marquen

My RPi model B+ won't turn on, is there any way to revive it?

Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:32 pm

Hi guys, I already posted the same question on reddit, but I guess I might get more help here. Here is the post:

"A couple months ago I got Rpi from my grandma as a gift and since I've been busy with college I didn't have a chance to play with it, so I just boot it up once, saw how it looks like and left it in the box. Recently, I've been reading about selfhosting stuff and since I found some free time, I decided to power up rpi again and try some things.

I've turned it on normally, but meantime roommate called me to help him something, so I left it turned on, but when we finished and I returned, I saw rpi being "turned off". I thought maybe it's power outage, since it happens from time to time, but when I wanted to boot it again, it doesn't react at all. I've tried googling and found viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58151 page and many others online, but nothing helped so far. I've been trying for 4 hours now.

I found some people's final solution was to replace the faulty rpi in warranty, but since mine being a gift, I have no idea where grandma bought it and she is, unfortunately, deceased so I have no idea who to contact to.

Being a student on a tight budget, buying another one is not a solution for now, sadly."

Just to mention, since I did in the comments there. I've tried exchanging cables and sd card, basically everything except the pi itself.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: My RPi model B+ won't turn on, is there any way to revive it?

Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:35 pm

read the sticky again, and follow its advise, I tend to believe you have not.

Use a new sd-card, flash it with the latest copy of raspbian, using Etcher, and a good power supply, but if that doesn't help, probably nothing will.

If your PI is really broken *nothing* will revive it, (there are no repairable parts) but PI's normally won't break by themselves, but if they do (in very few cases the 3V3 supply of a 3B+ might break spontaneously, or the polyfuse burns out, temporarily, as it self heals).
In those case your PI either doesn't get 5V or 3V3 power, so you can measure that.

But in most (99.9% of) cases the PI isn't broken but you simply are not giving it the correct boot code for it to start up.

In the rare case your PI spontaniously dies in the first month or so, you can return it under guarantee. ask the person that has given you it where she bought it.and return it there.

marquen

Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:43 pm

Thanks for answering mahjongg. I've tried new sdcard, but unfortunately it didn't solve the issue. It was smaller (16GB) than the one which was already in it, but I don't think that's relevant for this.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:54 pm

marquen wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:43 pm
Thanks for answering mahjongg. I've tried new sdcard, but unfortunately it didn't solve the issue. It was smaller (16GB) than the one which was already in it, but I don't think that's relevant for this.
Did you try it in another PI? if not it could still be wrongly imaged. 16GM is plenty, you only have to be concerned when it is smaller than 8GB, or larger than 32GB (but 64/128GB will work fine if you don't try to use NOOBS).

I won't go into your case further, as all I know about this subject has already been put in the sticky.

perhaps other forum members can help you decide what to do now.... :|

one thing to do is to measure for the presence of 3V3 and 5V on the pins of the GPIO with a multi-meter, with the black lead touching one of the large metal surfaces of either the USB or ethernet connectors, as all these are connected to GND, and its much easier to measure with the red probe on the GPIO pins without slipping, and potentially shorting two pins together, which potentially WILL destroy a PI even if it is not destroyed now.

Also if the main chip (under the metal cap) warms up when there is no sd-card inserted (so no software is running) then this chip (SOC) is damaged.

hippy

Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:59 pm

mahjongg wrote:
If your PI is really broken *nothing* will revive it, (there are no repairable parts)
That not strictly correct - There are many repairable parts and people have replaced parts and had their Pi work again.

It does of course depend on what parts are broken and it's not necessarily easy to do repairs without the right skills, experience and tools, and there's no guarantee a repair will be successful.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:03 am

yeah yeah yeah...... :x

Yes, for the real professional there will always be some cap or other small part that can be replaced....... big deal, changes nothing about what I said.... :ugeek:

for the average person the PI has no repairable parts...... :roll:

marquen

Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:05 am

I didn't, since this is the only pi I have. I've tried both sdcards, just to make sure they aren't faulty. So first I "reimaged" the first card which was originally in pi and after it didn't work, I tried with a new card and that one didn't work as well, so I assume the problem is more related to pi itself than cards (I could be wrong of course).

