colinwsh

Re: Introduce yourself!

Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:59 pm

I'm Colin. Always had an interest in Computers since I was young.

Had an Amiga and Commodore 64 while I was young and it just grew from there and absolutely love sitting down and just learning what a system can do. In college doing a course in Computer Security & Digital Forensics which despite its name has a serious lack of digital forensics and computer security!

Got lost for a few years working in a bookies which I suppose does happen from time to time with people but then sort of found myself by doing IT for a satellite company helping them with the new settop boxes that run a version of linux known as Enigma which is always fun.

Been waiting for years for something to really amaze me and just make me stand back and go thats where my true passion was hiding. For me thats the RaspberryPi I think people have forgotten what computers are about with smartphones and apps and all that.

Got a few ideas for what I could do with the RaspberryPi. I trully hope it is as popular as it seems to be not just for us but for the people who have given themselves to the project. It would be so great for some sort of good news like this for the kids especially that might not be able to buy the equipment needed for a laptop or PC.

I look forward to the release with reall excitement.

smorgo

Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:13 pm

'owdo!

My name's Steve and, seemingly like many others here, I've been immersed in computer technology since before the dawn of the home computer revolution.

I used most of the mainstream office and home machines of the late '70s, early '80s; soldered components onto a bare ZX80 motherboard and designed (and part constructed) a modular 6502-based machine. But it was the introduction of the BBC Micro that turned it from a hobby into an obsession.

I've designed parts of the some of the biggest software systems in the world and worked for a while on ICL's mainframe operating system.

Now, I design and deliver projects for Windows and, more lately, Windows Azure.

I'm surrounded by tech day in and day out and I love it

IDE

Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:18 am

I'm Marc. I'm a computer engineer developing software solutions for small/medium businesses in Ottawa Canada. I've been using Open Source technologies for about 16 years.

Massive respect to the Rasperry Pi team for their commitment towards the Open Source community. I very look forward getting my hands busy with the boards as they come out.

piercee100

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:47 am

Hiya peeps!   I'm James and think the idea behind this project is fantastic.   I was one of those pupils at school who chose not to take part in our schools ICT lessons (circa 1995) due to the fact that I could already use Microsoft Word and didnt want a typing certificate! At home I was a computer whore owning every system I could get my hands on which probobly explains why I still own 50+ vintage computer systems today.

I have 3 curious children under 11 who think I'm a bit crazy with my computer collection sprawled out across two rooms and love my projects but sadly have little understanding of how these things work and sometimes the effort involved. I'm looking forward to the Pi as an eductaional tool and giving my children the head start they are certainly going to need in the future.

Great work so far guys, keep it up!

MagnumPi

Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:15 am

Hi Everyone,

I got into programming on the BBC Micro after being inspired be Elite.  I run my own software business now, so it must have been a good start.

I hope that the raspberryPi does the same for a whole new load of kids.  It is about time they had something which does not have a monthly subscription to get excited about.

Best of luck with the project.  They will be playing a role in my business and I will be buying them and contributing to the wider community where I can.

markyd

Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:56 am

Hello, I have been messing with computers since the ZX81 and now its my career to, networks mostly and Linux so the Raspberry Pi has me excited from a nostalgia perspective and a functionality perspective (oh what can I do with it ...  router .. DHCP/DNS server ... mmmm ) I am proud that the project is British and a a little saddened that it can't be made here. If anyone has the PM's ear then he needs to be made aware of the bizarre tax regime (see Liz's post today) because we need manufacturing jobs as well as design jobs for all those for whatever reason do not make the grade educationally. All the best, MarkyD

och

Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:40 pm

My first computer was a ZX81 and I've been hooked ever since. I started programming those early personal computers in BASIC and hand assembling machine code. The curiosity they raised and the satisfaction from creating something are things I believe every young person should have the opportunity of experiencing so the Pi seems such a fantastic idea.

I went on to study computer science at university and I'm now the UK CTO for a large IT services company.

smorgo

Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:21 pm

I went on to study computer science at university and I"m now the UK CTO for a large IT services company.

