kaksi

Re: Using RPI with camera below 0 Celsius?

Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:32 pm

I left the PIs at room temperature for a long time and then make them take a bath in isopropylalcohol. The RPI3 is OK again, the RPI2 not. It will take some time till I will risk a RPI3 outside.

Any idea what I could do with the RPI2 before scraping it? The only way I know to repair electronics is a bath in isopropylalcohol (surprisingly good results, about 10%). I heard about cleaning it with baking soda and about putting it for some time into a hot oven. And then I read the best idea is to ask the manufacturer.

rpdom

Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:58 am

Leave it in a bowl of uncooked rice for a day or two. That can get rid of any moisture.

chwe

Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:33 pm

rpdom wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:58 am
Leave it in a bowl of uncooked rice for a day or two. That can get rid of any moisture.
which is a myth.. and IMO more harming than helping.. Yes moisture will be soaked up by 'dry rice', salts will stay there and soldered tin doesn't like electrolytes (even in 'mostly dry' form). Wash it with deionized water, followed by isopropanol and hope it's coming back.. If schematics would be available you could easily check for shorts on the main powerrails, unfortunately they are super secret here. You've to follow traces..

Reflow with oven/heatgun can work (especially when balls under a BGA chip, like the SoC are oxidized). But out of 3 times I tried to reflow a chip one came back.. The first one ended in a BBQ, the third one got probably a next short from my attempt to fix it.. But even if it works I wouldn't use it for something which matters cause chances are high that it isn't 'as stable' as it was before..

Return to “General discussion”