stevecobb76

raspi 3b+ jukebox for everyone

Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:18 am

jukebox for everyone (including old people and drunk people. (no offence to anyone)). lol
I want to make a party jukebox with simple controls that anyone(including old people) can use like in a bar.
I am too logic and technical minded to do this alone so I need your advice.
I am thinking joystick buttons?? I dont know how I would lay them out either. Im guessing like a atm machine with the button next to the selection on the screen?

the whole idea is that I can set it up at a party and I dont want to teach everyone how to use it. It should be easy and self explanatory. and I want it to add selected song to the que and show list of upcomming songs.(I should probably learn python)
I am going to build it to look like one of the old school jukeboxes but with a 20 inch hdmi screen (behind plexiglass)

what would be the best button and screen i/o layout and software to do this?
thank you in advance
plans include a 25watt preamp and 200 watt home amp and speakers in the case also including cooling
fans and led lighting effects (old school- ish)

echmain

Re: raspi 3b+ jukebox for everyone

Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:02 am

Explain more about the functionality you have in mind.

What would each button do?
What do you want to see on the display?
What would be the source of the music?

stevecobb76

Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:07 pm

echmain wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:02 am
Explain more about the functionality you have in mind.

What would each button do?
What do you want to see on the display?
What would be the source of the music?
thats kind of what I was asking?? how should I do the button layout physically so people will just kinda know what to push without me having to explain it at a party.
maybe a arcade joystick and a select button like the old trs80 joysticks? idk? (yes I am that old)
or show 10 song on the screen at a time and a select button next to the screen that picks the song next to it?
but what physical button layout & software should I go with so anyone will be able to use it?
I am trying to avoid the touch screen because of cost.
source of music can be usb sata 1 tb drive and some 32 gig and 16 gig usb dongles
screen can be a 7" touch screen and or larger hdmi tv

thanks

PhatFil

Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:18 pm

have you considered using a standard numeric number pad which can be sourced for a low cost in a waterproof (drink proof) sticky back membrane format.

Its a familiar interface for jukeboxes, vending machines and phones so combined with clear instructions onscreen should be easy and familiar to young, and old, the party-heads and the sober alike..

SteveSpencer

Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:47 pm

Familiar, yes, but a right pain, since you have to scan columns and rows.

I'd be inclined to use an arduino (or generic ATMega-whatever) to do the scanning, and have it send data out to the Pi on the serial port.
Obviously, that's further complicated by using a level convertor if you run the arduino at 5V rather than 3v3....

On second thoughts, I'm probably over-complicating it... :)
Steve S
No, I can't think of anything funny that won't offend someone if they want it to...

Paul Webster

Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:24 pm

You might find some inspiration from Fruitbox
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... x#p1188358

Return to “General discussion”