Bengaul

Re: Order placed, Very Excited!

Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:52 pm

Yeah, he's on the make. Get your money back and order from the R-Pi site!

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:52 pm

He's not that far from where a couple of friends live. maybe i'll ask them to go have a quiet word in his shell likes. They are big strapping rugby players

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:04 pm

It has seemed to disappear but an AC on slashdot posted that they were Andrew Lamb and that as it was open source he was going to build them himself -- lol good luck with that mate

I don't think he would be allowed to use the logo or call them raspberry pi's either but jacklang would be able to confirm that

hippy

Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:09 pm

plrw said:

Unless the manufacturer decided they wanted to sell it to others as well it"s probably a rip-off.

Given the foundation seemingly has no prohibition on reselling R-Pi ( see FAQ and forum discussions ) I don't see that as reasonable grounds to label it a rip-off.

There may be other grounds to consider this particular case as rip-off but not simply because anyone is, or intend to act as, a reseller.

psergiu

Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:19 pm

Here's the link with the AC pretending to be the owner of that site: http://hardware.slashdot.org/c.....d=38723736

Typical slashdot troll

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:24 pm

psergiu said:

Here's the link with the AC pretending to be the owner of that site: http://hardware.slashdot.org/c.....d=38723736

Typical slashdot troll

Yeah but aren't /. trolls fun to squish?

Damn he's AC and for the first time in weeks I don't have mod points when a raspberry pi story hit. knew the run had to end eventually

piglet

Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:24 pm

LOL I (almost) feel sorry for the poor kid!

grumpyoldgit

Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:34 pm

I'm going to be very unhip here and ask what AC stands for?

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:41 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:

I'm going to be very unhip here and ask what AC stands for?

Anonymous Coward

grumpyoldgit

Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:44 pm

Phew!

I thought it might be something gynaecological.

TrevorF

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:03 pm

A "whois" returns his address ... hmmm ... if he is not trading with integrity he is not doing that well at covering his identity.

acp

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:12 pm

TrevorF said:

A "whois" returns his address ... hmmm ... if he is not trading with integrity he is not doing that well at covering his identity.

Or you could read it at the bottom of every page on his website

walney

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:13 pm

MattHawkinsUK said:

5) He is profiting on a charity selling devices. He is doing nothing than attempting to make £4 for doing nothing other than adding delay and bureaucracy.

Not really from what his page says - £22 + 20% VAT = £26.20... but I pretty much agree with the rest of your analysis.

Maybe he's just an optimist

Seb

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:38 pm

Looks like I started quite a thread lol

n3tw0rk5

Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:16 pm

Seb said:

Looks like I started quite a thread lol

Indeed you have, i'm surprised it's taken this long for a site offering raspi clones to pop up.

grumpyoldgit

Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:20 pm

The point was that he was offering Pis, not clones.

toxibunny

Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:29 pm

3. - "Months and months"? Nah. Jamesh has said turnaround time after the first batch is a few weeks or so. Middle of Feb is maybe a bit optimistic, but not *way* off...

4. The software is ready, power supply circuitry is basically done, and the plugs, soldering irons, etc. are already in hand. Conversion from the raspi bare board to a fittable unit should take a couple days, probably.

5. Profit? Yeah, enough profit to make enough cash for a couple of beers, maybe. In return for refreshing the .com page 20 times per day, ordering, printing out a nice little manual, and including a few extra bits and bobs on the SD card. Customers are paying atiny little bit extra for no hassle and peace of mind. No preorders on the official site? No problem - order at a reseller"s site and just wait. Hassle-free

Also: shopping up a guy just trying to make a few measly quito the income tax or whatever? Not cool...
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

toxibunny

Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:29 pm

...it"s not like the logo is going to be sanded off or anything...

grumpyoldgit

Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:35 pm

In the ticket world it's called scalping or touting.

n3tw0rk5

Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:41 pm

Yeah he's probably reselling RasPi's and then once they are more widely available customising them for his other fruity offshoots.

He could end up losing out in paypal fee's by the looks of it, good way to get traffic to your site though, given all the current RasPI hype.

toxibunny

Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:42 pm

Scalping normally involves a hefty mark-up, no? Plus, I hope the previous poster was just joking about his rugby mates - for reasons I hope I don"t have to explain...

Helpme1986

Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:43 pm

Kinda clever in the way that the number hits his website is getting has probably gone through the roof! (not that im supporting what he is doing of course nor would I ever buy from a site like that)

Yes he may get a lot of neg feedback but I doubt many customers will see that before placing a order with him for R-Pi's (just like the OP) and maybe other stuff while they are at it.

MattHawkinsUK

Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:43 pm

"Months and Months" because with a limit of 1 per customer and high demand that is how long it will take to fulfill his orders. He's going to get more than a few by 15th Feb? I doubt it. He is in no better position to order 1+ than I am.

"shopping up a guy just trying to make a few measly quito the income tax or whatever? Not cool…"

Normally I would agree. But he is offering a product that he is unlikely to deliver on time. That isn't cool. He is accepting orders against a date he will fail to meet. He is misleading people.

Nothing worse than a seller who takes your money for a product they know they will be unable to deliver on time.

He isn't mentioning a user manual or any extras for that extra money.

Reselling is fine, once the supply chain is operating. In the future it may help get the device out there to a wider audience. Now? Just plain silly.
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)

toxibunny

Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:10 pm

I definitely agree that he"s being far too optimistic about sales dates - but I think he"s being overoptimistic about the arrival of the unfettered batch 2, rather than pretending to preorder the first batch (unless he"s got the whole block in on it).

I stand by my statement that shopping him up to the authority isn"t cool. Especially if the people he"s selling to are WoW-installers like OP. Pitchforks and rugby mates away, lads - what we"ve got here is just a CMOT Dibbler, *not* baron Frankenstein ...

n3tw0rk5

Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:18 pm

I'm sure he will take on board what has been said in this thread, nothing dodgy about selling them on (some may disagree but legally there's none, plenty will end up on fleabay like it or not)  but you need to be realisitic about supply dates and if you are taking pennies first then thats a tad naughty.

Return to “General discussion”