Kujal05

I accidentally unplugged my power adapter while it was installing the latest updates

Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:41 am

I need a bit of help...
Yesterday I got a new raspberry pi b3+ and it worked fine
I accidentally unplugged my power adapter while it was installing the latest updates
Now it doesn’t work and I cannot use my keyboard/mouse
The boot up says something about kernel modules.....
Please help

klricks

Re: I accidentally unplugged my power adapter while it was installing the latest updates

Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:48 pm

Fixing the original image may be very difficult or impossible.
Much easier to start from scratch and redo the SD card.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

rpdom

Re: I accidentally unplugged my power adapter while it was installing the latest updates

Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:08 pm

That is a situation it is difficult to get out of. The Kernel Modules (drivers) must exactly match the version number of the Kernel that is running the system. By interrupting the upgrade part way through you have ended up with a Kernel and Modules that don't match. Assuming you haven't done much on that Pi yet, it really would be easiest to download the latest Raspbian Stretch image and write that to the card using Etcher. Then you can start again (also, as a new image has only just been released, you shouldn't need to do any updates as they will already be on there.

If you do have something vitally important on your card and want to keep it, it is possible, but not that easy, to either recover the card, or to get the contents off. Both options would either require a Linux system with Card Reader, or another SD card with Raspbian on and a USB Card Reader for the Pi.

LTolledo

Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:10 pm

Repeat the whole installation process again... from the start (except the pulling of the power adapter...) :D
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Roken

Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:37 pm

You could plug the sdcard into a PC, chroot into the SDCard and perform a:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --configure -a
followed by

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sude apt-get upgrade
Once finished, it may rescue without re-installing.
Headless PI. OMG, someone cut it's head off. Oh, hang on. it didn't have one to start with.

Greg Erskine

Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:07 pm

Note "sude" is a typo
* Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation

Return to “General discussion”