Nick518

Using Raspberry PI 3 for remote desktop sessions?

Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:25 am

Hello,

Im looking for a cheaper alternative to Intel NUCs. I thought maybe Raspberry PI could be a potential alternative.

Heres what I need it to do: All of our computers currently use remote desktop to connect to a service like AWS. Basically looking for an OS that I can install that can use remote desktop in the same way. I know theres a version of windows 10 that can be installed called Windows 10 WoA, but im not sure if remote desktop is on it or not. Does anyone know if RD is on Win 10 WoA, or is there possibly another alternative with a linux based OS?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Using Raspberry PI 3 for remote desktop sessions?

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:42 am

Nick518 wrote:
Hello,

Im looking for a cheaper alternative to Intel NUCs. I thought maybe Raspberry PI could be a potential alternative.

Heres what I need it to do: All of our computers currently use remote desktop to connect to a service like AWS. Basically looking for an OS that I can install that can use remote desktop in the same way. I know theres a version of windows 10 that can be installed called Windows 10 WoA, but im not sure if remote desktop is on it or not. Does anyone know if RD is on Win 10 WoA, or is there possibly another alternative with a linux based OS?

It is Windows 10 Internet of Things, not anything like a Desktop Windows 10.

Linux have several RDP Clients available so you can just run the recommended and supported Debian Stretch operating system.
Retired disgracefully.....

geev03

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:38 pm

Does anyone know if RD is on Win 10 WoA,
Yes, RDP can be used to access a remote WoA10 on Raspberry Pi.
Attachments
rasp3.jpg
rasp3.jpg (112.72 KiB) Viewed 736 times

Andyroo

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:03 pm

I would not use WoA as it’s very slow on the Pi and really only licensed for the Insiders testers in Windows and not for commercial use.

If you are using VNC on the servers you can use the RealVNC viewer on the Pi.
Failing that, try rdesktop Remmina or NoMachine

Advantage of the latter is that you can get it for many operating systems.

andrum99

Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:44 pm

Andyroo wrote:
I would not use WoA as it’s very slow on the Pi and really only licensed for the Insiders testers in Windows and not for commercial use.

Officially there is no WoA (Windows on ARM) on the Raspberry Pi, so if you do use it you are on your own. Your best bet is to simply load the recommended OS - Raspbian - onto the Pi and use one of the many free RDP clients.

Andyroo

Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:18 pm

andrum99 wrote:
Andyroo wrote:

Officially there is no WoA (Windows on ARM) on the Raspberry Pi, so if you do use it you are on your own. Your best bet is to simply load the recommended OS - Raspbian - onto the Pi and use one of the many free RDP clients.
The links I put are to free Linux RDP clients :?:
WoA is insider track - it’s official from MS on this track only. I guess there will be no formal release as they push IOT for the Pi.

andrum99

Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:12 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:18 pm
andrum99 wrote:
Andyroo wrote:

The links I put are to free Linux RDP clients :?:
WoA is insider track - it’s official from MS on this track only. I guess there will be no formal release as they push IOT for the Pi.
URL or it didn't happen - my googling has found no such official build of Windows on ARM for the Raspberry Pi.

Andyroo

Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:59 pm

Rather than start this up again please reference viewtopic.php?p=1430725#p1431003 - to follow the link you have to be enrolled on the Insider program and signed in.

Please start a new thread if you want to discuss this and not derail the OPs request.

I’ll ask the mods to split this off.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:31 pm

No idea what to split off....

trying to run windows desktop on a RPI is a no go.... AFAIK only amateur hacks are available of windows for ARM, that work very badly.
use raspbian for remote desktop sessions, and anything else.

Andyroo

Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:45 pm

mahjongg wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:31 pm
No idea what to split off....

trying to run windows desktop on a RPI is a no go.... AFAIK only amateur hacks are available of windows for ARM, that work very badly.
use raspbian for remote desktop sessions, and anything else.
Andrum99 post timed 7:44 onward as that’s when we drifted from RDP to WoA

rpdom

Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:59 am

The OP mentioned WoA, so I see no need to split anything.
Nick518 wrote:
Does anyone know if RD is on Win 10 WoA, or is there possibly another alternative with a linux based OS?

andrum99

Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:50 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:59 pm
Rather than start this up again please reference viewtopic.php?p=1430725#p1431003 - to follow the link you have to be enrolled on the Insider program and signed in.
That page is entitled "Windows 10 IoT". Unless this page also allows access to Windows on ARM (which is the desktop version of Windows 10 for ARM systems) - then this is not the page we are looking for. Windows 10 IoT does not have a GUI, and is not the operating system for which there is a screenshot in the above thread. That would appear to be from Windows 10 ARM.

I believe that the current Windows on ARM builds are not meant to work at all on Raspberry Pi, but have been made to work by some people. Unless someone can point me to an official Microsoft page that says otherwise, I believe any claim that there is an official Raspberry Pi build of Windows on ARM (i.e. the desktop version of Windows 10) is entirely bogus.

andrum99

Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:51 pm

rpdom wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:59 am
The OP mentioned WoA, so I see no need to split anything.
Nick518 wrote:
Does anyone know if RD is on Win 10 WoA, or is there possibly another alternative with a linux based OS?
Agreed. To answer the OPs question about Windows on ARM - this only runs properly on certain specific devices powered by certain ARM processors. The fact that some people have got it to run, after a fashion, on Raspberry Pi is incidental. Windows 10 ARM (which is the desktop OS with the familiar Windows GUI) does not work properly on Raspberry Pi, and will not until Microsoft officially support it as a platform.

Having said that, Windows 10 IoT is supported by Microsoft on Raspberry Pi. Windows 10 IoT is not the same as Windows 10 ARM, since it contains none of the familiar Windows 10 GUI. It is designed to assist in development of IoT devices. The devices which Windows 10 IoT supports use ARM processors.

Return to “General discussion”