I don't have an experience to fix it myself and replace the parts on it, since I've no idea what's broken on it in the first place.

Burngate

Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:19 am

It rather depends on how seriously you want to get into computing, etc., but it would seem that, although the Pi itself is remarkably cheap, as a hobby, most people spend more than they should, buying extra bits 'n' bobs such as LEDs, motors, displays, &c. and then a second Pi, and a third, and a fourth ...

This Pi was a gift, so breaking it hasn't cost you anything. However, investing in a second Pi could possibly allow you to recover your first - two for the price of one, as it were.

But it might be worthwhile first investing in a multimeter. Not only will it allow you to investigate the problem with your Pi, it could also allow you to diagnose your girl/boyfriend's problems with their Cahaya Roll up Electronic drum kit, if they have one ...

First things first, is the red LED lit?
And what have you connected to it besides a keyboard, mouse and monitor?

marquen

Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:32 am

Honestly, I'm really tight on a budget, so buying second one is not an option, for now at least. I'm in Europe, but not in EU, so I would have to pay customs tax beside the device itself, which will add a nice amount to the paid price.

I wanted to build up my own server for nextcloud, but if I can't fix this device, I will just forget about it until I finish college.
Burngate wrote: First things first, is the red LED lit?
Not at all, it's look like rpi doesn't get electricity, but I tried three different power supply and every single one of them works with different devices.
Burngate wrote: And what have you connected to it besides a keyboard, mouse and monitor?
Beside those, sdcard, audio jack and ethernet.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:40 am

Red (power) LED not on?

Have you read the sticky? It clearly mentions this situation.
Check that your power supply and its USB cable is working and fit-for-purpose
This is sufficiently important that the B+ and Pi 2 now contain a detector that signals bad power. On the model A and B the PWR LED was simply connected to power, but on later models of the Pi it is controlled by a "brownout detector" which will switch the LED off whenever the Pi receives insufficient power.
If 5V power does not (fully) reach the PI then you have an under voltage problem, or no voltage at all, that suggest either a broken supply, or a "burned out" polyfuse. leaving the PI off for 48H might revive the polyfuse.

by the way, This isn't a problem of the 3V3 supply breaking down, as the LED represents the availability of 5V, not 3V3 (obviously 3V3 will also be absent, as it is derived from 5V).

marquen

Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:03 pm

Yes, I've read it like I said, but I didn't get much out of it, except the fact that LED suggests insufficient power. As mentioned, I've tried different power supplies (beside the one that previously worked with it) and even different power outlets, but it didn't work. It's really unlikely that all the other devices I have work with them except rpi itself.

One guy on reddit suggested me to try to maybe locate the store where the device was bought by unique ID on it, if there is any? I know other devices have unique ID with them, but I couldn't find such info for rpi on google.

salvato

Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:41 pm

Just to add some noise...
Do you know any other people living near to you and possessing a Raspberry like yours ?
If so why not to try a functioning set of power supply and Sd card ?

drgeoff

Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:40 pm

marquen wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:03 pm
One guy on reddit suggested me to try to maybe locate the store where the device was bought by unique ID on it, if there is any? I know other devices have unique ID with them, but I couldn't find such info for rpi on google.
Yes they all have a serial number but AFAIK it is not printed on any label. It is in the SoC and can only be read by the RPi itself. That is, it needs to be working. Catch 22. :(

BTW Is it really a B+ or is it a 3B+? They are not the same thing.

hippy

Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:51 pm

mahjongg wrote:
The average person many not be able to carry out a repair themselves but that's very different to saying "there are no repairable parts".

Saying that gives a misleading impression that the Pi could not be repaired even if someone were found who would be capable of carrying out the necessary repair.

I am sorry if that feels like pedantry or anything similar but I believe it is important to be accurate and precise in what one says on a public platform, and particularly so when speaking from an authoritative position such as being a moderator.

It doesn't do the Foundation any favours if the forum gains a reputation for providing incorrect or misleading information even if that is unintentional.

marquen

Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:52 pm

salvato wrote: Just to add some noise...
Do you know any other people living near to you and possessing a Raspberry like yours ?
If so why not to try a functioning set of power supply and Sd card ?
Unfortunately I don't, otherwise I would go and check with their working rpi.
drgeoff wrote: Yes they all have a serial number but AFAIK it is not printed on any label. It is in the SoC and can only be read by the RPi itself. That is, it needs to be working. Catch 22. :(

BTW Is it really a B+ or is it a 3B+? They are not the same thing.
Damn, that's really a shame. I know most of devices have that serial number printed on them. It's the latest 3B+ with quad-core processor. I've made a mistake in a title referring to model 3 by default.

