josephchrzempiec

snyology like raspberry pi?

Sun May 26, 2019 1:56 am

Hello i was wondering if anyone know's of something like the snyology interface for raspberry pi. If anyone came up with something like it. I saw a lot of videos saying for DIY Pc type setup. Also i saw some for NAS , freenas, plex for raspberry pi. But i was looking for something like the snyology interface . How i can monitor the disks, memory, cpu, and able to add user and what user go to what drive or folder. I can't seem to find something like it unless I'm typing or searching for the wrong thing.

Joseph

Andyroo

Re: snyology like raspberry pi?

Sun May 26, 2019 2:06 am

You could have a look at Nextcloud https://nextcloud.com/
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

josephchrzempiec

Tue May 28, 2019 8:21 am

Hello Thank you. Nextcloud doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for. However i just recently today found out about OVM Open Vault media and Webmin them two I'm looking into OVM looks promising Webmind looks the same in a way.

LTolledo

Tue May 28, 2019 10:20 am

you just want to share your files/hdd/ssd on the network?

do you have preference to a specific network file format?
or just plain samba will do?
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

josephchrzempiec

Tue May 28, 2019 12:05 pm

This is my problem. I have two drives i would like to raid them as mirror. And both of them drives shared between my two brothers each one of them have half the drive and the other have the other half of the drive. Also to give them there own login and password.

tpyo kingg

Tue May 28, 2019 12:34 pm

You can use mdadm to create a RAID1 device out of your two drives.

Then you can make that device available over the LAN using Samba or NFS. Setting disk quotas would ensure that they are each limited to no more than half.

LTolledo

Tue May 28, 2019 12:35 pm

RAID 1 in RPi, while doable (tried it myself), is not that good

some will even say ".... you might loose your data...." and I did lost my test data on the test RAID that I made (using 2 x 16GB thumdrives) 4 days into the test. So I ditched the idea....

I have been using RPi as a NAS with 2 drives
RPi2B_HDD_rack.jpg
RPi2B_HDD_rack.jpg (233.06 KiB) Viewed 460 times
but am not using those "fancy stuff" like OMV (OMV hates RPi) and Webmin (also tried it about a year ago)
these systems add "overhead" which somewhat slows the system throughput

My system above just use Raspbian Stretch, each HDD is shared via samba. Just a simple setup. It works for my needs.
I have other NAS from other SBCs, serving as a backup of the RPi NAS.

for your system with 2 HDDs, each user can have a partition on HDD1 shared to them exclusively via samba (or other file sharing protocols)
for mirroring use daily (or hourly if you want to) cron job to run rysnc of HDD1 to HDD2 can suffice....
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

josephchrzempiec

Tue May 28, 2019 1:12 pm

Hello Very nice build. partitioning a drive in half is okay. I figured that out. I'm learning about Samba now. How can i assign the users accounts for each half of the drive? Sorry I'm not a programmer i have no clue. But glade to learn what i can.

Joseph

chwe

Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:32 am

LTolledo wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 12:35 pm

but am not using those "fancy stuff" like OMV (OMV hates RPi) and Webmin (also tried it about a year ago)
these systems add "overhead" which somewhat slows the system throughput
My system above just use Raspbian Stretch, each HDD is shared via samba. Just a simple setup. It works for my needs.
I have other NAS from other SBCs, serving as a backup of the RPi NAS.
If OMV would hate RPi why should they provide and test images for it? :P Indeed, the ARM maintainer of OMV might not love the RPi due to obvious reasons, but he still invests the time to provide tested images. I can't speak for the RPi and OMV cause I never used an RPi for NAS purposes.. But all my OMV installations are okay from a overhead perspective..

your throughput limitation is likely due to: https://sourceforge.net/projects/openme ... %20images/
- By default on RPi 3 B+ Fast Ethernet will be used to prevent hassles with bad cabling and under-voltage (Gigabit Ethernet increases the consumption). At the time of this writing Gigabit Ethernet on RPi 3+ is broken anyway.
I don't know which other SBCs you use as backup NAS, but most of them should outperform an RPi easily when it comes to NAS (at least those with proper GbE). If the RPi is anyways there, and you care about proper powering for disks and Pi itself.. use it.. if you've to buy a new one... I would not opt for an RPi as NAS.. but well, that's my opinion..

Return to “General discussion”