I"ll pretend not to know you…

Elqhawaq

Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:08 pm

Aloha, from Italy !!!

I'm active in Information technology area since 1986. At first i was a computer programmer for the main microprocessor assembler of era as the Zilog Z80 and the Motorola 68000.
Following my natural tendency towards the area of operating systems I have developed my knowledge in this field specializing in the area of ??network administration and in writing device drivers both for UNIX and derivatives and Microsoft operating systems.
I act as free lance since 1991 with the title of Systems Engineer / System Programmer and I had worked in many organizations of primary level, both national as international.
Among commercial products that I realized there are systems for industrial telemetry / telecontrol,device drivers for various hardware, security systems for networks such as enterprise-class firewall systems, video surveillance and electronic surveillance devices.
I'm very glad to know that things like Raspberrypi are now for real ... seems to be the perfect companions for my telemetrics devices actually based on ARM ( Foxboard ) !!
I hope mass production started ASAP ....
Linux Counted user #337505 since : 2003-11-26

loz

Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:18 pm

Hi,

I'm Loz from France (excuse my poor writing, and be thankful not to hear my terrible accent).

I was Linux sysadmin in a previous life (a few years ago), I'm now photography teacher and bicycle messenger

I want to get my (static) website home hosted to keep control on my data. I'd like a few other services like blog, DHCP, jabber, DNS, maybe some mail, Etherpad, Papillon, etc., we'll see what R-Pi can take.

Best regards,

Loz
Model B 256 Web Server Raspbian/NGinx/Prosody : http://photo-grenoble.com/

och

Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:32 pm

smorgo said:

I went on to study computer science at university and I"m now the UK CTO for a large IT services company.

I"ll pretend not to know you…

and I didn't even include a picture

clem

Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:09 pm

Hi,

I'm clem from france, like "loz" excuse my poor english.

I'm an IT student who follow this project for a while. I can write applications in lot of languages like C,C#, JAVA, PHP (Just a little) etc...

Last year i was in a class for "sysadmin" so i have also some competences on Linux(Debian, Fedora, Centos, etc.)

I'm here because i think it's a beautiful project and it could be useful for education as eben wants.

I think it could be a good project to try to port "Google TV" to Raspberry Pi, so we could be able to have a connected TV for only 25 $.

Best Regards,

Clem.

Caliber Mengsk

Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:25 pm

New guy here!

I'm always interested in new and cheap tech. This seems like an amazing and super cheap kind of technology. It's so great cause it's so small. Right now I use an Arduino for all my geek gadgetery, but this may fill in that spot in my heart, we'll see. I have plans for this thing.

I have two ideas for a basic project, Fitting one of these in a keyboard (probably won't be all that hard) even allowing the built in USB ports of the keyboard to be used, battery included. Second idea, fitting it all into a mouse, battery included.

May be an ambitious goal for the mouse computer, but it'd be spiffy if it were done... Not really on the practical standpoint (no keyboard) but maybe turn it into a portable video player for hdmi displays.

Just a few ideas I have for them. Either way, I'll be buying one for certain, very shortly after it's for sale... O-o unless it gets sold out before I buy one.

Either way, cool tech, and I'm interested.

abacus1983

Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:04 pm

Hello to all thy neighbours, i have a huge addiction to my iPhone, ipad and Dual screen PC's, i love nothing more than sitting down to After Effects on one monitor whilst sifting through many forums and sites on the other, i have made 2012 the year for me to fully learn Java so wish me luck.

I am part of a hopefully up and coming Independant film crew RedRybbonFilms.

