RAM

Re: Offer a "made in UK/EU/West" batch?

Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:51 pm

JamesH said:

SOME potential customers….do you know how many? No? Neither do we. We don't even know how many of the boards we will sell at the quoted price.

I don't know how many would be interested in them.  I know I would be interested in one, and I also believe others would be, too. Hence this discussion. I also suggested a pre-ordering scheme, which would be able to provide a good estimate on the number of potential customers.

And its not worth taking the risk on making boards that are more expensive at this stage if there is even the vaguest chance they won't sell.

This wouldn't necessarily be urgent. At least it wouldn't bother me if I had to wait a bit for it.

The prices of the Ebay boards have no relevance to the price of the release boards-  you should really regards them as completely different products.

I didn't assume they were the same product.  I simply took it as a demonstration of the level of goodwill this project managed to attain.  It isn't unreasonable to assume that if some people are willing to shelve over £1000 a board then others would also gladly spend a bit extra to purchase a board manufactured closer to home.

RAM

Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:56 pm

scep said:

And a brussel sprout once sold on eBay for £1550 in aid of charity. But this was not a good indication of what people were prepared to pay for sprouts in general, and certainly not a good reason to only sell organic sprouts in Tesco for a higher price than advertised in their window.

Your comment would be reasonable if I had suggested that these "made in UK/EU/West" boards should be sold for £1550, or any value close to that.  I didn't.  Spending an extra $5 to $10 on a board doesn't represent the same level of expense. There are people who spend more than that on a coffee.

max1zzz

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:02 pm

RAM said:

scep said:

And a brussel sprout once sold on eBay for £1550 in aid of charity. But this was not a good indication of what people were prepared to pay for sprouts in general, and certainly not a good reason to only sell organic sprouts in Tesco for a higher price than advertised in their window.

Your comment would be reasonable if I had suggested that these "made in UK/EU/West" boards should be sold for £1550, or any value close to that.  I didn't.  Spending an extra $5 to $10 on a board doesn't represent the same level of expense. There are people who spend more than that on a coffee.

Hang on a second, you where just comparing the £1k limited edition betas to the £25 finals, it's the same sort of thing

n3tw0rk5

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:08 pm

The only way UK made boards could happen at this stage is if they were paid for in advance, so the foundation had the money in the bank to pay for them.

Then there is the issue of cost per unit which would rise significantly since numbers wouldn"t be that great mainly due to the fact that the bulk are being made in China for all the right reasons atm.

Then there"s the issue of the timeframe for your order being placed till the raspi arrives at your doorstep, it could be months depending on the manufacturers output.

So for peeps that aren"t happy you can be patient and wait till UK production can be done cheaply (remember the original aim for the Raspi and no it wasn"t a geek toy) and quick enough. Or you could setup you own manufacturing company and offer you services in aid of a very good cause.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:10 pm

It'd be a lot more than an extra £5-10. Small batches are completely uneconomical to make; the 50 alpha boards we made last year cost considerably over a hundred pounds each to manufacture because the batch size was small. Prices per board decrease (pretty magnificently) the more you build.

We don't believe there are the 10k or thereabouts electronics patriots out there your model would require who will only buy a UK-made Raspi, but if the numbers are any smaller than 10k, you're talking about machines which will cost far, far too much for us to deal with. Not to mention the added work for the foundation (and remember that in practice, it's really just Jack, me and Eben working with the factories, and there is a vast amount of paperwork involved); it's not just a case of shaking somebody's hand and saying: "Go forth and make me a computer."

The Union Jack emblazoned, UK-only board for angry lunatics^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hpatriots is a charming idea, but it's not remotely realistic.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Sylvain

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:14 pm

liz said:

I welcome GrumpyOldGit's contributions to this thread; what he has written chimes curiously well with the little voice inside my own head. Sylvain; you have said above that you are used to forums with more incivility than this one. We do not wish this forum to resemble those. Keep it up and you'll be banned.

This should be a cultural barrier or something but I really don't understand your way of seing things : you don't agree with some of us (a few) and find us irritating, OK, but welcoming contributions such as the ones of GrumpyOldGit, that's really sad …

Sylvain.

RAM

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:36 pm

liz said:

It"d be a lot more than an extra £5-10. Small batches are completely uneconomical to make; the 50 alpha boards we made last year cost considerably over a hundred pounds each to manufacture because the batch size was small. Prices per board decrease (pretty magnificently) the more you build.

We don"t believe there are the 10k or thereabouts electronics patriots out there your model would require who will only buy a UK-made Raspi, but if the numbers are any smaller than 10k, you"re talking about machines which will cost far, far too much for us to deal with. Not to mention the added work for the foundation (and remember that in practice, it"s really just Jack, me and Eben working with the factories, and there is a vast amount of paperwork involved); it"s not just a case of shaking somebody"s hand and saying: "Go forth and make me a computer."

The Union Jack emblazoned, UK-only board for angry lunatics^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hpatriots is a charming idea, but it"s not remotely realistic.

liz,

First of all, thanks for taking the time to provide a reasonably informative post.  It took a bit of time, but at least here it is.

Regarding your unfortunate lunatics/patriots comment, you shouldn't let your prejudice get the best of you. I don't believe it is a good idea to go around accusing Raspberry Pi supporters of being lunatics.  It simply isn't a good PR strategy to interact with people interested in it with so much scorn.

In addition, I am not from the UK, nor did I ever set foot on it, or ever intended to do so. Patriotism, or any nationalistic feeling, was never a factor in this suggestion. You should had understood that, and it amazes me how you didn't.

