Seb

Re: Order placed, Very Excited!

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:12 am

Hi There Guys,

I've ordered myself a Model B from Systems of Hull: http://www.systemsofhull.co.uk.....p-261.html

I wonder what the chances are of me getting World of Warcraft running on it?!?!   I will of course need an enormous SD card... o_0

vman81

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:22 am

I thought they were only going to be available at raspberrypi.com ?

And no preorders etc?

Edit:

You will not be able to run Wow on it. Wow only runs on x86

piglet

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:23 am

Hmmm.

I don't think this is likely to be legit.  Thread reported to moderators.

http://awesomescreenshot.com/081s5ox91

alecthegeek

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:26 am

I think you've been ripped off.

RasPi will only be on sale from the foundation website. These guys are just passing on a markup
--
Alec Clews <alec.clews@gmail.com>
http://about.me/alecthegeek

Seb

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:27 am

oooh, I didn't realise that!  I'll cancel my order post-haste!

Thanks guys!

mightygoose

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:34 am

Andrew Lamb, trading as Systems Of Hull
36 Owbridge Court, Kingston Upon Hull, East Yorkshire, HU1 2RJ
Telephone: 07654 879330 | Email: andy@systemsofhull.co.uk

i just tried calling him and his number is disconnected.... send up the klaxons folks....

Tetsuo

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:47 am

Did this joker REALLY think he'd be able to buy these in quantity and resell them ? LOL

grumpyoldgit

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:49 am

I would also point out that the telephone number is for a mobile and that Google Maps indicates that the address is a residential block of flats.

Tetsuo

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:50 am

So he's your standard internet computer hardware store then ?

pjt

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:51 am

You beat me to that, address is a block of flats. But he does have his photo posted on http://uk.linkedin.com/in/andylambey

and no doubt is also reading this thread.

Since he won't get any stock until all  individual orders have been placed you may be in for a long wait.

grumpyoldgit

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:53 am

He will also need to add a slice of profit in there somewhere as he will have to purchase the Pi from this site.

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:56 am

Oh my god.  Really? *sigh*

RaTTuS

Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:06 am

where on earth did you find the link in the first place ?
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

mateli

Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:09 am

Unless he buy the components and manufacture it himself.

I am quite sure that we will see rasppi clones once the CPU hits the market, if it hasn't hit the market yet. I would not be surprised if at least one of the 10 rasppi:s was sold to someone that wants it for this purpose.

Grumpyoldgit said:

He will also need to add a slice of profit in there somewhere as he will have to purchase the Pi from this site.

Davespice said:

grumpyoldgit

Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:17 am

Interestingly, if you enter Raspberry Pi into Google and press the shopping button, it comes up on the first page. There are also a load of t-shirts with the same name but it looks to be a coincidence as you can also buy Blueberry and other fruit based Pi t-shirts.

alecthegeek

Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:19 am

He won't be able to create his own clones.

1) It will be hard to resource components. Broadcomm did a special deal for the Foundation

2) It requires experience in electronics manufacturing. The foundation has some very clever and experienced people -- look how long it's taken them
--
Alec Clews <alec.clews@gmail.com>
http://about.me/alecthegeek

roelfrenkema

Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:21 am

mateli said:

I am quite sure that we will see rasppi clones once the CPU hits the market, if it hasn't hit the market yet. I would not be surprised if at least one of the 10 rasppi:s was sold to someone that wants it for this purpose.