I cannot be more pleased with the release of the PI, get it into every school is all i can say and get rid of this dodgy ICT, who on earth wants to learn powerpoint and excel, bring back the good old days when learning to use a computer required brain power.

anyways thats me i am glad to meet you and really really really cant wait to get one of these beautys, it will become my new BFF

LINUX to rule the world

MINKIN2

Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:11 am

Hello everyone my name is Lee

Please excuse my English, you can blame the British State Education for that one, lol

I'm now 33 working in support for Pharmaceutical Dispensary systems (windows),  Unix based EPOS systems. In my previous carrier I trained as an apprentice engineer where amongst many other things we covered bespoke tool fabrication from technical diagrams and CAD. I have been into computers since my family got our first C64 really cheap in the video games crash of the 80's and have been an avid collector of vintage video games consoles and home computers for 15years now.

In my personal computing interests have covered many areas through linux, windows, embedded systems, game creation, 3D modelling, graphic design… I could go on but lets say I draw the line at excel. If anything, I lack focus.

I stumbled upon the R-Pi 6months ago and have been lurking the boards since. These type of systems have fascinated me for a some time now, in fact I come in peace from the N900s talk.maemo forums which is a spiritual cousin to the beagle board devices, you have a lot of fans over there.

Hope this project takes off in the way we all hope it will. Good Luck to all involved and please take my money when they go on sale.

halriasa

Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:13 am

Hi,

iam Micha aka Halriasa.

Iam one of the spacepirates of the opensim platform developing soft/hardware.

Holland is the country i live in and i own a laundry factory.

People say i should sell my inventions, but most projects came from opensourcing, thats hard to explain to them what it means.

Arduino is one of my favorite boards to expiriment with, and the raspberry looks like a gift of above to me, IF its doing what i expect to do i would start my project called

-= GRIDCUBE =-

this cube powered by raspberry will run an opensim server, cheap and reliable for everyone.

Hello all !

Steve Emms

Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:59 am

I've been monitoring the situation regarding the Raspberry Pi as soon as it was announced, and it is now getting very exciting bearing in mind that we are so close to be able to order one.

We will be featuring the Raspberry Pi extensively on our website, LinuxLinks.com, http://www.linuxlinks.com/ and writing some articles shortly.

Steve
LinuxLinks.com

michael.p.ellis@ntlworld.com

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:50 am

I'm Michael, a solar system voyager currently on my 50th circumnavigation of the sun. I currently occupy a small cabin located in the Cherry Hinton quarter of Cambridge on the large blue/green craft called Earth.

Once upon a time I worked at ARM in the AR&D group, seconded to a Unison project championing technologies for the Office of the Future (affectionately to become known as the Orifice of the Future). There I cut my teeth on some ARM assembler and sending voice and video around the Cambridge Fast Ring.

I now run a small company Digital Scientific UK, that supplies medical imaging and karyotyping systems.

I have two babies, who somehow in the time it took me to blink have reached 21 and 18. The eldest is at my old university (Kent) reading  philosophy, the youngest at Hills 6th Form and aiming for Maths and Business studies as Nottingham.

My son, something of a Luddite, discovered my K&R C by the side of my bed (one of my three comfort blanket reads) and fell in love with it. This has drawn him into computing from the bottom up and he has found a whole new appreciation of what goes on when you press send on that email with the animated spreadsheet attachment. In his spare time he's currently playing with ruby for simple coms apps (who'd have thought). Also turns out that things like processes, software, hardware, languages and other computing ideas serve well as illustrative models for some of his philosophical ponderings.

I was excited when I first heard about Raspberry Pi and have joined this forum to see where it goes. I am a passionate believer in the value of education. Raspis will run on 5 volts and imagination, and placing them into that hands of children will do more for computing skills than the ITC classes I see being run in schools now.

bulldog

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:49 pm

Hi I am Mike from Liverpool in the UK.  I am a secondary school teacher of ICT.

