Beorn_Bear

VNC Viewer Display Screen and Minecraft

Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:37 pm

I am currently using VNC viewer to access my raspberry pi 3 B+. However, the VNC Viewer does not display on the full screen of the monitor and the resolution looks low. Does anyone know how to resolve this?

When I run Minecraft, it appears blank through the VNC Viewer. Any suggestions are welcome.

fruitoftheloom

Re: VNC Viewer Display Screen and Minecraft

Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:49 pm

Beorn_Bear wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:37 pm
I am currently using VNC viewer to access my raspberry pi 3 B+. However, the VNC Viewer does not display on the full screen of the monitor and the resolution looks low. Does anyone know how to resolve this?

When I run Minecraft, it appears blank through the VNC Viewer. Any suggestions are welcome.

Direct Capture Mode

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... ccess/vnc/
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Stretch.

HawaiianPi

Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:51 pm

You can set the desired resolution in the raspi-config utility. If you want to run the VNC session in a window, set the rez a little lover than your monitor. If you want it full screen, set the correct resolution for your screen.

In RealVNC Viewer there are scaling and full-screen controls.

In this example picture, scaling is highlighted in red, and full-screen is left of that.
VNCcontrols.jpg
VNCcontrols.jpg (5.21 KiB) Viewed 409 times

Be aware that gaming over a remote desktop connection doesn't work well due to lag.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Beorn_Bear

Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:12 am

The mouse and video is slow on my Raspberry Pi 3 B+ while accessing it with VNC Viewer. The mouse lags. Does anyone has suggestions on how to improve it?! Would it be necessary to plug in an ethernet cable into the Raspberry Pi rather than using Wifi??!

DarkPlatinum

Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:39 am

Beorn_Bear wrote:
The mouse and video is slow on my Raspberry Pi 3 B+ while accessing it with VNC Viewer. The mouse lags. Does anyone has suggestions on how to improve it?! Would it be necessary to plug in an ethernet cable into the Raspberry Pi rather than using Wifi??!
I don't think you will be able to play games over VNC. VNC is basically multiple images being taken and set across the network.
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Check Out My Raspberry Site (Run on a Raspberry Pi 3B :) ): Https://Html.dynu.net

HawaiianPi

Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:56 am

Beorn_Bear wrote:
That's why I said the following in my previous post...
HawaiianPi wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:51 pm
Be aware that gaming over a remote desktop connection doesn't work well due to lag.
Remote desktop connections are not recommended for gaming, for that very reason. There will always be lag. The Pi is simply not powerful enough to stream games over a remote connection. At least not games that require real-time feedback (turn based games might be okay).

Beorn_Bear

Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:43 am

I am not using the Raspberry Pi 3 B+ for games. I am currently using it as a media server, file backup server and Alexa. When I access it via the VNC Viewer, it is rather slow via wifi. Would an ethernet connection provide a better solution? Is there another work around?

LTolledo

Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:00 am

Can you enlighten us on how you are using VNC in your setup.

What VNC server are you using?
What VNC viewer are you using?
What task are you trying to accomplish while viewing in VNC mode?
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

HawaiianPi

Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:49 am

Beorn_Bear wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:43 am
I am currently using it as a media server, file backup server and Alexa.
What's your typical CPU utilization with all that running in the background? My guess is you're running low on RAM and swapping, or just getting lag due to an overworked CPU.

Would an ethernet connection provide a better solution? Is there another work around?
WiFi does have more system overhead than Ethernet, but Ethernet is shared with the USB ports, so ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ... (heavy access to anything on USB could impact Ethernet performance). If you're doing a lot of reading or writing to USB storage then WiFi may be best, but there are so many things that affect WiFi it's hard to predict. Try it both ways and see which works best for you.

Return to “General discussion”