JamesPi123

Is this a real raspberry pi?

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:52 pm

Hi

I saw this on the 9to5mac website about a raspberry pi airplay speaker. I saw an image of a device which looks similar to a Raspberry Pi. I want know if this is a real pi?

Image linked.
https://9to5toys.com/wp-content/uploads ... e=1024,512

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: Is this a real raspberry pi?

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:58 pm

Looks like Kano are getting custom pis made?

https://www.element14.com/community/doc ... on-service

W. H. Heydt

Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:56 pm

How are you defining"real"? It lacks the RPF logo and labeling. The LAN chip is all wrong. There is no Ethernet jack. The DSI and CSI connectors are missing, but it is a Braodcom SoC, the board size looks right, as--in general--does much of what is there.

In short, it's not an RPF design (though it clearly draws on one). I suspect that Raspbian would run on it, but I wouldn't want to take bets on how usable the USB ports are.

drgeoff

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:05 pm

I agree with ShiftPlusOne that these are customised RPis. There is no ethernet socket so the LAN/USB chip of a RPi has been replaced with a USB only chip. That might need a different driver than those in Raspbian. Other than that I think Raspbian would run fine.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:12 pm

Farnell offer a customisation service for raspberry pi, where those buying large numbers of Pis can have tem customised. it appears that kano have used it to produce a custom cost-reduced Pi 3 model with the DSI and CSI connectors unpopulated and with a basic 4-port USB hub instead of the (relatively expensive) USB hub with Ethernet used on normal Pi models. They are selling this as part of their "computer kit touch".

Drivers shouldn't be an issue, Linux has a generic driver for talking to USB hubs.

hippy

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:37 pm

plugwash wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:12 pm
it appears that kano have used it to produce a custom cost-reduced Pi 3 model ... They are selling this as part of their "computer kit touch".
Out of curiosity; do custom made Pi's also have custom revision codes, or do they have the same codes as the model from which they are descended ?

Also; in licensing the design to be customised, are there any imposed conditions on what can be changed and, more importantly, what cannot ?

A lot of people found out the hard and expensive way that Dell ATX PSU's weren't wired to the common ATX standard. I would be very cautious of plugging a HAT or anything into the Kano's GPIO unless I knew the pinout was 100% compatible with a Pi and they hadn't done something like swap power lines around just to make their kit proprietary.

On their "computer kit touch" page they say "Board: Raspberry Pi 3" -

https://kano.me/store/row/products/comp ... tech-specs

I guess that's open to debate / interpretation.

On the related FAQ page, they do describe it as a "Custom Raspberry Pi 3 board", and they remembered to acknowledge Linux and Lego as registered trademarks ... but not Raspberry Pi :roll:

It appears Kano's customised board has been out in the wild since at least September 2018. It's rather surprising no one seemed to have noticed !

Imperf3kt

Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:37 am

Ooh, I'm highly interested in this custom board, thanks for posting about it.
It's essentially exactly what I did to my Pi3b, just a lot neater.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

JamesPi123

Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:10 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:37 am
Ooh, I'm highly interested in this custom board, thanks for posting about it.
It's essentially exactly what I did to my Pi3b, just a lot neater.
You're welcome. I thought some people would be interested in it.

Ploes

Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:54 am

Hi

I've just found this post after a Google after noticing the fact the Pi I was looking at didn't have an Ethernet port.
I picked up a full Kano touch kit second hand (but look like it's never even been used) for a good price as a way to start with a Pi!

It's actually got the Kano logo on the board were the Rasbery Pi logo normally is.

Should be fun as I've got no interest in the Kano software, but wanted a cheap Linux tablet (and also to take RiscOS for a spin to take me back to my time at school!)

Return to “General discussion”