ChrisProls

Re: Getting prepared for release date.

Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:08 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for information on how to get ready for the d-day.

Hardware wise, I've compiled a quick list of needed items :

USB hub
USB keyboard
USB mouse
micro-USB power supply (cable to computer or wallplug)
HDNI cable (with or without DVI adaptor)
xx Go SDHC memory card (one or more)
external hard drive
WiFi / bluetooth dongle
a gertboard, maybe ... probably

Software wise ... I have no clue.

Wether it is about getting what will be needed or how to start "practicing" ... please do not hesitate to point me in the right direction, in the right google keyword/tag, in the right forum thread, etc.

Maybe as a lot of people, I have windows and an alternative ubuntu/debian/mint system. I'm a end-user and sometimes (not always) I look into man pages to sort my problems or enrich my computer with new features.

Cheers !!

PS: the answer is yes, I have looked already a bit in the forum but couldn't find much information (except for the hardware chapter)

Nota "very" Bene : the success of thinkerer's accessories (such as Arduino) has a lot to do with beginner-friendly tutorials. This thread could be the start of one.

grumpyoldgit

Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:20 pm

It says elsewhere that a suitable power supply with micro-USB will be on sale at the Pi shop. There will also be SD cards offered with different flavours of Linux.

HDMI to DVI cables are available from Amazon for just over £2.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:47 pm

ChrisProls said:

Hi,

I'm looking for information on how to get ready for the d-day.

Hardware wise, I've compiled a quick list of needed items :

USB hub
USB keyboard
USB mouse
HDNI cable (with or without DVI adaptor)
xx Go SDHC memory card (one or more)
external hard drive
WiFi / bluetooth dongle
a gertboard, maybe ... probably

A pretty comprehensive list - I've an alternative with suggestions:

Wireless Keyboard/Mouse (only needs one USB connection)

USB PSU/USB-Micro USB cable

HDMI lead

SD memory card (probably min 4Gb)

USB Hard Disk (desktop, not "portable". Desktop HDDs come with a psu!)

Unpowered USB hub

Some suggestions:

Instead of the HDD why not a high capacity memory stick?  32Gb are fairly cheap

With my first list, a USB hub isn't essential, but provided a powered HDD is used or a memory stick chosen instead and a hub is required for other expansion, then the hub needen't be a powered one, a passive hub will be adequate.

If you've a Model A then a wifi/bluetooth dongle would be essential, but if you've got a Model B then you can save money by using an ethernet cable.  Or perhaps not. 

A Gertboard would be nice, but it won't be out before the Pi!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Jaseman

Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:05 pm

I can see the demand for an Accessory Pack at the Pi Store.

Also T-shirts, Mugs, Caps, Pens, A choice of carry cases, and other merchandise!

mkopack

Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:54 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:

It says elsewhere that a suitable power supply with micro-USB will be on sale at the Pi shop. There will also be SD cards offered with different flavours of Linux.

HDMI to DVI cables are available from Amazon for just over £2.

I would look for a keyboard with a built in USB hub - That way you can run the mouse right off it.

Likewise, I'd probably go for a big USB thumbdrive rather than a USB hard drive - much less power draw, and that might allow you to avoid having to get a powered USB hub.

Wifi/BT adaptor - eh, if you need it, ok. Personally, I'll just hook it up to ethernet. At that point (assuming you go the way I mentioned above) you only are buying KB, mouse, + thumb drive and are done.

PSU I'd just go ahead and get from RPi just to be sure you're getting something that's known to work properly - too many crappy 3rd party ones out there.

SD card, I'd also get straight from them - less going nuts finding one that works properly and having to burn the OS onto it.

TheEponymousBob

Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:00 pm

mkopak said:

I would look for a keyboard with a built in USB hub - That way you can run the mouse right off it.

I"ve decided to take a chance with a Logitech wireless mouse & keyboard with USB dongle. Main worry of course is if it needs drivers that aren"t available for ARM, but the reviews I"ve seen suggest the dongle presents the input as standard HID, and has worked for folks without needing to install drivers, so fingers crossed. I"ll report the results when get a board.

That will take the USB socket, I"ll be using ethernet to wire to a wireless bridge (already in place), so then it"s just HDMI to telly, power supply from RPi shop (for safety"s sake), and an official pre-flashed SD card will see me ready to go.

