TheEponymousBob

Re: Offer a "made in UK/EU/West" batch?

Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:52 am

toxibunny said:

*edit*

…so, disregarding the trolls, is cooking *BEEF* in *CHERRY COLA* really a tasty thing to do? tastier than just roasting it normally?

I"ve not (yet) tried either, but I"d just mention that the cola discussed above was with ham, not beef.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:05 am

Toxibunny: totally depends on your beef. If you've got a stewing joint, then yes. If you've got a beautiful chunk of rib, it'd be a total crime to poach it in coke.

This all started as a result of people reading my ham in coke recipe. I hate to blow my own trumpet, but I do recommend it.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

TheEponymousBob

Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:19 am

liz said

This all started as a result of people reading my ham in coke recipe. I hate to blow my own trumpet, but I do recommend it.

Blow away; it"s now on my list to try, but not before the beef in ginger beer, which I"ll be doing tonight. That said, would you recommend a soft beer, or something like Crabbies for that?

BTW, as a Pink Floyd fan, I love the name of your blog

Edit: hmmm... further research (well, googling) suggests that beef in ginger beer is generally done with corned beef, and that some use "silverside" to mean corned—I"ve always known it just as a cut rather than synonymous with corned. Does the recipe work with unprepared beef?

liz

Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:07 am

Glad you didn't start before sorting that out! It's only in England that corned beef is a thing that comes in a trapezoidal tin you need a bayonet to open. In the USA, it just means salt beef (the salt grains being the "corns").

If you can find a chunk of American salt beef, then use that; otherwise, a silverside will be just dandy. I used a cheap ginger beer and grated some in fresh too. The cooking liquid could be made into a table sauce with a roux and a lot of imagination, but it is very sweet. A dense soy-type sauce is a good combination - if you can find Indonesian Kejap Manis, you're golden.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

TheEponymousBob

Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:19 am

Lol—I knew it wasn"t the tinned stuff of school dinner nightmares; I was just wondering whether it would work with an uncured joint rather than one that had been corned! But the notion of slow cooking a lump of the tinned stuff made me giggle

russ wall

Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:00 am

... now becomes my favourite thread on the forum. Informative, humourous and pleasant (for now ... maybe after sunday dinner things might change!).

scep

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:11 am

TheEponymousBob said:

Lol—I knew it wasn"t the tinned stuff of school dinner nightmares; I was just wondering whether it would work with an uncured joint rather than one that had been corned! But the notion of slow cooking a lump of the tinned stuff made me giggle

I'm trying it with an uncured lump of shoulder tonight, will rep0rt back. I must say thought that I am very partial to a bully beef and Branston butty.

jacklang

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:19 am

70C is too hot. Aim for an internal temperature of 58C, so cook at about 60C

Double wrapped  in silver foil in the plate warming oven of a AGA does well, unless you have a sous vide setup.

grumpyoldgit

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:31 am

Sylvain said:

Grumpyoldgit >> Your comments in that topic are really useless. If you are not interested in it, just don't read it !

There are several admin participating, if they would like to close the topic, I don't thing they would need your advices.

So that posters like yourself and RAM can Troll the board unopposed. Interesting that you feel my advice is not called for when you are taking up the valuable time of members of the foundation who have repeated tried to shut you up. I, and others, have discussed this matter with you amicably over a number of days but you continue to press the point. For every answer you come back again and again and again. It seemed to me that a bit of humour and ridicule was called for as reasoning has not been effective.

grumpyoldgit

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:47 am

Just read through the recent threads and realised I've drifted into the St. Delia board. Can I put in a word for slow cooked honey glazed ham? It is a tradition in our family for Christmas eve as it can be a bit of a moveable feast when we actually manage to sit down for our meal. Once cooked it can just sit there improving until it is ready to be eat. Served with hand made chips and pickles.

