bensimmo

Re: Just about to buy Raspberry Pi for Media Centre and would appreciate help

Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:05 pm

No it's an official Microsoft dongle for the XBOX ONE, if you cannot get it cheap look for others.

Its is not urgent, it is not needed. It is only there to pickup DVB-T/T2 TV (Freeview in the UK) form you Ariel and let you watch it form any connected device (phone etc) but I've forgotten what this project was for.
It does the same as
https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... pi-tv-hat/ but via USB so takes up more space.
There are other TV dongles you can buy too.

(Background to my usage, most Poundland shops had them in for £5 and have been seen for a bit less online. I was passing so bought one to see if I can use it, I cannot on Windows10 but on the Pi it works nicely. Some irony there.

To see one on Amazon use B00E97HVJI as the search.
Look on eBay etc as propel almost certainly bought a load from Poundland to sell on

A case is a case, they'll both work, no idea which is 'better'.

EDIT https://www.thegamecollection.net/xbox- ... r-xbox-one
Last edited by bensimmo on Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mooblie

Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:21 pm

You will probably find you don't even need a keyboard/mouse if you connect your new Kodi system to a TV with HDMI-CEC (as most of them have). This is because the TV's own remote control will control the Kodi system (via the HDMI cable's back-channel).

This is all built-in - don't worry about it - just try the TV remote control when you've got it all setup. You'll almost certainly find the TV remote's navigation (cursor) and transport (playback) controls work for Kodi.

jonnyb

Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:53 am

I see. I've just moved house and now realise that the ariel lead coming into the house isn't in a great place for my Pi so I think this will have to go on the backburner and Freeview will have to wait. KODI or something similar is what I'm mainly looking for.

I'll see if I can re-route the ariel outside at some point and come back to this though as I think it would be great to have Freeview.

jonnyb

Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:28 pm

Getting there:

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+
Official Raspberry Pi 3 Universal Power Supply (5.1V 2.5A)
FLIRC Raspberry Pi Case or Kodi Edition v2 - Still deciding as can't work out if Kodo v2 any better...
64GB Sandisk Class A1 Micro SD card - Bought this..
A USB Keyboard or Wireless Keyboard with wireless USB adapter - Logitech k400 plus looks like a forerunner

I will use the TV (HDMI) as a monitor
I have HDMI cables

jonnyb

Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:39 pm

I've just found out that boths Pi 3 B+ cases are the same but the Kodi one is branded.... and that's it ... nothing else...

jonnyb

Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:57 pm

Thanks for all of the help ... Great advice

Return to “General discussion”