Pete_Stevens

Re: "Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. The server has high load. Please try again later."

Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:40 pm

We've applied a lot of new hardware, and a bit more cleverness. We were stuck in a position where we could have either working user registration, or high performance. We've now applied a software fix that incurs a small performance penalty but enables user registration and quadrupled the hardware resources behind the site.

We've one further possible hardware upgrade, but it involves giving Intel a very substantial chunk of money for a pair of Gold 6146 chips (list $3286), doubles our power consumption and it only increases performance by at best 33% from where we are now. This is not the value for money option, we'd rather spend the money elsewhere if we can.

Currently it looks like things are working nicely and we're about 12% utilised so we should have enough resouces for the post Christmas spike as all the new people turn on their Pi3s and get confused.

davidcoton

Re: "Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. The server has high load. Please try again later."

Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:14 pm

Pete_Stevens wrote:
We've applied a lot of new hardware, and a bit more cleverness. We were stuck in a position where we could have either working user registration, or high performance. We've now applied a software fix that incurs a small performance penalty but enables user registration and quadrupled the hardware resources behind the site.

We've one further possible hardware upgrade, but it involves giving Intel a very substantial chunk of money for a pair of Gold 6146 chips (list $3286), doubles our power consumption and it only increases performance by at best 33% from where we are now. This is not the value for money option, we'd rather spend the money elsewhere if we can.

Currently it looks like things are working nicely and we're about 12% utilised so we should have enough resouces for the post Christmas spike as all the new people turn on their Pi3s and get confused.
Looks good, go and have a well deserved Happy Christmas while all us Users and the unwanted AbUsers test it out :o :lol:
Signature retired

jahboater

Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:19 pm

Pete_Stevens wrote:
and the Pi4 spike :)

davidcoton

Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:29 pm

jahboater wrote:
Pete_Stevens wrote:
Do you know something we don't?
Signature retired

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:26 pm

davidcoton wrote:
jahboater wrote:
Pete_Stevens wrote:
Well, there will definitely be a Pi4 spike. But why and when? That's a secret. But there will defo. be a spike. A big one.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

jamesh

Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:27 pm

tvjon wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:39 pm
Just as you see in the picture I posted - go to that url.

To save you typing that lot in:

viewtopic.php?t=229642&p=1407621#p1407621

In fact I've just received that same screen.

Reloading a few seconds later & it comes up with the actual post.
Link is working fine for me.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

rpdom

Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:38 pm

jamesh wrote:
Well, there will definitely be a Pi4 spike. But why and when? That's a secret. But there will defo. be a spike. A big one.
Is that because it contains a Unicorn? :lol: (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Burngate

Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:44 pm

Well, I reckon that it'll ship with an earthing spike, that you have to drive into your garden soil.https://www.screwfix.com/p/earth-rod-5- ... able/87633
Just like some guy did at Sky, but not through the mains feed to the site as he did, taking Sky off air for 24 hours.

Greg Erskine

Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:48 pm

Greg Erskine wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:44 pm
FYI: I haven't been able to use the forum "Your posts" and "New posts" for a couple of days now.

I am not keen enough to manually look through the forums (except to post this, lucky it was in the first forum and towards the top)

I assume it won't be fixed until after the holidays, hope I remember to come back... :mrgreen:
BIG thanks. "Your posts" and "New posts" seems to be working fine now. :mrgreen:
* Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation

Pete_Stevens

Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:20 pm

Good to hear positive news that the forums are working well.

I'd be very surprised if Pi4 was released tomorrow, I was merely strongly encouraged to get the upgrade through before Christmas rather than having my head stapled to my keyboard to make sure it happened. That said, I took off on a six hour flight three minutes after Pi2 launched because nobody remembered to tell me it was happening.

So if Pi4 does hit tomorrow, I'll probably be even more surprised than the rest of you!

<goes to stalk the roof for Santa in-case he has a Pi4 shaped box>

PhatFil

Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:33 am

jamesh wrote:
davidcoton wrote:
jahboater wrote:
\we need to address this P4 spike pretty rapidly, the developers must have forgotten that lots of little children get to handle pi computers and anything with a nasty spike will end in tears .

think of the children,

poor lil lambs

hippy

Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:52 pm

Just encountered the Raspberry Pi "We are currently experiencing high traffic. We'll be back shortly" page when trying to edit a post - 2018-12-26 14:40 UTC.

That is the one with the Raspberry Pi logo at the top, which seems to sit between the forum-style warning that load is high on user search, unread posts, etc, and the Cloudfare generated error when things get really bad.

Things seem to have immediately recovered though I have noticed some quite long delays recently between clicking to edit a post and getting the page which allows editing to appear.

Imperf3kt

Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:08 am

PhatFil wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:33 am
jamesh wrote:
davidcoton wrote:

\we need to address this P4 spike pretty rapidly, the developers must have forgotten that lots of little children get to handle pi computers and anything with a nasty spike will end in tears .

think of the children,

poor lil lambs
I always thought the GPIO header was dangerous enough as it is.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

jamesh

Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:31 am

hippy wrote:
Just encountered the Raspberry Pi "We are currently experiencing high traffic. We'll be back shortly" page when trying to edit a post - 2018-12-26 14:40 UTC.

That is the one with the Raspberry Pi logo at the top, which seems to sit between the forum-style warning that load is high on user search, unread posts, etc, and the Cloudfare generated error when things get really bad.

Things seem to have immediately recovered though I have noticed some quite long delays recently between clicking to edit a post and getting the page which allows editing to appear.
Heavy traffic at the moment. May occasionally be this issue, but on the whole, recovery should be much faster.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:42 pm

Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

code_exec

Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:10 pm

hippy wrote:

I also experienced the same issue earlier.
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS desktop images for the Raspberry Pi 3.

https://github.com/CodeExecution/Ubuntu-ARM64-RPi

Return to “General discussion”