Steady_Bear

Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:27 pm

Signed up to the forum just to add to this post...
1.) Made in UK, well if the team do manage to release sufficient information for building them at home, then you Sir, may have your board made where ever you fancy...
2.) I understand the teams reluctance to release the board if they can't ensure readily available parts for everyone, but I think the information alone would be wonderful to have even if I can't make one myself

Now on to the important points:
1) Ham cooked in Coke (Slow Coked Ham?) - You sick, sick little puppies.
2) Slow cooked beef in ginger beer - must try this, sounds great.
3) Ginger beer - why buy it from shops?...
Some fresh grated ginger (fine grate) and some dried ginger.
Some sugar (light and/or dark muscovado is best, white cane will do).
A dash of lemon juice (from a bottle is fine, if using fresh then use some zest too).
Water (cold plain drinking water - NOT fizzy/'gassed' water).
Quarter teaspoon of bread yeast (just over 1ml / a decent pinch) - we all love fizzy drinks right? Leave this bit (and the warm room later) out if you want flat ginger beer.

Put all of this in a 2 liter fizzy drinks bottle (must be a fizzy drink one - pressure will build up inside). Shake and leave somewhere warm for UPTO 2 days (check the bottle isn't getter too hard). Place in fridge, drink as and when - don't forget a means to strain it as you serve.
All quantities are 'to taste'. The drink is pretty robust, so is hard to get wrong.
Kids, if you do try this at home - be warned, if the bottle does get left for too long or gets too warm, it will split and spray sugary mess everywhere.

TheEponymousBob

Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:43 pm

jacklang said:

70C is too hot. Aim for an internal temperature of 58C, so cook at about 60C

Double wrapped  in silver foil in the plate warming oven of a AGA does well, unless you have a sous vide setup.

Well I don"t have a sous vide setup, but that"s one of the tasks I intend to put my RPi (+Gertboard) towards! (I realise this is overkill and can be done in other ways, but it"s the journey rather than the destination that matters )

Gimidius

Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:43 am

Interesting debate and glad everyone mostly managed to keep this thread civil and even humorous.

Firstly, I'd like to stress that I can 100% understand the decision to manufacture in Asia for the reasons outlined. That said, I am appalled that duty reasons make local manufacture prohibitive. What a terrible advert for the future of the British economy to see a project with such noble aims undermined like this. Far from a trivial topic I hope this debate can flourish since I think it is a shining example of what needs to change if we Britain and the EU are to survive in the new world economy, both in terms of practicality but mostly importantly mentality. Fingers at the keyboard ready to lobby MPs - anyone with me? We should make sure this is publicised far and wide but ensure no blame implied to this marvellous project whatsoever.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:39 am

Steady_Bear said:

3) Ginger beer - why buy it from shops?...
Some fresh grated ginger (fine grate) and some dried ginger.
Some sugar (light and/or dark muscovado is best, white cane will do).
A dash of lemon juice (from a bottle is fine, if using fresh then use some zest too).
Water (cold plain drinking water - NOT fizzy/'gassed' water).
Quarter teaspoon of bread yeast (just over 1ml / a decent pinch) - we all love fizzy drinks right? Leave this bit (and the warm room later) out if you want flat ginger beer.

Put all of this in a 2 liter fizzy drinks bottle (must be a fizzy drink one - pressure will build up inside). Shake and leave somewhere warm for UPTO 2 days (check the bottle isn't getter too hard). Place in fridge, drink as and when - don't forget a means to strain it as you serve.
All quantities are 'to taste'. The drink is pretty robust, so is hard to get wrong.
Kids, if you do try this at home - be warned, if the bottle does get left for too long or gets too warm, it will split and spray sugary mess everywhere.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh - traditional Ginger Beer!

Don't give it to small children, yeast and sugar lead to alcohol and thus to the naughtier end of the playground song spectrum....

And if you are lucky with your yeast, you'll get a Ginger Beer Plant, which will grow and grow and fill your kitchen with bottles of fermenting ginger beer.  You DO like ginger beer, don't you?

I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

russ wall

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:49 am

Liz's Pork in Coke. I will never cook pork any other way! As for the baked beans, yes the coke taste comes through a bit too much nothing a squeeze of lemon doesn't sort out. Think Cuba Libre!

Lamb in Ribena?

spamel

Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:44 pm

As the topic is now food related, I can share my interest in something I saw in a customers house earlier: chain maille for cooking with! Instead of tin foil, this piece of chain maille is placed around the meat and it is cooked, then you let the meat sit afterwards as normal to relax whilst covered in the chain maille! A scottish idea apparently that was on dragons den. Has anybody else used or heard of this contraption?

Return to “General discussion”