kme

Re: Introduce yourself!

Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:30 am

Zotlerg said:

I"m really concerned that some things have been missed, especially with the software initially available. The Apple store has 1500 apps added a day, and software is clearly the key.

The Linux distros for R-Pi comes with 20,000+ tested and verified programs available for download, not just crappy toy apps.

Prometheus

Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:31 am

Zotlerg said:

My name is Dave Hoskins. I wrote the BBC Speech program that many kids typed swear words into at school in the 80"s.

I remember a program called Stylus that I'm pretty sure used Speech! for its, well, speech. I found it amazing when I was a young'un.

Thanks very much for writing Speech!.

cholbi

Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:27 pm

Hello, I'm Josep Cholbi from Denia, Spain.
I'm very interested in you device and hope buy one as soon as possible
and hope a great success in this project.
I'm a windows user and mac and linux enthusiast.
We'll be in touch

gandalfk7

Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:23 pm

Hi! This is Matteo from Bologna, Italy.
I'm a System Administrator and I have been interested in products like
Raspi since I had the opportunity to try an emebedded arm board called Fox Board (LX versione, now discontinued).
The thing I always wanted was the ability to recieve and send outputs more friendly
than CLI only. Raspi has everything I should need to use the board for many uses, from
media to simple 24/7 server!

I'm waiting for the Raspi release!

cheers!

Matteo

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:06 pm

Zotlerg

I wrote the BBC Speech program that many kids typed swear words into at school in the 80"s.

kme

The Linux distros for R-Pi comes with 20,000+ tested and verified programs available for download, not just crappy toy apps.

It got me thinking. So I went to Sourceforge.Net, and into the search box I typed fart.

From over 100,000 projects, it reported two hits. And one of those was about Find And Replace Text. But, yes, Sourceforge does have a fart app. One. That's sort of impressive when you think about it.

mynamesforest

Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:08 pm

Hi I'm on the south cost of the UK and looking forward to the Raspberry Pi project.

I like many others grew up with the BBC Micro in my school, writing choose your own adventures in basic and plotting pictures in logo (although we never had the turtle in our school).

Nice to meet you all!

barry wiggins

Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:45 pm

erm I am kinda well outta the loop really...I used to be a technician, well self taught to repair the old BBC B  ( in 1984 ) computers and the odd electronic stuff...I still dabble with some stuff.  I wrote and sold a program to supply a tandy 4 pen printer plotter to an OLD Oric Atmos computer in BASIC and did a few other programs that worked BUT that way several decades ago...I have been unable to go further as I am unable to master the tecno stuff any longer BUT I do like to make things using materials and stuff...Im not a programmer BUT I love the idea of having this third world available and would love to see what I could do with one to pass it onto the far reaches...I am looking forward to it all and hoping I can UNDERSTAND it all...I am sure someone will HELP...!

Barry

steveb612

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:57 pm

Im Steve, network engineer from Minnesota, USA. Just saying Hi

I've been following the project for a little while now, and i'm really looking forward to getting my hands on a few of these.

eeyore

Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:11 pm

Hi I"m eeyore
I"m an engineer in the defense industry*, at the moment on aircraft may be soon on other tags. I"m a bit of a geek I love linux and have been using it for quite some time at home but have always fancied getting to know it better. I love my small computers and was gonna get a beagle board to play with but they were far too much £. Other geeky things I like are my iPhone* and iPad*.
My other hobby"s include, power kite flying, photography,Lego and quad copters.

*feel free not to try and troll me if you don"t like these. Seriously it"s gets boring.

starlesseye

Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:56 pm

I'm Paul, an old computer science teacher in high school Italian. I only know the BNFformalism and zx8o Sinclair computers
I'm waiting to buy a pair of raspberry pi, the greatest invention of the true millennium. I would like to know how to order the raspberry
greetings

krzyszp

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:07 pm

Hi,

I'm 36 old software developer in my own company. I'm also member of Radioactive@Home team and we provide our Geiger detector based (currently) on Attiny CPU.

