code_exec

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. The server has high load. Please try again later."

Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:49 am

So I decided to look through my posts. When I tried to do so, I got this error:

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. The server has high load. Please try again later."

To check if it wasn't an issue with browser cache, I tried incognito mode. Same issue. I tried looking at someone else's profile to check that it wasn't an issue with my profile. Same issue.

Can a moderator of this forum remove the error message or at least discuss the issue with the domain provider? This error message, along with the "We are currently experiencing high traffic" one, is incredibly annoying. I honestly don't care if the server really is experiencing high traffic, this error message is annoying.
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS desktop images for the Raspberry Pi 3.

https://github.com/CodeExecution/Ubuntu-ARM64-RPi

DougieLawson

Re: "Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. The server has high load. Please try again later."

Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:52 am

Look like something has been trying to DDoS the forum again. When that happens the mitigation is to disable search until the DDoS is discovered and disabled.

Expect an improved service tomorrow. Expect it to be broken again on Tuesday & Wednesday.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: "Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. The server has high load. Please try again later."

Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:00 am

code_exec wrote:

To check if it wasn't an issue with browser cache, I tried incognito mode. Same issue. I tried looking at someone else's profile to check that it wasn't an issue with my profile. Same issue.

Can a moderator of this forum remove the error message or at least discuss the issue with the domain provider? This error message, along with the "We are currently experiencing high traffic" one, is incredibly annoying. I honestly don't care if the server really is experiencing high traffic, this error message is annoying.
The alternative is a blank page or complete non responsiveness. Which is worse.

Moderators do not have the ability to change the way the forum works, that job is down to the webteam, and currently everyone is on holiday.

The new server is, I believe, ready to go, but I am not sure when it will be moved online. That should help, but there is clearly some sort of DDoS going on as well, perhaps scrappers of the site overloading the database
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Imperf3kt

Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:55 pm

code_exec wrote:
This error message, along with the "We are currently experiencing high traffic" one, is incredibly annoying. I honestly don't care if the server really is experiencing high traffic, this error message is annoying.
I assure you, nobody wants to see that message, but perhaps you should read it. Maybe then you would care enough to know why it has appeared and why your post is very rude.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

code_exec

Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:20 pm

gordon77 wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:06 pm
Let's hope RPF get some new forum kit for Xmas :D
Same! :D

Pete_Stevens

Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:37 pm

Happy Christmas!

Was, 8vCPus at 2Ghz, 16GB RAM, 100GB HDD (RAID10 with caching controller)

now

16 hyperthreaded CPUs at 2.1Ghz, turbo-boost to 3Ghz, 128GB RAM, 256GB mirrored SSD and 4TB HDD

all for the forums.

DougieLawson

Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:02 pm

Thanks Pete. I knew you and your excellent tech team had done something to fix it. Mythic Beasts are an incredible ISP/hosted service/etc. and if I needed your type of service you'd be the first port of call.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

MrEngman

Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:55 pm

I though things were sorted as I'd accessed the forum without issues after 3 days, but just accessed the forum again and selecting Quick links/Unread posts...

And up pops "Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. The server has high load. Please try again later." again

Oh well, just have wait and see how things go.
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Greg Erskine

Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:44 pm

FYI: I haven't been able to use the forum "Your posts" and "New posts" for a couple of days now.

I am not keen enough to manually look through the forums (except to post this, lucky it was in the first forum and towards the top)

I assume it won't be fixed until after the holidays, hope I remember to come back... :mrgreen:
* Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation

Pete_Stevens

Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:19 am

Just dropped one of the performance tweaks back in. These are all working for me - are you still having issues?

MrEngman

Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:39 am

I'm able to use Quick links/Unread posts again.

Thanks.
MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:17 am

code_exec wrote:

Thanks for posting this which has already been discussed and answered twice in December !
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

jamesh

Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:05 am

Seems to all working well for me at the moment, so unless anyone has anything specific to report, lets keep it civil, shall we?
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

jahboater

Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:21 am

Works fine for me too.

A big thanks to whoever implemented this instead of doing their christmas shopping!

jamesh

Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:02 am

jahboater wrote:
Works fine for me too.

A big thanks to whoever implemented this instead of doing their christmas shopping!
Pete at Mythic Beasts moved the forum data over last night from the VM which was running it to its own dedicated server - lots more power. Needed small tweak on some settings, and hey presto, all up and running. We should now have over twice the capacity as before. Going to cost a few more quid a month to run, but easier than trying to fix PHPBB which is a bit of a dogs dinner! Anyways, Xmas thanks go to Pete and the staff at Mythic Beasts.

Burngate

Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:27 am

Pete_Stevens wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:37 pm
16 hyperthreaded CPUs at 2.1Ghz, turbo-boost to 3Ghz, 128GB RAM, ...
So now we know what RPi 4C+++ looks like

Happy Christmas to everyone, at Cambridge & on the forum!

tvjon

Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:40 am

I must just be unlucky then, as I've had several of these screens.

Fortunately, RSS is working ok.
Attachments
hi-traffic.jpg
hi-traffic.jpg (52.14 KiB) Viewed 1250 times

gordon77

Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:55 am

jamesh wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:02 am
jahboater wrote:
Works fine for me too.

Pete at Mythic Beasts moved the forum data over last night from the VM which was running it to its own dedicated server - lots more power. Needed small tweak on some settings, and hey presto, all up and running. We should now have over twice the capacity as before. Going to cost a few more quid a month to run, but easier than trying to fix PHPBB which is a bit of a dogs dinner! Anyways, Xmas thanks go to Pete and the staff at Mythic Beasts.
Thanks guys. Working OK for me :D

jamesh

Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:32 pm

tvjon wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:40 am
I must just be unlucky then, as I've had several of these screens.

Fortunately, RSS is working ok.
Odd, all seems to be working fine here. What particular function are you trying to do?

tvjon

Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:39 pm

Just as you see in the picture I posted - go to that url.

To save you typing that lot in:

viewtopic.php?t=229642&p=1407621#p1407621

In fact I've just received that same screen.

Reloading a few seconds later & it comes up with the actual post.

code_exec

Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:06 pm

Issue apears to have been fixed. Thanks Mythic Beasts.

klricks

Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:38 pm

code_exec wrote:
What makes you think the issue has been fixed?
This issue has been going on almost everyday for weeks at random times during the day.
When the issue happens none of the quick links work forcing the use of the cumbersome Board index instead.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

jahboater

Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:09 pm

klricks wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:38 pm
code_exec wrote:
What makes you think the issue has been fixed?
This issue has been going on almost everyday for weeks at random times during the day.
When the issue happens none of the quick links work forcing the use of the cumbersome Board index instead.
Read the earlier posts.

Return to “General discussion”