Pgombar

Communication with multiple arduinos

Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:22 pm

Hello all,
I am new to all this. I am working on a project and want to send data collected from a Serial port into an arduino and then send that data wirelessly to a Rasberry 3 B+ and populate a data table.
My question is when multiple arduino’s are sending how will it identify which board it came from?
Is this done by sending the data with a unique iD or is there a better way?
Which way is best efficient and scalable to handle this?

Thanks in advance!

chwe

Re: Communication with multiple arduinos

Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:34 pm

Must it be a Arduino? Do you know ESP8266/ESP32 boards? there you could just send it over W-lan. How do you send your data wireless to the Pi (not decided yet, or not mentioned). Are your Arduinos planned to run on battery?

davidcoton

Re: Communication with multiple arduinos

Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:31 pm

Pgombar wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:22 pm
My question is when multiple arduino’s are sending how will it identify which board it came from?
Is this done by sending the data with a unique iD or is there a better way?
Which way is best efficient and scalable to handle this?
Isn't that what the top level design of your system is all about? Is there an identity attached to the data source? Is it machine readable? Does it make sense to use it?
Give each Arduino a name? Or a number? How are you going to use the origin information at the Pi? How will it appear in the data table?
How will the data be used or displayed? Is the origin relevant? if so, what form will it take?

Once you have shaped your system and the information flows within it, you can design the messages (and database) that implement that flow, and select a messaging system to carry the messages (MQTT? Socket comms?)
Signature retired

Return to “General discussion”