JustThisGuy

Re: Introduce yourself!

Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:57 pm

Hi,

I'm Duane, a Californian immigrant from Ohio and an exile (since the 2001 implosion) from Silicon Valley. I guess I'm just one of those (old) pro hobbyist. Been playing with home computers since my first National Semi SC/MP. Worked at IMSAI for the few years they existed and have done both hardware support and software design.

I'm looking forward to making a RasPi into my carry along computer. (laptops are way too big) In anticipation I bought a (cheap, small) powered USB hub, a WiFi dongle and a composite video pico-projector. Except for a decent battery pack I'm ready to plug into and walk around with some Pi. What with the various wall warts, fairly small keyboard and mouse and a HDMI/DVI cable lying around the house I'm setup for home use too.
Any conversation about a sufficiently complex subject is indistinguishable from babble.

Cerberus

Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:32 am

Im Billy, Web Designer, and general all round computer geek from Aberdeen. still have a large collection of retro computers from the 16 and 8 bit eras, C64, CPC464, Amigas, Archimedes, and Atari ST and the raspberry pi is ideal to whet my appetite to get back to bedroom programming. i have worked as part of large collaborative teams, but truth be told, i hanker for the simpler days of cheap, simple (relatively speaking) days of bedroom programmers and one man projects. i am interested primarily in the option of running emulation software on the pi, and riscOS. allowing me to relive the geeky side of my youth without having to haul out a load of old hardware, or using emulators on my work macs and pc's. a nice cheap dedicated hobby box to play with.. ideal.

l3bowsk1

Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:14 am

I'm Brian.  I work in operations, with a global security software firm, and I live near Portland, OR, USA.  I don't have much programming or dev experience or anything, but I'm very interested in the R-Pi platform from a hardware perspective, as I've been around computers all my life, from the old TRS-80 that I used to program to scroll dirty words on my TV as a kid, to the quad-core system I built that's humming softly along underneath my desk right now.

Aside from being an inveterate tinkerer of PC's, I'm fascinated by inexpensive, small form-factor, low power systems, and their potential to enhance daily life.  And this is just thinking strictly from a "first-world-problems" perspective, like home automation, networking, or putting a PC in an acoustic guitar just because I can - the potential impact a project like R-Pi can have in developing nations is simply staggering.  Imagine if, for less than the cost of a school uniform, you could provide children in economically deprived areas the ability to become technologically literate.

Think about the impact social media had on Arab Spring, and multiply it by a hundredfold - this could very well be a game-changer.

So I'll definitely be getting one or a few when they go to production, using them to build print servers, XBMC systems, and the like, if only to do my part to help R-Pi along to a brighter future.

duncangareth

Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:42 am

Greetings!

I am very excited by this project. It has huge potential in the relatively poverty-stricken community which surrounds me. The young people have an intense desire to become "connected" but they are subject to the misconceptions regarding computing which are fostered by the Microsoft oriented school curriculum and the flood of FUD with which the minions of the neocolonialist spyware vendors bombard them.

I have been involved with UNIX and Linux for many years and I should be very happy to assist with the raspberry pi project in any way I can.

best regards

Duncan

jamieuk

Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:08 pm

Hi everyone!

Can't wait to get my hands on the R-Pi. Spent my life tinkering with computers and electronics. Still miss programming the retro 8 and 16-bit computers. This project has got me interested again.

Are there any board schematics available that show where all the interfaces are (with dimensions) in pdf? Wanna build a case for it while I'm waiting for it to be manufactured lol

Happy new year

Jamie

Mushroom_Lord

Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:33 pm

I'm a teenager, and intend to use the 'Pi for my main Pc, as my x86 celeron machine is 6 years old and it's graphics card 8 (nvida geforce fx 5200 I primarily use Ubuntu on it at the moment, and intend to use debian on the Pi (assuming I can get gnome working )

Only hiccup in this plan is the new monitor my parents got me for xmas, is VGA only. And this is the digital age. People these days (and we have no HD tv )

We really need poll options on this forum so we can get a direct graphic of how old everyone is, a little bit about them, what they do and what their plan for the R-Pi is

Either that or we find some other good poll site. Facebook's "question" system seems quite a good way of doing this.

grumpyoldgit

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:00 pm

Are you really sure it only has VGA input?

pythagoras

Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:41 pm

Hi all,

John Wilkinson here. Entering the second half of my century . I teach Maths at a High School in Wigan. I havnt been this enthused by a piece of technology since the iPhone launch. My plan is to learn programming on the raspberry pi and then teach an after school club from September on coding using a few of these.

regards

John

hardwaremack

Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:04 pm

hey everyone!

