foredeck

HDMI to VGA issues

Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:16 pm

Apologies if this is re-treading a topic that's been dealt with a thousand times (btw - I can't search the forums for "HDMI to VGA" as all the words are too common)...

I have just got my Rpi and would like to connect it to an old Dell 1024x768 VGA monitor for my boys to use and so that we don't have to use our one TV as the monitor.

I bought an Active HDMI>VGA adapter from Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Laptop- ... roduct_top) which lists Rpi support but I can't get the display to work.

Rpi is fine as it works perfectly on the TV, connecting to the monitor I get signal detect (orange power light goes green) but no actual display; I suspect some sort of display config issue (if it were Windows I'd be thinking screen resolution...) but can't work out how to adjust it.

I assume there's a config.txt or something I should be altering, but where? And what settings do I need?

(FWIW, my last UNIX was SCO OpenServer V on i86 in about 2000, so I know roughly what I'm doing but have been stuck in Windows-land for FAR too long...)

All help appreciated; many thanks

bgirardot

Re: HDMI to VGA issues

Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:47 pm

The best way to search these forums in a case like you described is with google. you can specify which website to search with the site: syntax, then just how you would normally search google. for example you can put all of the following into a google search box to search these forums:

site:raspberrypi.org hdmi to vga

For sure there are some configs for hdmi in the file:

/boot/config.txt

but I wouldn't know which ones to adjust for an hdmi to vga related issue.

pksato

Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:29 am

Hi,
Open config.txt, and change
hdmi_driver=1
to
hdmi_driver=2

1 is DVI mode, to connect direct to monitor DVI input.
2 is HDMI mode, to connect to a TV, or HDMI input on monitor (if DVI mode not work).

If not work, try hdmi_safe=1 (only 640x480)
if, even not work, adapter fault or it drain lots of power from RPi and can blow up d1 diode.

config.txt is in fat partition, can edited by windows or mac.

lewmur

Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:39 pm

pksato wrote:Hi,

config.txt is in fat partition, can edited by windows or mac.
Why'd you leave out Linux? Also, the OP said the Pi was working with a TV. In that case the fat partition is mounted to the folder /boot and the file can be accessed as /boot/config.txt.

Maine_guy

Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:43 am

Also the line to change is
hdmi_drive=
not
hdmi_driver=

johnbeetem

Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:24 pm

The RasPi Wiki's Verified Peripherals page has a number of suggestions for HDMI -> VGA adapters, with "config.txt" settings.

Here's the link: http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriphera ... rter_boxes

foredeck

Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:31 pm

Thanks to all - got it working with various tweaks to config.txt once I knew where to find it.

Return to “General discussion”