piercee100

Re: Needs a launch game?

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:13 am

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I did take a quick look but didnt find anthing?

I know that the Pi is not a games machine but feel it would have instant appeal if a child could plug it in and have access to some sort of game.   Why did the ZX Spectrum out sell the BBC micro?   Games!   (well that and price).   All formats are kinda remembered for the games that were around at the launch time and this is what sold them plus it keeps people interested.   We were all tricked / led / blackmailed into an education.

Imagine how awesome it could be playing some sort of multplayer deathmatch (Quake 3 for example) using multiple Pi's around your house with your kids, or friends?

Fresh new Pi users may struggle to get games to compile and run so if something exciting was ready and waiting for them they could jump straight in and ask the questions later.   Children would not want to sit looking at a bare linux distro getting excited over suduko or solitaire.

piglet

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:25 am

Surely it should come with Elite prepopulated on the distro card

scubaguy

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:49 am

My vote is for Pong . . . really retro!

lworbey

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:56 am

... with a bouncing raspberry instead of a ball!

grumpyoldgit

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:58 am

scubaguy said:

I would be interested in a simple game project for coding novices like myself. If a simple game like Pong was made into a coding tutorial, starting off from scratch and then gradually building up to a working game as coding skills are developed. That would certainly grab me.

willlim

Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:24 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:

scubaguy said:

I would be interested in a simple game project for coding novices like myself. If a simple game like Pong was made into a coding tutorial, starting off from scratch and then gradually building up to a working game as coding skills are developed. That would certainly grab me.

this is very good idea, do a basic pong isn't so harsh

Hugh Reynolds

Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:33 pm

scubaguy said:

Hopefully a version of OOlite http://www.oolite.org/ can be made to work.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:32 pm

"Little Brick Out."

For those of you who remember the Apple ][
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

mgmt_idiot

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:44 am

Definitely agree that Elite should ship with it, particularly given who's backing this

orangekeeper

Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:06 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:

scubaguy said:

Check this guy out: http://www.youtube.com/user/Ra.....re=g-all-u

Jaseman

Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:13 pm

Outrun

Jaseman

Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:14 pm

Or... 'This is Nancy at Chase headquarters.... We've got an emergency here!'

pocketeers

Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:45 pm

I agree, games are what got me into programming when I was a kid. I was fascinated to find out how they worked, which lead to my fascination with computers and programming.

I'm looking at the possibility of porting our open source game engine IwGame over to Raspberry Pi in the near future - http://www.drmop.com/index.php.....me-engine/

Its free and open source so everyone can use it as a basis for their own gaming projects. Its main feature is its mark-up language XOML (similar concept to Silverlight XAML / Adobe MXML), kind of makes coding games and interactive animating stuff super easy.

theotox

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:20 pm

mgmt_idiot said:

Definitely agree that Elite should ship with it, particularly given who's backing this

Indeed!

Just imaging a RPI-based LAN party, running a (long-overdue) multiuser version of Elite!

Would be awesome!

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:33 pm

We're having a meeting tomorrow where this will be one of the things under discussion. FWIW, I don't believe David actually owns all the IP in Elite any more (it is amazing how these things get split up when companies take over other companies, and then get taken over themselves - we had a hell of a time working out who owned BBC Basic), but we'll do our best.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

genfish

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:53 am

I'd get involved with this, I have years of experience as a dev and a games programming degree

DaanKortenbach

Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:06 pm

Would love to see Elite on this. The first computergame I played was Elite Frontier and since then I'm hooked to the genre. Too bad games in the genre mostly suck. On the other hand, I get work done Waiting for Inifinity to finish since it is the most promising but that could take a while http://www.infinity-universe.com/.

Anyway, I would love to see Elite (or OOlite) on this.

Noah Caldwell

Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:49 pm

This is a great idea. I think that we should make every effort to put in readable code and comment it well so that the kids can easily alter and expand it without too much stress. A nice reusable, portable RPG engine would also be a good idea- easy to work with and understand, naturally. I"m thinking games like Pong, Minesweeper, Pac-Man, Bosconian/Galaga, Adventure, and Moria are good ideas- Pong, Minesweeper, and Galaga for examples of game logic, and Adventure and Moria are there for being expanded and altered (not a whole lot to change about Pong, heh). Perhaps a poll should be held among the community to decide the most modular and simple games?

mgmt_idiot

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:55 pm

If Elite does make it onto RasPi, I'd like it to recreate the BBC Model B experience as much as possible for nostalgia.

The other game I'd like to see is Interdictor. I spent many hours playing that on the A5000 as a displacement activity to avoid my dissertation

aballen

Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:24 pm

Why not MAME?

liamfraser280

Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:38 pm

I vote for quake !

TehTux

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:48 pm

Liam Fraser said:

I vote for quake !

Seconded - quake engine has been open-sourced and is light on the resources

GlennPegden

Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:17 pm

If we're going down the Elite route and Messrs Braben, Bell and anyone else who may want to sue me agree, then I still have the source to Christian Pinders excellent reverse-engineer of Elite, "Elite: The New Kind" (along with my own unfinished and unreleased attempt to do for E-TNK what Alex Duggan did for the original Elite) kicking around.

From memory it was C using the Allego libraries, so a Linux port (if one doesn't already exist) shouldn't be too hard.

The combination of classic Elite with shinier graphics may be more appealing to kids than an emulation of the 6502 version.

MegaGumbo

Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:23 am

Once the Rpi is available, I"ll have a go at getting Oolite to run. It"s also a nice little project to get started with the device. Unless the game is not already part of the official distribution, that is. So one more vote for either Oolite or Elite.

oninoshiko

Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:24 pm

If you want to go retro, what about Spacewar?

I don't think you can get more retro then that!

Return to “General discussion”