Well as Liz has stated the chance of getting into a deal with broadcom as RaspberryPi did is very very slim indeed and having the money to enter a deal with higher amounts of CPU's doesn't put you in residential flats I think. But without a doubt we will find a clone on AliBaba soon or I will be very disappointed

grumpyoldgit

Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:24 am

mateli said:

Grumpyoldgit said:

Davespice said:

Seems very unlikely. You will only get cheap clones when the original item is much sought after and very overpriced. I have a clone of an Ipod shuffle that works perfectly and I picked up for about £8. The real thing costs £40, hence the incentive. The Pi is a low value item that is being sold by a charity where the intention is to sell it as cheaply as possible

roelfrenkema

Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:26 am

Took the liberty to PLUS that page with a warning!

roelfrenkema

Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:29 am

And how about http://www.systemsofhull.co.uk/

Blueberry Pi In-Car Entertainment System
14/03/2012

Strawberry Pi HTPC
29/02/2012

Raspberry Pi Model A
22/02/2012

Raspberry Pi Model B
15/02/2012

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:32 am

mateli said:

Grumpyoldgit said:

The foundation has negotiated very good prices for the components. It is unlikely a small company could do the same. It is also highly unlikely anyone could reverse engineer a beta board. It has a BGA chip on it, and I imagine it is multiple layer. Even if he managed that, there is zero time for testing in that time-scale.

This guy is assuming he can buy to order from the middle of February. He almost certainly wont be able to because the foundation will only send one to each address. So if you order from him, you'll probably have to wait for the second batch. Assuming that the foundation starts the next batch as soon as the money is in the bank, the next batch will be available around the end of February. And it will also be for about 10K units. (Judging from the info Liz gave in her blog post, the profit on each board is around $5-7, so the second batch could be 15K, but there is infrastructure that needs to be to built for customer support etc.) So he might have to wait until the end of March before he can get a batch order in.

Paul7k

Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:40 am

like everything else it looks like someone is trying to take advantage,

A) Model B will only be £22

B) Once it becomes available there will be a notice on the main page

C) They are NOT taking any Pre-orders which is what that is saying it is.

so sorry to say this but it looks like someone has took your cash, i would try to get a refund or contact your bank, orless admin/offical Ras Pi can say anything different

hippy

Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:15 pm

I frequently see articles I recognise from 'pound shops' sold with massive mark-ups at car boot sales, on eBay and even in other shops, and I suppose if people are prepared to pay then fair enough.

It can be worth paying a mark-up when buying other things if it gets the shipping costs down or for the convenience of 'one stop shopping' or getting a single delivery. Mark-up may also cover exemplary customer support, help and assistance, or may facilitate payment means or something other sellers don't offer.

For that reason I expect we will see more resellers springing up with prices higher than the official store and I wouldn't automatically label it 'rip-off'.

Where this particular reseller rings alarm bells is in the "will be in stock" claim which looks unrealistic and unlikely. Whether that's deliberate 'false advertising' or genuine mistake I wouldn't like to say.

plrw

Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:41 pm

Unless the manufacturer decided they wanted to sell it to others as well it's probably a rip-off.

No word from the foundation though on these probably fake offers.

MattHawkinsUK

Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:33 pm

I would avoid "systemsofhull.co.uk" like the plague.

1) He claims to be VAT registered but doesn't seem to want to state his VAT number. That is a bit strange. I think I will ring up HMRC and check he is registered. I hope he is otherwise he is committing tax fraud.

2) In his terms and conditions he states "All items are covered by a manufacturers 12 month warranty. If an item develops a fault it is best to request an RMA directly with the manufacturer." WRONG!. UK consumer law makes it crystal clear the seller is responsible for goods sold not the manufacturer. It is the sellers duty to mess about with the manufacturer.

3) He is advertising a product he can not honestly expect to have in stock. I suspect he will take people's money and simply tread water until he can get his hands on enough units to send out to people. This could take months and months.

4) He is selling products based on the PI that don't exist yet. I suspect he will simply grab the first "in-car entertainment" project that comes along and sell that. Nice.

5) He is profiting on a charity selling devices. He is doing nothing than attempting to make £4 for doing nothing other than adding delay and bureaucracy.

He probably thinks he is in a "win-win" situation. If he can't get the units he will just refund the money. No loss to him. Unfortunately he hasn't counted on the reputational damage he is about to suffer ...
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)

Return to “General discussion”