Daveolw1

Unable to connect to a different wifi

Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:07 pm

Installed raspberry 3 + and it connected to the wifi of my router which was in the same room, have now moved the raspberry 3 + to another room where the router wifi signal is poor but I have another wifi unit there. It connect to the router wifi but gave the IP address of my Internet line and not the local network which is strange because that is not wireless, tried to get it to connect to the other wifi but after putting the password and clicking ok nothing happens and it just shows two red crosses on the wifi icon.
How do I get it to connect to this wifi?

Thanks David

epoch1970

Re: Unable to connect to a different wifi

Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:38 pm

Poor signal = slow or no connection, this is normal.

Use another device and connect it to that new AP, see how it behaves.
If it gets a LAN IP and the Pi does not, then I guess you've setup a static IP or a fallback IP in the Pi and it uses that.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

Daveolw1

Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:15 pm

Where are these then " setup a static IP or a fallback IP in the Pi ?

In the Network Preferences it has configure SSID and I select the wireless belkin54g, then there is a box automatically configure empty options, with this ticked and click apply nothing happens. With the box unticked what do I put in the options? IPv4, (is this the IP of the wireless unit) IPv6, Router, DNS servers, DNS search?

My laptop connects to this belkin54g but pi will not, do not know how to solve it.

k-pi

Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:43 pm

I'm thinking that you set it up to access one wifi point, & now you need it to access a different wifi point, so you likely need to enter the ESSID & password of the second wifi point.

Daveolw1

Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:05 pm

That's what I have been doing, but it does nothing, just found an article about editing the "wpa_supplicant.conf" file, in that it has:-
network={
ssid="belkin54g"
key_mgmt=NONE
wep_key0="mypassword"
}

network={
ssid="TP-Link_EA2E"
psk="mypassword"
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}
The "TP-Link_EA2E" is the original and "belkin54g" is the one I an trying to connect to.
The ="belkin54g" has "key_mgmt=NONE" where "TP-Link_EA2E" has key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
and "wep_key0" as against "psk".
is the "belkin54g" using a wrong type of password?
Do I need to edit this file (tried to edit but I do not have permission) or change the setting in the "belkin54g"

David

B.Goode

Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:27 pm

So the 'uncooperative' AP is using WEP authentication?

There is a brief mention of this scenario in the Raspberry Pi Foundation documentation: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... ess-cli.md

Maybe the key needs to be provided as hex, not as plain text?

HawaiianPi

Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:06 pm

Wow, I can't believe people are still using WEP (which is a serious security risk). :shock:

As I recall, you don't put quotes around a WEP passphrase (from earlier posts I've seen on the subject).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “General discussion”