At least that"s the theory...

Chromatix

Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:15 pm

Assuming you take the PSU from the R-Pi shop, you should only need the following:

1) HDMI or DVI computer monitor, or a TV with HDMI or Composite input.

Aria currently have a basic 17" monitor with DVI for £57.  Even better, it's *not* widescreen, that means more lines of code per screen for your money.

2) Cable to connect R-Pi to monitor.  NB: many HDMI cables in shops are horribly overpriced, so shop around - Aria currently have one on special for £5.11.

In my case that will involve a HDMI-DVI adapter and a DVI KVM switch, sharing the monitor with other computers.  Composite is a fallback position, the picture will be low-resolution and rather blurred with it.

3) SD or SDHC card to boot from - say 4GB or 8GB.  Addtional storage for backups or bigger experiments can come later.  You could also buy the pre-flashed card from R-Pi.

Some SDHC cards are definitely better than others with typical Linux filesystems - I suggest buying SanDisk for consistently good results.  Other cards are usually designed only for cameras, whose performance needs are much simpler than a full computer.  It's hard to tell which are good without prior experience, but Kingston (which unfortunately are all that Aria sell) tend to be particularly poor.

4) SDHC compatible card reader, to flash your choice of OS onto the card via your existing PC.  These are often available bundled with SD cards, useful if money is tight.  Otherwise £4.28 at Aria.

5) USB keyboard and/or mouse.  Or PS/2 versions plus an adapter to USB.

In my case these are already connected to the KVM switch.

If you plan to do programming, strongly suggest an English layout (as opposed to, say, Nordic) as then the symbols are more accessible.  Going upmarket (eg. Cherry) is also a good investment to save your fingers, but a basic £7.19 set is available from Aria.

Wireless versions are usually a lot more expensive than wired, so I would suggest a USB hub (under £10, Aria) before resorting to that.  Depending on which distro you install, a mouse might not be necessary.  In any case the Model B has two USB ports.

6) Optional: Ethernet cable and spare port on switch/hub/router.  Cable may often be described as Cat5e and/or RJ45.  A 2-metre cable is currently £2.71 at Aria.

It is probably actually more fun to try running it without Internet access, especially if you are trying to follow a programming course.  Actually typing stuff in rather than just downloading it ensures that you read (and hopefully understand) the relevant code thoroughly.

7) A non-conducting surface to rest it on.  Nick a tupperware lid from the kitchen, make a paper case, or just buy a spare mousemat.  Also, try not to spill your coffee.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

okult

Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:03 pm

Just found out about these, aim to get a few of these as soon as poss. Got some nice ideas for cases. These are really sweet bits of kit massive well done to the devs.

ChrisProls

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:42 am

Anybody can advise on the "software" side ?

... my original doubt/question was :

"Software wise … I have no clue.

Wether it is about getting what will be needed or how to start "practicing" … please do not hesitate to point me in the right direction, in the right google keyword/tag, in the right forum thread, etc.

Maybe as a lot of people, I have windows and an alternative ubuntu/debian/mint system. I'm a end-user and sometimes (not always) I look into man pages to sort my problems or enrich my computer with new features."

Thank you !

ChrisProls

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:54 am

I could not find how to edit my original post so hereafter is an update for the hardware-getting-ready-chapter :

Basic configuration :
Wireless Keyboard/Mouse (with 1 USB dongle only)
HDMI cable (with or without DVI adaptor)
4~8 Go SD memory card
SD card reader (needed to write the OS ont he card ?)

Can add :
WiFi / bluetooth dongle
USB hub
external hard drive (with it's own power supply)
a gertboard, maybe … probably

Can exchange :
no hard drive, just a large SD card
no hard drive, but a big thumb drive (less power draw

Note :
For a wallplug power supply, many people advise to trust the one from RPi shop ... you might not want to burn your RPi nor you USB connected devices.
For the SD card, make sure you get a good one (take a brand and follow RPi advices ont their wiki)

MG2R

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:17 am

I consider myself to be an end-user too, although I've set up my own linux data/web/minecraft/anything I can imagine server here at home and done a little bit of programming and figuring things out myself.

