oldjake

Coffee anyone?

Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:49 pm

Just ordered one of these:

https://www.heymugsy.com/

Has anyone got one already, or anything similar?

scruss

Re: Coffee anyone?

Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:22 pm

I hope that product actually gets to ship. Kickstarters for coffee/tea related apparatus have a very low success rate. Sure, they get funded, but then they hit some snags:
  • electrical safety certification for a kilowatt-class heating device is really hard for just one country, and starts to get virtually impossible for a small team for more than one country. That's before dealing with countries that have multiple electrical standards
  • boiling water is really unfriendly to plastics and electronics
  • there's apparently an IP holding company that maintains a portfolio of patents on some of the surprisingly obvious components of kettles and boilers, such as safe switches and thermal cutouts. To pass product safety, you pretty much have to use their designs. Their licensing is not friendly to small-run manufacturers.
While I'm a minor-league coffee aficionado (have been known to roast my own) I have affluent friends who are beyond obsessed (we're talking lab-grade heaters and timers, single-estate beans and in one case, iceberg water …) who have funded every new coffee-delivery system, but I don't know of any that got shipped. Personally, I'd love a Clover clone freed from the grabby arms of the Starbucks burnt-coffee mermaid.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

oldjake

Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:03 pm

I think this is past kickstarter stage and they're already shipping. I messaged the guy this morning on FB about colour choices and he's just come back to me so that's a good start.

I've got an Aeropress and Oomph already. These were Kickstarter projects. I know this one is different because it's a coffee maker rather than just a manual press but I'm confident that it'll ship when he says it will. Hopefully I won't get bitten!

davidcoton

Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:52 pm

oldjake wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:03 pm
I think this is past kickstarter stage and they're already shipping.
but I'm confident that it'll ship when he says it will. Hopefully I won't get bitten!
You didn't read to the bottom of the page you linked? He's still working on power supply issues.
Signature retired

oldjake

Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:23 pm

He says he has it under control. Sometimes you've got to have a little faith. If innovation relied on the feelings of naysayers, nothing would get off the ground. I'd love to find some opinion on the Pi when it was first mooted:

"Yeah, we're gonna build a computer on a board the size of a cigarette packet for less than $30 and we're gonna sell 20 million of them in the next 5 years or so"

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:29 pm

oldjake wrote:
He says he has it under control. Sometimes you've got to have a little faith. If innovation relied on the feelings of naysayers, nothing would get off the ground. I'd love to find some opinion on the Pi when it was first mooted:

"Yeah, we're gonna build a computer on a board the size of a cigarette packet for less than $30 and we're gonna sell 20 million of them in the next 5 years or so"
Actually, we expected to sell 30 thousand, over two years.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

davidcoton

Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:47 pm

oldjake wrote:
He says he has it under control. Sometimes you've got to have a little faith.
I know he says. I don't know him or hios reputation, so I make no judgement on the accuracy of his statements. At least he's communicating, it's the silent problems that really annoy me. My comment was aimed at your statement about "already shipping", which is clearly untrue. And there is no clear date for shipping -- only a promise of an update by tomorrow (Sunday).

Sometimes you need to take off your rose-tinted glasses and read what is actually happening, not just what you want to hear. It's not about refusing trust (faith is a different issue), it's about having an accurate view as far as the published information allows.
Signature retired

scruss

Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:00 pm

Hey, as a tiny ARM computer user since the SheevaPlug days (2009), I knew the Raspberry pi was entirely feasible.

As for coffee makers, I gave away my Aeropress. Messy, wasteful and slow. But saying that power supply issues are in hand means nothing until you've got your product and it doesn't catch fire when you plug it in.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

jamesh

Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:01 pm

Bit off topic this one.

Just to say, Caveat Emptor.

WIth Kickstarters there does seem to be a lack of Caveating by the emptors.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:03 pm

Well, it did use a raspberry PI, so I let it slip trough moderation.... but yeah, the forum isn't a sales website.

oldjake

Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:01 am

@davidcoton

No rose tinted glasses here. No glasses at all, in fact. I saw the product, decided that I had to have one and ordered it within about 60 seconds. I'm well aware of the potential pitfalls of kickstarter projects and decided to take the risk. I said "I think". That was based on the product page which says "This order is for our second manufacturing run, expected to ship January of 2019.". There's also another update which implies that units have been shipped but I can't find it now.

When I started with an idea, I had absolutely no clue on whether I could achieve it. My career has nothing to do with electronics or software. Ok, I have got a degree in Computer Science with Electronics but that was 30 years ago and probably 25 years since I used any of that in anger. But here I am less than a year later and I have several Raspberry Pis doing some really clever stuff (I think) like occupancy detection to control my heating, security, turning on lights at sunset that don't support being turned on at sunset - thanks to the Ikea article in the last MagPi. All this is through the generosity of others sharing their knowledge and a faith in stuff that nobody "knew" would work.

I don't have many vices, I'm careful with my pennies generally and gambling a couple of hundred quid on something that will make me happy if it pays off, but won't kill me if it doesn't, is less that a lot of people spend on beer in a month.

To the Pi guys: Did you ever in your wildest dreams think that we'd be where we are with it today? Does much of where you/we are today rely on the early faith of a community who, to some extent, had to look at life through rose tinted glasses?

@scruss

Get an Oomph :)

scruss

Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:19 pm

oldjake wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:01 am
Get an Oomph :)
I bought a cafetière in 2002. It still works. The idea of travelling while having coffee is utterly alien to me. Everything stops for coffee.

oldjake

Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:34 pm

scruss wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:19 pm
I bought a cafetière in 2002. It still works. The idea of travelling while having coffee is utterly alien to me. Everything stops for coffee.
Ah, now there's the thing. The Oomph isn't a thing to make good coffee and travel. It's a thing to travel and make good coffee when you get there. If you're in a hotel and it's too late to go out and get a coffee then it definitely beats the sachets of instant you get in most places. I went from instant to a Nespresso machine and though nothing could beat it. Then bean to cup espresso machine - which I still have and rate. And for Saturdays when I've got the house to myself, the ritual of the Chemex with the glass kettle, filtered water, boiled slowly on the gas ring... perfect! Now, instant coffee bears no resemblance to coffee whatsoever.

Return to “General discussion”