I'm really excited about Raspberry Pi project and would like to buy few boards to my own tests and home use...

buffler

Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:24 am

Greetings to the Pi group. I'm a retiree from US Forest Service research, dabbling in micros for moonbounce amateur radio, amateur radio astronomy, and listening for little green men. My first board level computer was a KIM-1 6502 machine, and I've been beating my head on the SBC wall ever since.  Raspberry Pi is extremely exciting, as it is the first really low cost SBC machine with a Real Operating System. Can hardly wait to release the smoke monster; I'll probably buy 2 of them unless they are rationed. Then my grandson will get one of them Real Soon Now.

As a responsible adult American, I find it astounding that, except maybe for Parallax, the Brits, Aussies, Italians and Germans seem to be leading the use of SBC's for Just Goofing Around. . .

Don

MonitorMan

Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:43 am

Bruce Smith co-founder of Dabs and founder of BSB (Bruce Smith Book); former Technical Editor of Acorn User and Educational Computing.  Author of around 150 books – around half of which covered aspects of using home computers such as the BBC Micro, Electron, Archimedes, Amiga, Oric and Atmos.  The other titles relate to sport, one of the most recent being a history of Highbury (Arsenal Stadium).

Currently living in Sydney, Australia  and working on a number of projects which include a novel and a TV Series. The rest of the time reminding the locals where The Ashes reside.

Very excited by the R-Pi, rather reminding me of the day I first decided to buy an Atom and the enormous fun – not to mention lifestyle – that purchase generated.

Reminding all concerned that, in my past experience, it is as much the cheap or free software packages, as the great hardware that is the key to successes in the education market.  Happy to hear from anyone who might want input into R-Pi projects.

The MonitorMan moniker comes from my days on The Big Breakfast where I presented from within a monitor.

http://www.brucesmith.info
Raspberry Pi Assembly Language now available in book and eBook formats.
For details, go to www.brucesmith.info - examples and programming hints and tips.
Check out the Raspberry Pi Resources page on the website for more information.

n3tw0rk5

Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:25 am

MonitorMan said:

The MonitorMan moniker comes from my days on The Big Breakfast where I presented from within a monitor.

I remember that and the Software show!

starlesseye

Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:03 am

buffler said:

Greetings to the Pi group. I'm a retiree from US Forest Service research, dabbling in micros for moonbounce amateur radio, amateur radio astronomy, and listening for little green men. My first board level computer was a KIM-1 6502 machine, and I've been beating my head on the SBC wall ever since.  Raspberry Pi is extremely exciting, as it is the first really low cost SBC machine with a Real Operating System. Can hardly wait to release the smoke monster; I'll probably buy 2 of them unless they are rationed. Then my grandson will get one of them Real Soon Now.

As a responsible adult American, I find it astounding that, except maybe for Parallax, the Brits, Aussies, Italians and Germans seem to be leading the use of SBC's for Just Goofing Around. . .

Don

Hi Don,

My first board level computer was a Rockwell AIM65

meltwater

Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:17 am

Wiki Update:

The wiki has a new Visitor Book section, so feel free to add your comments, thoughts and links about the RPi there.

http://elinux.org/RPi_Visitor_Book

If you are a member of a School, University, Club or Group which have Raspberry interests, please add a link to your site in the Schools, Universities, Clubs & Groups section (currently building this page, but input and content is welcome).

http://elinux.org/Rpi_Education

It would be wonderful to see what people will be getting up to!

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

hyuecn

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:25 pm

Hello Pi-ers (if that's a word!)

I'm a PhD student living in London. I have no real experience of anything like the Pi but I've always wanted to learn and have something to tinker with. Can't get my hand on one to start learning!

best wishes,

Simon

wouter_vda

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:36 pm

Hey everyone!

My name is Wouter and I'm from Belgium. Looking forward to tinkering with the RPi when it becomes available. Been experimenting with Python lately, so RPi will be perfect to take that further. I'm also looking at using the RPi as a Media Center (via XBMC probably).

Professionally: I work for a big (international) advertising agency in Brussels. At the office, on of the things us online guys are really into is connectivity, controlling 'real' stuff from the internet.

We've actually got a project running now: http://www.fantheflame.be (don't want to push that, just an example of what we like doing). We've put a Mini Coutrymen on a slope, only tethered by a rope (and with the handbrake off . Users can light the flame under the rope. Make the rope pop = take the car home. Obviously, we'd love to use the RPi for this kind of stuff too.