I'm planning a couple of different things for my Pi:

I'm first going to put a headless Debian on there, just to see if the device (all the ports, etc. etc.) works properly and does everything I want it to do
Second, I'll probably install Gnome or some other GUI and set this thing up as an every day machine (you know, the type of thing my parents need for browsing the web and using office software)
If that goes well, I'm going to run XBMC on it, using it as a mediacenter
After that, I'll transform this into a data/web server. Data will be provided from a USB hard drive (I know, not fast, but it does the job for a friend of mine who'll be living out of the country for a couple of months soon and can't take his full server with him)

Then, after all of that, I'm going to do a little hardware project: transforming this thing into a tablet for everyday use! I hope I'll succeed, I'm still working on the hardware selection at the moment. If it works, I'll design a solid case for it and let it be printed @ Shapeways.

–EDIT–

You should be able to edit your post with a button in the header of the post (not the web page), when you're signed in of course

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:14 pm

Having checked through storage, I find that I've got
A wireless keyboard and mouse
An unpowered USB hub
An HDMI cable
A suitable TV

So, if lucky, on Day Zero I'll be looking for, in order of

availability:

A Model B Raspberry Pi
An SD card with the "official OS"
A USB PSU

That should be enough to be getting on with!   Now its just a question of waiting....
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

walney

Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:23 pm

All I need is the Pi.

fbparker

Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:25 pm

I assume that the r-pi will come with a bootable SD card, right? If so, then the first thing I"ll do when I get it will be to use Clonezilla to back up the SD card so that when I manage to mess it up, I"ll be able to restore the original software load to it.

I plan to use my first r-pi headless. I"d like to be able to hook it up to the network and power it up and it will go and get an IP address by DHCP, and then I can ssh in to it. Is that the way it will work?

RaTTuS

Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:27 pm

fbparker said:

I assume that the r-pi will come with a bootable SD card, right? If so, then the first thing I"ll do when I get it will be to use Clonezilla to back up the SD card so that when I manage to mess it up, I"ll be able to restore the original software load to it.

I plan to use my first r-pi headless. I"d like to be able to hook it up to the network and power it up and it will go and get an IP address by DHCP, and then I can ssh in to it. Is that the way it will work?

no - not at 1st

you will be able to download the image though..

you may have to install openssh-server 1st  [possibly I don't know]
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

grumpyoldgit

Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:32 pm

RaTTuS said:

fbparker said:

no - not at 1st

you will be able to download the image though..

you may have to install openssh-server 1st  [possibly I don't know]

Are you sure? There are many postings that mention that distros on SD cards will be available with the Pi. The only debate was which flavour. Liz was discussing it yesterday.

RaTTuS

Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:49 pm

must admit I'm not 100% sure – however the price of $25 does not include an SD card
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Chromatix

Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:33 pm

Reading between the lines, it looks like the R-Pi people are planning to sell a suitable PSU and a pre-flashed SD card alongside the R-Pi.  That means both items are additional cost, but it means that people can get a complete "starter kit" in one go.

However, many people will probably be happy to buy just the R-Pi at the basic $25 or $35 cost.  That will be fine if they already have a suitable PSU (ie. an EU-standard mobile phone charger) and an SD card plus the wherewithal to flash it.

Either way, a keyboard/mouse and a display will also be needed.  I don't foresee the R-Pi people stocking those, as they are relatively bulky and there usually *are* spares of one kind or another floating around.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

SoloDev

Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:43 pm

So just to chime in here is the accessories that I have bought for the Pi...

All prices USD as how I am American...

Logitech Wireless USB Keyboard with on-off switch -- $35 (Bestbuy)

Microsoft Arc Mouse (original arc, not the flat one)  -- $40(Bustbuy)

4 port usb hub - $10 (Bustbuy)

Power supply - from last year's cellphone.

RCA (composite) and HDMI cable - $30 (Bestbuy)

8GB SD card - $20(Wal-mart)

So minus the power supply, i have spent enough to get 2 PasPi's!  I dont have a wifi dongle just yet, still looking for the one with the best "out-of-the-box" compatability...

and as secondary info, I run ArchLinux on my Laptop and Deskop, and all of the above mentioned hardware items run fine with out any drivers that i need to download.

Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:46 pm

hello , i have some price questions beacuse i am student so i count single euro . Shipping on stickers for my country outside uk inside EE  cost  something less than 3 euro. Shipping on model b will cost something less than 3 euro too ? And how much the pre-istalled linux SD card will approximately cost ?

thanks much, wait for answer

Return to “General discussion”