Finally, I'll say only this: if you want to curb the amount of arguments in this forum then you could at least try to tone down the propensity to post passive-agressive and provocative comments.  It doesn't look well for a charity dedicated to an educational project to have its PR done by someone who is unable to have a polite and educated conversation.

Take care.

liz

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:04 pm

RAM said:

Finally, I'll say only this: if you want to curb the amount of arguments in this forum then you could at least try to tone down the propensity to post passive-agressive and provocative comments.  It doesn't look well for a charity dedicated to an educational project to have its PR done by someone who is unable to have a polite and educated conversation.

Take care.

I've had a better idea. I've removed your posting privileges, along with Sylvain's.

My preferred sort of aggression is aggressive-aggression. Take care.

russ wall

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:13 pm

Enough!

This is not helping kids education one jot, which is still the main focus of the pi from my understanding, but becoming a personal attack on a group of people who are trying their very best to change things in schools around the world.

I'm going to try that Ham cooked in coke recipe Liz.

(do you have a recipe for chocolate cake pie?)

Off topic and proud!

TheEponymousBob

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:24 pm

Personally I would advise cutting some slack for a small team of people going through probably the most stressful part of a process into which they"ve selflessly thrown themselves—at great personal risk—and who, despite all this, are on the verge of pulling off their primary objective within the target price, surpassing the expectations of a huge number of naysayers.

Everyone understands that being forced to assemble non-domestically from the get-go is a disappointment—that"s communicated clearly in the blog post and comments—and I understand that those discussing a separate batch of UK-assembled boards are trying to be constructive, but honestly, the timing sucks. Think of it as spending all day tidying and cleaning the house on your own, only to have someone walk in and say "you missed a bit". And as if that"s not enough, you then scold them for being grumpy about it?

The boards are being manufactured, and everyone"s holding their breath to see what will happen when the starter"s gun fires; why not wait until the first lot have shipped, demand is known and a steady flow of devices has been achieved before discussing ways in which you believe it could have been done better?

toxibunny

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:31 pm

I reckon people will get used to the idea pretty soon - all this noise just reminds me of the brouhaha around the time that the 5v-only power-supply change was announced.

My advice: ignore everything for now, then in 3-4 months or whatever, when things have settled down a bit and you have more of an idea about demand/sales/etc, and the press have moved on to the next big thing, *then* announce a uk-made version, with absolutely no difference apart from a "-uk" at the end of the serial number...- a

...what I"m trying to say is, , If it ends up happening at all, time it for best publicity, *not* because of pissy forum posters.
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

scep

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:33 pm

russ wall said:

Try Cherry Coke (3 for a quid in Poundland )  - sounds well dodgy but is really very good :0

liz

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:36 pm

You should try slow-cooking a silverside of beef in ginger beer overnight - hubba hubba.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:45 pm

scep said:

russ wall said:

Try Cherry Coke (3 for a quid in Poundland )  - sounds well dodgy but is really very good :0

Cherry Coke in Poundland?

That figures. 

As for the thread topic, soddit - I just want a Rasp Pi and I don't care where its made!

(It'd be nice, etc, etc, but thats not going to happen at the present so I'm just pleased that something IS going to happen, and pretty soon...)
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Jongoleur

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:46 pm

liz said:

You should try slow-cooking a silverside of beef in ginger beer overnight - hubba hubba.

Any particular ginger beer?

(do you chuck any veg in with it too?   )

scep

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:48 pm

liz said:

Hmmm... I usually corn siverside when I pick it up cheap, but I've got a shoulder in the fridge so I'm going to try this tomorrow... c. 70 degrees C ?

liz

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:50 pm

Should be fine. Last time I did it was in the bottom of the underpowered AGA in a rented cottage (to feed a hen party - long story) which I suspect ran a little cooler even than that.

Jongoleur - shallots (and lots of them), some bay leaves, and about 12 cloves.

TheEponymousBob

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:53 pm

scep said:

liz said:

Hmmm... I usually corn siverside when I pick it up cheap, but I"ve got a shoulder in the fridge so I"m going to try this tomorrow... c. 70 degrees C ?

So long as it"s British beef.

/me ducks and runs...

Jongoleur

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:54 pm

liz said:

Jongoleur - shallots (and lots of them), some bay leaves, and about 12 cloves.

Sounds good - got all that to hand, looks like Sunday dinner is sorted out! 

Jongoleur

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:55 pm

TheEponymousBob said:

So long as it"s British beef.

/me ducks and runs...

And things were going so well......

*sigh*

n3tw0rk5

Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:01 pm

Well i'll be partaking of steak n ale pie made with finest broon ale.

Staying clear of running ducks as they tend to get shot

riffraff

Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:01 pm

I've dressed a ham up in Maraschino cherries and pineapple rings and drenched it in root beer. That's awfully good at Christmas time.

toxibunny

Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:04 am

*edit*

...so, disregarding the trolls, is cooking *BEEF* in *CHERRY COLA* really a tasty thing to do? tastier than just roasting it normally?
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

Jessie

Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:45 am

toxibunny said:

*edit*

...so, disregarding the trolls,

Wait there are trolls in this thread? 

n3tw0rk5

Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:32 am

toxibunny said:

*edit*

...so, disregarding the trolls, is cooking *BEEF* in *CHERRY COLA* really a tasty thing to do? tastier than just roasting it normally?

Havent used cherry cola before, just normal cola, but is does make a really nice marinade.

Although I messed up my first attempt and it tasted more like a pudding

Return to “General discussion”