I think you've realized how price emotional people are,  $25A, $35B is a great start!  I feel the excitement comes from not only the price, but the creativity that has people ready to play!    The applications where this could be applied are unlimited!

I do have a suggestion however, i think it would be more aesthetically pleasing if all the I/O ports were on one side, even if it makes the over all dimension bigger,  Take a look at the simplistic designs of some apple products, as example.

Ultimately it all comes down to nickels and dimes, regardless, for now, go aggressively with what you have, your built it, and they are coming!

Haifisch

Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:35 am

Hello, I'm haifisch. I'm from the Netherlands and I'm a Rammstein fan.

Excuse me for my bad English, I'm not that good at it.

My hobby's are playing (bass)guitar and hanging out with friends.

I really love science and tech stuff, but I'm not that good at it. I try to learn it by browsing on the internet every night.

I love the Raspberry project. If I'd found out earlier about it I would be the longest registered person on this forum I think.

Some wierd stuff about me:

I own 3 rat snakes

I would love to have a scorpion and a hunting bird.

I have a scrapbook next too my bed to write weird idea's in.

I had some things in it about the PI:

A smart TV

a really cheap Chromebook (I own a Samsung Chromebook)

PI's hooked up to the tv's at the local hospital (every patient has a TV and internet cable, but there are no computers)

PI's in the homeless shelters (i don't know if this is the right term in English) so they can apply for jobs online

I hope you all have a nice day,

Greetings,

Haifisch

n3tw0rk5

Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:23 am

Hi, I'm George,

I'll be totally honest i've avoided programming like the plague, I never could get my head round it or found it particularly interesting.

Allthough I have done Unix support for far too many moons, so i'm more than happy with working by command line.

As a parent I want to help my 8 year old son learn programming, while inturn finally teaching myself, I think the RasPi will be perfect for this due to it's size and also it's flexibilty of what it can be linked up to down the line.

Personally i cant wait to get a RasPi cluster up n running and see what uses i can find for it in my business

All the best to the RasPi team.

tufty

Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:36 am

Haifisch said:

Excuse me for my bad English, I'm not that good at it.

Your written English is fine.  Better than many native speakers can manage, to be honest.

PI's in the homeless shelters (i don't know if this is the right term in English) so they can apply for jobs online

That's nice, computing with a real social touch.  There's a load of other things that would need to happen in line with it, but it's a bloody good idea and one worth working on.

Simon

Kick

Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:05 pm

Hi everybody, I'm Kick and also from The Netherlands. And I also happen to be a Rammstein fan as Haifisch.

I learned about RPi through a friend who mentioned the project some 6 months ago and since then I am following this project and as the rest here, eager to buy one (or more!).

Keep up the good work guys and dolls!

Greetz! Kick

purpledarkness

Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:43 pm

Haifisch and Kick, where are you both from exactly? I'm hailing from the south, near Maastricht..

Haifisch

Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:55 pm

purpledarkness said:

Haifisch and Kick, where are you both from exactly? I'm hailing from the south, near Maastricht..

Limbo party olé!

I'm from Neerbeek near Geleen

Kick

Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:57 pm

I'm living in Amsterdam on the Kasper Ohm which is actually an old coaster from the former DDR.

I live there together with my wife and our 3 ferrets and we really love it here. It can be a little harsh during wintertime but when spring comes along and the hot summersun is burning the ship we love it!

Themanhunt

Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:16 pm

Hi, I'm Chris. I'm 15 and am interested in software development, computer hardware and gaming. I played my first video game when I was 4 and  started programming when I was 8 or 9. I used to reverse engineer online games before it became a dead end. I've recently took up computer hardware and built my own computer last year and find it much better than programming. I am looking forward to the R-Pi because it is an opportunity to advance my knowledge of computer hardware, without risking my computer. I hope that the R-Pi will bring programming into schools. I am fed up of working with word and the likes.

The thing that annoys me most is having an interest, but not having the opportunities.

white74

Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:11 pm

Sorry I got my order of posts mixed up 1st introduce then post oops

late intro

I have been working with computers since the early 8086 gen processors

started on nix based in 92

currently using deb based os 2.5 kernel compiled from git to support some unusual serial devices mostly rs 422 and 485

late concept outline

my idea is to build a fully functional marine navigation computer dock-able on-board, in car, or desktop

dock would contain several rs 422 ports, display, USB, WiFi, LAN, keyboard and mouse

OS based on navigatrix with

wximg - weather fax

open cpn - chart plotter

muplex - software nmea 0183 multiplexer

osd depth - depth data on screen

zygrib - grib data for weather wind and wave details

packet modem support

skype?

midori web browser

email client

cw key for vhf/hf radio

ais

autopilot

standard compliment of marine instrument displays

anything else I've left out?

ailwyn

Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:21 pm

Hi

I'm Ailwyn, based in the UK.