Programming was a hobby of mine as a school boy in BBC basic, then 68k assembly, I went to university and qualified as a software engineer learning C, C++, then I was employed in industry writing large systems mainly in 4GLs, then I became a manager and boredom and a wish to do more meant that 10 years ago I went and qualified as an ICT teacher. Since then I have been fairly frustrated at the quality of the curriculm. I have become a dullard at home which is ieverything - I am writing this on a macbook, I am addicted to my iphone and streaming to my apple tv. I must admit I had lost my hobbiest attitude to computers and this has got my attention in a big way. Programming is fun and addictive. The only thing I have done of any interest has been teaching extra curricular robotics. I am interested in trying to use the device for this and for the basis of a carputer.

ackland.r

Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:00 pm

Hi.. My name is Richard Ackland and I am a secondary school teacher. I am currently head of Computer Science and E-learning at Aylesford School in Warwick and my aim is to spice up the rejuvenate the ICT curriculum in to something amazing.

Looking at the post above mine from Mike in Liverpool, apart from the degree course (mine is in Biology), my life mirrors his exactly.!!

hsoftdev17

Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:51 pm

Hey everyone, I'm Dave.  A software engineer by trade, a geek by hobby, and an avid computer/gadget fanboy.  I've been collecting my parts for the final release of the Raspberry Pi, and aside from something resembling a case to put it in, I should be all set now.  Here's my list so far:

* Raspberry Pi [Model B]                    (Purchased, $??.?? Item, $??.?? Shipping)

- 10ft HDMI Cable                              (Purchased, $2.82 Item, $0.00 Shipping)
- 10ft USB to Micro B USB Cable          (Purchased, $0.99 Item, $5.99 Shipping)
- 4 Port USB Hub [unpowered]            (Purchased, $6.69 Item, $8.09 Shipping)
- USB Keyboard                                 (Purchased, $7.99 Item, $5.60 Shipping)
- 16GB SDHC Card [45MB/s]               (Purchased, $45.99 Item, $3.99 Shipping)
- USB Charger [1 Amp]                      (HTC Phone Charger.  No cost.)
- USB Optical Mouse                           (Owned for years.  No cost.)
- Monitor (TV)                                   (My TV.  No cost.)
Obviously I won't know my total cost until the R-Pi is actually available and on its way to me, but it looks like I'm going to end up somewhere in the ballpark of $130 or so depending on final shipping costs for the R-Pi itself.  :)  
Very excited.

scep

Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:09 am

ackland.r said:

Hi.. My name is Richard Ackland and I am a secondary school teacher. I am currently head of Computer Science and E-learning at Aylesford School in Warwick and my aim is to spice up the rejuvenate the ICT curriculum in to something amazing.

Looking at the post above mine from Mike in Liverpool, apart from the degree course (mine is in Biology), my life mirrors his exactly.!!

Me: biologist; ICT/Computing teacher/grew up in Liverpool  - it's like some crazy trilobed Venn diagram

Jack Slinger

Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:48 pm

Hi, I'm jack.

I'm studying computer science at A-Level and am hoping to go on to do software engineering at university. So far I've done some software stuff (VB C++ C#) but not much hardware, so I'm looking forward to a bit of tinkering with the RP.

hazem

Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:23 pm

Hi, this is Hazem, i am an Electronics engineer, i have studied in Damascus univercity ,

i have a small company in syria, we are the destributors of OLYMPUS digital camera in syria, we also have a smal factroy for LCD TV, please visit our website http://www.bayan-photo.com

i am very interested in the Raspberry Pi, i have read about it in google news, and since that time i am tracking it

the reason why i am unterested in it because it reminds me of the SINCLAIR ZX Spectrum computer, it was the first comouter i Own in my life , i was 10 years old kid, and that computer was the reason that i learned coputing, and reason why i became an engineer, and the reason of my success, it was a 150$ computer , it was cheep and easy to be owned , it was amazing, i wish that Raspberry Pi will be the new miracle for  the new century

Zotlerg

Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:13 am

My name is Dave Hoskins. I wrote the BBC Speech program that many kids typed swear words into at school in the 80"s.
I"m really concerned that some things have been missed, especially with the software initially available. The Apple store has 1500 apps added a day, and software is clearly the key.
This cheap computer must boot up in BASIC instantly to get the immediacy involved in the fun of computing.
Cheers,
Dave.

Return to “General discussion”