Also note...the current release of Raspbian is two entire major releases past Wheezy. It went through Jessie and is now on Stretch. Any time now, it will go to Buster. What you are running is about 6 years out of date.

Imperf3kt

Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:33 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:09 pm
Also note...the current release of Raspbian is two entire major releases past Wheezy. It went through Jessie and is now on Stretch. Any time now, it will go to Buster. What you are running is about 6 years out of date.
In addition to this, during this time several major security patches have been deployed.

If possible, it is highly recommended to update.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

martinmarty

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:32 pm

I am having the same problem with the 404s on apt-get update.

Yes, I am running wheezy, but my goal is to get the OS current. That's why I was doing the update. I was planning to do apt-get upgrade and thinking that would update my OS (from wheezy to stretch? is that possible?).

I am not a Linux powerhouse, so please forgive me for that. This is (always) a learning process. :oops:

Can I upgrade this system in an "automated" way? There is some other software installed that I would rather not have to recreate/reinstall, so that is why I was wanting to do what I am going to call an "in-place upgrade" by which I mean updating the OS while leaving all my user software in place. Then for things that ceased to work, I would address them one at a time.

Anyway, that was the plan. So first I need to determine if this type of multi-release upgrade is possible. If so, I need to resolve the 404s. If not, I guess I will have to start from scratch with a new stretch install and then rebuild everything that I had customized (installed packages, startup stuff, etc).

I am not familiar with the syntax of /etc/apt/sources.list. If the OS I am currently running is wheezy, can I point to a jessie or even stretch repository? Or maybe that is the key point. Maybe what I am trying to do will not work.

All advice appreciated.

THANKS in advance!
-Marty

HawaiianPi

Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:41 pm

martinmarty wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:32 pm
Can I upgrade this system in an "automated" way?
No. Debian/Raspbian is not a rolling release. It does not automatically upgrade from one major release to the next, and doing so manually is not recommended, because it often creates more problems than it solves.

There is some other software installed that I would rather not have to recreate/reinstall, so that is why I was wanting to do what I am going to call an "in-place upgrade" by which I mean updating the OS while leaving all my user software in place. Then for things that ceased to work, I would address them one at a time.
Troubleshooting the problems you are likely to run into will almost certainly be far more difficult that starting over with a fresh (working) OS.

Get a new SD card and install the latest Raspbian release, then use your old card as a reference to configure your new card. In some cases it may be as simple as copying scripts and configuration files from the old card, but some modification may be needed.

Anyway, that was the plan. So first I need to determine if this type of multi-release upgrade is possible
Technically, yes, but I strongly advise against it.

If so, I need to resolve the 404s.
Nope. Wheezy is obsolete and archived, which is why you can't find the old repository links. Redirecting to a current release will resolve the 404 issues, but I still advise against this procedure. If you insist on trying this, get a new card, make a backup, and proceed with upgrading the backup (keeping your original, working cards safe).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

martinmarty

Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:50 am

Thank you very much for the reply.

Although it was not the answer I was hoping for, you have certainly saved me a bunch of time & effort attempting to go down dead-end roads.

I will start with a fresh OS.

The software I am concerned about converting is a combination of apt and git installable packages and programs that I wrote and configured, but it's been about 5 years since I set all this up so I'm sure I have forgotten a lot. There have usually been a few hiccups with OS upgrades because my programs use some hardware features like the GPIO pins, a couple of i2c devices, etc. But it stands to reason that if I got it working once I can get it working again. It will probably do me some good to have a refresher course. I might be able to make some improvements.

Anyway, thanks again for your response. Now I know what direction to go!

-Marty

HawaiianPi

Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:05 am

If your original Pi model B is the first revision, then there are some differences in the GPIO expansion header (besides the obvious addition of 14 extra pins). If it's the second revision, then it aligns with the first 26 pins on the new header.

For example, if you are using GPIO21 (pin #13) on the Rev-1 header, it's now GPIO27 on the Rev-2 and 40 pin headers (GPIO21 is pin #40).

There are a few other differences, as shown in the attached picture.
Raspberry-Pi-GPIO-pinout-diagram-fix.png
Raspberry-Pi-GPIO-pinout-diagram-fix.png (68.91 KiB) Viewed 618 times

martinmarty

Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:43 pm

Thank you, HawaiianPi. I have clean image of Stretch Lite up & running and can start trying to get all my home-grown code to work again.

I also tried an upgrade Wheezy -> Jessie like this: https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/q ... ian-jessie

It took a whole night and did result in a working OS but none of my software came up working. This is no big surprise because problems have not been uncommon even when doing apt-upgrade. That's kind of why I stopped upgrading a few years ago.

Like I said, it is probably a good idea to revisit all my software setup again. This gives me an excuse to make some improvements that I've had in the back of my mind anyway, and if I have to revisit everything I might as well do it with the latest OS and hopefully get a few more years out of it.

Thanks again for your help.
-Marty

martinmarty

Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:12 pm

@HawaiianPi,

FYI, I've got my old code running under Buster Lite now and am over the hurdles of the things I was worried about. Actually the last few years of Raspbian upgrades made a few things easier to set up than they had been previously so that is good. Of course some changes in other packages cause a little adjustment, such as lighttpd which is giving me fits now, but it was a hassle when I set it up before, too, so no surprise. Anyway, I think I got that figured out this afternoon so that should complete "Getting the old stuff to work". Now I can move on to making some improvements.

Just thought I would update you since you helped me out. Glad to be up to date on OS.

Thanks again,
-Marty

HawaiianPi

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:52 pm

Thanks for the update. Congrats on getting everything up and running again.

Return to “General discussion”