I've tinkered with a lot of technology topics, from Java programming to creating some simple uC based instrumentation for the car, but never really got into anything large or complex due to time constraints, fragmented documentation, and a lack of direction (motivation + ambition).

Hopefully the RPi will eventually become a coherent package which can explain and demonstrate in an easy to digest manner how it all hangs together.

I am particularly interested in taking a look at games programming and the way the linux kernel drivers work. Should there be any time left over, a bit of low level (Assy) programming.

JeTJL

Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:54 am

Heyo!

My name is Joshua Padilla-Finez, age 17.

From the States, how is it across the pond? To the peeps in Europe!

I'm also a Server Admin for my Clan's Team Fortress 2 server. The Weekdayz!

I don't know much in the way of programming but I want to learn more. I only started getting interested in computer when I was only 13. When I upgraded a old (To me) Emachines Celeron Computer running Windows XP, and then subsequently took it apart and couldn't put back together again.

As of now I have two computers. A hexa-core gaming/rendering rig and a new Amd Llano Laptop, I may not have the experience of playing around with a Comrodore 64.

I would like to play around with the Raspberry Pi very soon. I'm going to make a laptop out of a Pizza box and the Raspberry Pi. Might put the Raspberry Pi logo on the box if you guys don't mind.

brian_reiter

Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:23 pm

Hi I'm Brian,

I've been involved with computers for around 30 years now (ouch!), starting as a teen with the original wave of UK based home computers.

Over the years I've worked in a variety of languages from 6502 to Fortran, Bliss and C++ under a variety of architectures (single board computers, SPARC, Intel, VAX, Alpha etc.).My day job os spent designing systems for OpenVMS.

The Raspberry-PI seems like the kind of machine which should have been implemented years ago.

ChrisProls

Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:34 pm

Hi,

I'm Christophe, from France.
I'm really enthousiastic about getting my hands on a couple of R-Pi. I've started a little bit thinkering with Arduino and look forward using R-Pi in many different ways.

Not to many feature request except more functionnalities : wireless (WiFi, bluetooth, ANT+, ...), sensors, extension boards.

Hopefully I can get at least one from the first batch
(let's seen how the buy one give one can work-out as well !)

DBloke

Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:32 am

Posted a thread of introduction as I didnt see this one so here it is copy pasted
Greetings all

I am Mike "DBloke" "DPrinny" Dixon

What brings me here is a thurst for knowlage on stuff I dont know. Mostly about Linux as I know little about it.

Been interested in the Raspberry Pi since it was announced as I have plans for it and its price and size are perfect (one is to give new life to a dead ZX Spectrum)

Things of interest.

I have a kinda rubbish site called New Tabs

I run a games night down a pub in Manchester (Facebook Lass Computer Club or the mini site on mine for more details) Thats in The award wining Lass o" Gowrie on the second Fridays and last Tuesdays

We also have a Homebrew gaming geekend planed for the 27th-29th January

http://homebrewgaming.co.uk/

Its to bad we wont have one of these boards to help plug there as we tend to get a few people that program games (and some that are Atari Jaguar coders).

wardy

Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:50 am

I'm Andy and based in the UK.

I have tinkered will all manner of hardware from Z80/6502's to modern day cpu's.. As a hobby I have been known to try out the likes of xCore + Pic dev boards.

I am looking forward to using the PI, not so much because I have great plans for it, but because I can use it to help my children learn.. They're rather keen to.

I work in computer forensics, primarily as a developer (i'll go hide under a rock having read some of your hacker day posts )

Dazzler

Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:27 am

Hello there, another BBC reader here, saw the thread on the BBC website and was very impressed with the project and well done to all who have helped and developed it to the point where we can almost get one.

I'm based in the centre of Saudi Arabia in Riyadh.  It's been 18 years since I did programming in Pascal for my Aeronautical Engineering course but I've always liked technical things.

I hope to learn some coding again through http://www.CodeCademy.com my main interest will be getting a computer to do more than just display something, interested in the I/O options (as well as maybe MAME/media playing).  I'll unfortunately be piggy-backing on the work of others like Gert and anyone who develops applications but will do it to further my knowledge.

Best of luck to those that will use it in schools, I once worked briefly on a Smart Schools project, interactive whiteboards, computer CAD to production and can see how these little Raspberry Pis will be very useful to kids.

Best wishes

Gavin

Return to “General discussion”