raymate

Looking for small mechanical wired keyboard...

Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:25 am

Have one of them tiny wireless keyboards you can get plenty of different styles on eBay amazon etc.

I'm looking for a small form factory USB wired keyboard, ideally something mechanical, the keys don't need to be full size. Ideally not full size as I want a small compact quality keyboard, for example I use a wire Apple keyboard and I want one smaller than that for sure.

Any recommendations?

W. H. Heydt

Re: Looking for small mechanical wired keyboard...

Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:36 am

Before I can even try to give a recommendation, I'd need to know what you mean by "mechanical". There are a lot of membrane keyboards out there, some even relatively small, but these days "mechanical" usually means mechanical key switches rather than membrane contacts...and I've never seen a small keyboard with mechanical switches (though I've love it if someone can point to one).

raymate

Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:41 am

Yes no membrane, I like the ones such as "POKR3R" and "WHITEFOX" "MAGICFORCE" preferred switches for me are cherry brown, but I'm really looking for a cheaper alternative even copy of said keyboard, its running on a Pi so dont real want to use a keyboard that costs more than the Pi itself really, but mechanical normally means more cost
W. H. Heydt wrote:
Before I can even try to give a recommendation, I'd need to know what you mean by "mechanical". There are a lot of membrane keyboards out there, some even relatively small, but these days "mechanical" usually means mechanical key switches rather than membrane contacts...and I've never seen a small keyboard with mechanical switches (though I've love it if someone can point to one).

W. H. Heydt

Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:24 am

raymate wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:41 am
Yes no membrane, I like the ones such as "POKR3R" and "WHITEFOX" "MAGICFORCE" preferred switches for me are cherry brown, but I'm really looking for a cheaper alternative even copy of said keyboard, its running on a Pi so dont real want to use a keyboard that costs more than the Pi itself really, but mechanical normally means more cost
W. H. Heydt wrote:
I think your search is doomed. The least expensive mechanical key switch keyboard I know of is the Unicomp, and that costs $85. I'd be very surprised to see such a keyboard for less than the cost of a Pi. I'd also be very surprised to see one that has a key pitch less than the standard spacing. You *might* be able to find a mechanical keyboard used for less than a Pi, but keyboards and mice are things I generally avoid on the used market and it might be difficult to find one with a USB interface if it's old enough to go back to when mechanical keyboards were common.

What you might want to do is investigate the better grades of membrane keyboards. For instance, I find that the Logitech K-120 isn't bad, but it is full sized.

On the whole, I think your requirements are mutually exclusive.

k-pi

Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:58 am

Not as small as you are looking for, but smaller than regular keyboards with number pads, is my CiT model KB-738, (cost me £10 when I bought mine) - might be worth you taking a look.

Mortimer

Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:04 pm

--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

jardino

Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:19 pm

If the numeric keys on the keyboard are not required, then the search for "small" may have more results.
Alan.
IT Background: Honeywell H2000 ... CA Naked Mini ... Sinclair QL ... WinTel ... Linux ... Raspberry Pi.

hippy

Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:41 pm

XBox 360 Chatpad keypads are physically small, cheap, and have a good 'mechanical click' feel to them. They are UART serial interfaced using a proprietary protocol but can be wired direct to a Pi's UART. They can be made ASCII UART or RS232 serial or USB using a cheap micro,

looted

Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:13 pm

I recommend https://www.redragonzone.com/collections/keyboard Typically a sub 40$ keyboard you can get from amazon. I'm using this fpr a similar build.

Return to “General discussion”