Can't wait until I get my hands on a RPi

Wouter

corvus

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:47 pm

Hello everyone,

I am a student living in Czech Republic. I am a volunteer firemen, my interest is building decentralized fire protection systems at a reasonable price and I think that R-pi should be the last part of this jigsaw

ChaosSystems

Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:04 pm

Hi Everyone

My name is Richard and I am the MD of Chaos Systems Limited based in Cambridgeshire, bringing order to the chaos of applications development. I am a great believer of the chaos theory in particular the butterfly effect. I feel, like the butterfly, the introduction of the RPi will create a large ripple effect across the computing world and open new realms of innovation.

I come from a strong Java background and cannot wait to get an RPi to see what I can control. My first computer was a Commodore 64 and my first commercial application was written for a Commodore PET. My first computer job was a programmer for National Girobank PLC, where I had to produce hand written coding sheets that were turned into punch cards to load onto the mainframe!! Happy Days

I have to admit I'm a big fan of Arduino and I feel that the RPi willl compliment not replace Arduino. Arduino supplies the hardware and the RPi supplies the 'Artificial Intelligence'

I wish the team good luck with the launch later this month

mattb5

Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:56 pm

Hi all

My name is Matt and I have always been interested in learning more about computer hardware as well as programming. I graduated college with a business degree so now I am using my free time to learn programming and to learn more about the hardware side. Even though I am a beginner with hardware and software development I am a person who loves a challenge and I am willing to learn.

After finding out about R-Pi I was very excited because this seems like a good way to really learn about the implementation of computer software. I'm sure I will have questions and I thank all of you in advance for taking the time to answer them.

Energy80s

Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:53 pm

Hi, I'm Rodney and I live in Northern Ireland and work for the BBC.  Very interested in this Raspberry Pi project from a "streaming media player" angle, so looking forward to XBMC and possibly other audio and video apps being ported to the Pi.

Got so excited yesterday I nearly bought a Raspberry Trifle by mistake!!

tzj

Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:22 pm

hyz all, (bit late but oh well.)

Name"s chris, 24 and a yorkshireman (my profile should have more information but WordPress don"t like android for some reason...), online am known as "tzj" or "toranzufajinzu" if you wanna find me elsewhere.

I"ve been hacking (well, messing about with) electricals and computers since I was about 8 and over the years my interests have pretty much revolved around such things, even to the point of getting a B in my electronics gcse with an award for best in class.
should have done my A level in it but decided to generalise my engineering skills and did motor vehicle instead... now am doing electrical install...

Anyway... to the reason I want an r-pi.
I have a few projects in mind, and this is a very cheap solution for prototyping them, but I"ll probably start with basic IO exersises to get used to it, then ask for help on more advanced programming.

sorry for the length, but that"s a part of me in a nutshell.
http://www.themagpi.com <---- Checkout the MagPi
(The MagPi - Co-Founder)

Matthew Jones

Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:23 pm

Hi I'm Matthew

In my day job I am a system admin on the only Linux box in a Hospital.

In my spare time I am a Scout leader and Vicars Husband

Several of the scouts where enthusiastic when I told them about the Raspberry-pi. giving them something to experiment on would be cool. Even the IT badge has turned into a "Start excel and add up some numbers" Ha! had to use a GOSUB when I passed it as a lad

As a vicars husband I could see us setting up an internet cafe type thing, as the area we are in 70% don't have internet access, and guess what? to get on the council housing list you need internet access. use the compasite output to some old telly's and away we go.

Interesting times!

Bill Tong

Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:57 pm

Hi all, I am from London UK and quite old (61).

Been playing with electronics since I was 14 (thanks to Practical Electronics) Built loads of stuff from the mag including their sensesing robot car - took ages...lol.

Started with ZX80, ZX81, Spectrum, Spectrum 48k, Amiga 600, Amiga 1200 (HD - wow), fell into the blur of x86 stuff, currently own about 6 PC's, Laptop, couple of NAS drives - used for streaming and downloading P to P stuff, works a treat. Have played with some linux systems, Unix systems - but no expert.

At work before I retired at 60, I was running a few MS (yawn) networks, Tandem mainframes and other mainframes.

Really looking forward to getting my hands on a Pi to take me back to the days when you could actually do things with a PC!

Return to “General discussion”