jonnyb

Accessing a Pi remotely

Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:07 am

I've just got a Pi so new to this.

My Pi is connected to my TV. It has openELEC and Kodi on it. I was wondering if, when the Pi is on, but not connected to the TV, if it's possible to instruct films to download to the Pi using an app and then watch them from the Pi ... via an app?

I've found remotes that access the Pi when it's connected to the TV but as soon as the TV is on a different HDMI port .... they can't find it. And the ones I've seen don't enable viewing the films on the smart device.

I'm using current a IOS device for apps.

Sorry for the question but learning every day.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Accessing a Pi remotely

Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:55 am

jonnyb wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:07 am
I've just got a Pi so new to this.

My Pi is connected to my TV. It has openELEC and Kodi on it. I was wondering if, when the Pi is on, but not connected to the TV, if it's possible to instruct films to download to the Pi using an app and then watch them from the Pi ... via an app?

I've found remotes that access the Pi when it's connected to the TV but as soon as the TV is on a different HDMI port .... they can't find it. And the ones I've seen don't enable viewing the films on the smart device.

I'm using current a IOS device for apps.

Sorry for the question but learning every day.

https://kodi.wiki/view/Official_Kodi_Remote/iOS

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/unoffic ... ?ls=1&mt=8
Retired disgracefully.....

jonnyb

Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:55 pm

Tried this already...

So ... you can't view downloads via WIFI from Pi to a smart device ... in the way a media player/NAS would work.

tpylkko

Re: Accessing a Pi remotelyq

Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:36 am

There are many ways this can be done...in case I understand your question. Once downloaded you can have kodi show the folder as a network attached device using for example samba or nfs. You could also use dlna or upnp or a web interface to kodi that allows the client to view the content. There are probably other methods that I did not think of right now

jonnyb

Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:46 am

Yes .. I see.

I've tried accessing the Pi from a media player app and it found it stright away .... So great..

Thanks

Return to “General discussion”