DavidS

Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:04 pm

Are the power supplies you are trying actually providing enough current?

Just because they work with a phone or tablet or whatever does not mean that they will work with the RPi.

The Raspberry Pi systems take a good amount of current, and depending on the model this can be more or less an issue. If you are using underpowered power supplies that could be your issue, as it could be dropping the voltage to much from the load of the RPi.
RPi = Way for me to have fun and save power.
100% Off Grid.
Household TTL Electricity Usage = 1.4KW/h per day.
500W Solar System, produces 2.8KW/h per day average.

Burngate

Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:13 am

marquen wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:32 am
Burngate wrote: First things first, is the red LED lit?
Not at all, it's look like rpi doesn't get electricity, but I tried three different power supply and every single one of them works with different devices.
Burngate wrote: And what have you connected to it besides a keyboard, mouse and monitor?
Beside those, sdcard, audio jack and ethernet.
Take out everything - the sdcard, audio jack, ethernet, keyboard, mouse, monitor
Any of the last three could cause a problem, since they're connected to the 5v rail.
If the red LED still doesn't light, it's almost certainly down to the power supply or its lead. (it could be the μUSB power socket, but less likely)

This is where a meter would have been a good investment - you could have measured the voltage on pin 2 of the header.
Since you're a student, is there a physics or engineering department you could visit? They should have a meter you could borrow, and may have a helpfull guy there to guide you.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:55 pm

hippy wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:51 pm
mahjongg wrote:
The average person many not be able to carry out a repair themselves but that's very different to saying "there are no repairable parts".

Saying that gives a misleading impression that the Pi could not be repaired even if someone were found who would be capable of carrying out the necessary repair.

I am sorry if that feels like pedantry or anything similar but I believe it is important to be accurate and precise in what one says on a public platform, and particularly so when speaking from an authoritative position such as being a moderator.

It doesn't do the Foundation any favours if the forum gains a reputation for providing incorrect or misleading information even if that is unintentional.
That does not compute! I never said "there are no repairable parts" full stop.
I clearly said "for the average person", obviously for the non-average person, AKA expert, there is plenty to repair, especially if you own the right equipment, like a de-soldering heat gun, and a suitable microscope, and solder paste dispensers, and a re-flow solder oven.... all of which an average person would not have. But yeah, you can replace a capacitor without all that, but even then you will probably need more equipment than an average person has in his home.

So, am I speaking Chinese instead of English :?: :?: :?: Or is my sentence-building-foo off? Just wondering.... :mrgreen:

hippy

Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:44 am

mahjongg wrote:
That does not compute! I never said "there are no repairable parts" full stop.
It's right there -
mahjongg wrote:
If your PI is really broken *nothing* will revive it, (there are no repairable parts)

mahjongg wrote:
So, am I speaking Chinese instead of English :?: :?: :?: Or is my sentence-building-foo off? Just wondering.... :mrgreen:
Obviously what you believe you were saying is very different to what it appears to me you were saying but I'll leave it to others to decide for themselves what they think.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:52 pm

You are going too far in your Moderator trolling attempts, I think a short ban is in order.
What I said was in direct response to the OP asking "is there any way to revive it?", and as repairing it is impractical for him I answered that it was not, to which you immediately, and bewilderingly, made an exception which was totally nonsensical in this case, and to me was the behavior of someone who was simply contrarian, and in no way helped the original poster.
Here is the proof, that I made the explanation, only minutes later, that "not having repairable parts" was meant only for "average users", that is users without the technical knowledge to do advanced PCB retooling, it was the post I was talking about when I said I explained I made an exception. I was NOT talking about my earlier post. So what are you going on about days later? You should have accepted that what I said was said in the context of what I said, and left it there.
For the average person.PNG
For the average person.PNG (21.55 KiB) Viewed 236 times

Return to “General discussion”