Canuck

Re: Suggestions for the forums.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:13 pm

The website is really slow, it takes ~5 seconds to load up a page here on the the west coast which makes it extremely difficult to get any sort of active discussion going. Switch to content distributed solution? The site is going to get a massive increase in users by the time its up for sale, the sections given for the forum are really vague and need more, including subforums to thrive.

Just some friendly advice, don't cut my cut head off for providing constructive criticism.

mobeyduck

Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:14 pm

well the old layout was slower

Canuck

Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:26 pm

Why are they in love with this wordpress based forum. It sucks, PhpBB is alot better, and if they're willing to pay.. VBulletin is the base of most popular forums.

mobeyduck

Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:31 pm

Any idea how long and how much work migrating the forum will take?

Even if the database is fully compatible with PHPBB it will take long, and during that time the forum wont be available or posts will be lost.

i bet wordpress is relatively easy and fast to set-up

Canuck

Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:37 pm

The databases are compatible. It does not take much effort if you know what you're doing and its for the best.

The argument "oh its going to be down for some hours" is null as they're taking it down on the 18th anyways in protest of SOPA.

Crippen69

Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:40 pm

Not sure if I'm the only one, but every couple of days I get persistant HTTP 500 Internal Server errors. This happens when moving from the home page to forum, then when selecting different forum threads. Not mentioned it previously, as it usually passes after an hour or two, so just come back later in the day. Usually happens 2-3 days each week. Clicking the back button give some database error, will make a note next time it happens.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:56 pm

Crippen69 said:

Not sure if I"m the only one, but every couple of days I get persistant HTTP 500 Internal Server errors. This happens when moving from the home page to forum, then when selecting different forum threads. Not mentioned it previously, as it usually passes after an hour or two, so just come back later in the day. Usually happens 2-3 days each week. Clicking the back button give some database error, will make a note next time it happens.

It's just the load on the server. Getting busy!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

tufty

Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:02 pm

Never mind server load and wordpress suckage, what would really help would be requiring moderation for new threads...

Simon

Canuck

Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:03 pm

JamesH said:

Crippen69 said:

Not sure if I"m the only one, but every couple of days I get persistant HTTP 500 Internal Server errors. This happens when moving from the home page to forum, then when selecting different forum threads. Not mentioned it previously, as it usually passes after an hour or two, so just come back later in the day. Usually happens 2-3 days each week. Clicking the back button give some database error, will make a note next time it happens.

It's just the load on the server. Getting busy!

I think it would benefit the team greatly if they switched to CDN.

Return to “General discussion”