akhil2025

Minimum and maximum operating temperature for raspberry pi 3

Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:38 am

Hello,

What is the minimum and maximum operating temperature range for the raspberry pi. I checked the datasheets but it is not mentioned there. Please let me know if anyone has the knowledge regarding these temperatures.

Thank you,
Akhil

W. H. Heydt

Re: Minimum and maximum operating temperature for raspberry pi 3

Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:26 am

That's a very difficult question answer... Nominally, the answer should be standard consumer grade electronics range, basically any temperature *you* are comfortable in. However...

A Pi user in Australia installed a Pi in his attic--in the summer--and it ran in ambient temperatures of 140F (60C).

A group used a Pi to track penguins in Antarctica. The Pi worked fine down to at least -42C when the batteries powering it froze.

A recent thread discussed a desire to run a Pi at -200C. When tests were run, it failed at -180C because some component values changed too much for it to run. Along the way, a Pi camera quit at -145C.

So...probably dependent on the individual unit, a Pi may function anywhere from -180C to +60C but no one is going to guarantee that yours will. What sort of temperature range did you have in mind?

fruitoftheloom

Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:40 am

akhil2025 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:38 am
Hello,

What is the minimum and maximum operating temperature range for the raspberry pi. I checked the datasheets but it is not mentioned there. Please let me know if anyone has the knowledge regarding these temperatures.

Thank you,
Akhil

It is in the Official FAQ:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... erformance
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit
https://www.asus.com/uk/Mini-PCs/Chromebit-CS10

Heater

Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:11 am

fruitoftheloom,
It is in the Official FAQ:
No it is not. The FAQ says:

...we're not qualifying the board itself...

There is no formal specification of the Pi operating or storage temperature ranges. Nor any guarantee that it will work outside typical consumer product temperature ranges.

Things might be different for the compute modules, I have not checked.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:00 pm

What would help in a thread like this would be for OP to tell us under what conditions he wants a Pi to operate. Given some of the queries that have come along--like -200C and 5T magnetic field--advice is easier to give if you know what is being contemplated.

For now...I'll stick with the expected range being "shirt sleeve environment".

akhil2025

Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:17 am

I don't wish to use the Pi such harsh conditions. My temperature requirement would range from -30 to +70 degrees. I read the datasheet but it is no where mentioned about the operating and storage temperatures.
Any suggestion is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Akhil

W. H. Heydt

Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:33 am

akhil2025 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:17 am
I don't wish to use the Pi such harsh conditions. My temperature requirement would range from -30 to +70 degrees. I read the datasheet but it is no where mentioned about the operating and storage temperatures.
Any suggestion is greatly appreciated!
On what scale...it can't be Kelvin or Rankine (they don't go to negative numbers), so unless you're using something exotic, it has to be either Fahrenheit or Celsius. -30 is similar for both and, while it is probably outside the intended range, various anecdotal accounts suggest a Pi should run at that temperature. +70F is pretty routine and presents no problems. +70C is probably outside what is consider the "normal" range, but a Pi will *probably* handle it, but there are no gaurentees.

As always for this sort of question, the advice is to get a Pi and try it. Reporting back for the edification of the next person is appreciated.

diggie

Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:43 am

Perhaps it's better to regulate the Pi's environment.

You could look into:
* Using GPIO to turn on a heater via relay if it's too cold
* Plug in a USB cup warmer and cut power to the USB ports above a certain temp
* Sparkfun has something you could probably wire up with a 5V adapter https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11288

Some combination of the above and a suitable enclosure might help you reduce chance of failure.

danjperron

Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:19 pm

I live in Canada and I got my Fist PI B version 1.0 running outside for 2 years. I got temperature from -28 Celsius to 30 Celsius without problem.

One night at -28 Celsius My webcam freeze and I had to reboot the Pi . This is the only incident in 2 years. except from some power grid outage. I should check my log and see what was my lowest temp.

Right now that PI bough in 2012 is still running and has been relocated to control my MQTT IOT, nrf24L01 network.

akhil2025

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:29 am

Hello,

The Temperature range is in Celsius. I guess I'll try subjecting Pi to these temperature range and will post back the result.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:08 pm

akhil2025 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:29 am
Hello,

The Temperature range is in Celsius. I guess I'll try subjecting Pi to these temperature range and will post back the result.
Okay... Based on the anecdotes we've seen, the only part that might give you problems is the +70C. Aside from wondering what you're doing that would subject the Pi to that temperature (even Death Valley doesn't get that hot...the record there is 56.7C). So my request to you is...report back on how your Pi does at the max temp you are anticipating.

Paul Hutch

Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:04 am

I had a Pi0W halt at -20°C after multiple days below -10°C. Keep in mind that the operating temperature range of the uSD card, power supply, and other peripherals you use will often be the limiting components. In my case I have no idea whether mine stopped due to the Pi, the uSD, the power supply or the Pi camera, any one of them could make it halt.

An easy solution for cold environments is to monitor the temperature and make the CPU run to create heat and warm up the enclosure. This is what I plan to do when I build something that must stay up over the winter (the Pi that stopped was a bird nest cam so not needed in the winter).

Return to “General discussion”