kevington

Re: STICKY: Introduce yourself!

Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:11 am

I am Kevington, a denizen of Australia. Background is Physics, Elec Eng, IT, amateur radio. Ham radio homebrewer and kit assembler. Now like to mess around with micro computers. Just set up my Pi 4B. Lots of fun for an old man. Greetings to all. :P

Alex_ru

Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:46 pm

I am Alex, from Moscow, Russian Federation. I want to make a test web server from Raspberry Pi 4 4GB, because it’s cheaper than buying a standard server.

dpenny

Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:06 pm

Hi to all, I too am new to all this Rpi stuff. I have a pretty decent techie background given that I never did it for a living, but I did live in Silicon Valley for 40+ years.

My goal is to build a music player/server. All the 3 & 4 letter acronyms for the components and software pieces are most confusing, e.g. I never heard the word "distro" before but of course I understand what the distribution of a software release is - uggg.

Anyway....

Does anyone know how to reach Luigi Kella who made a post to this forum in Sept 2019? I ask cuz he is in Eugene, OR and so am I. Clicking on his "contact" does not work.

BenRandomNameHere

Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:42 pm

I somehow missed posting an introduction!

My name is Benjamin and I am a fairly new Pi enthusiast. I have a degree in electronics and picked up a Pi4B to use as a desktop replacement. I have been feverishly attempting to set this up to replace an aging netbook (only 2gigs of RAM; Microsoft seems intent on killing off the usefullness of a machine with only 2Gigs of RAM) I use outside in the heat and humidity of the SouthEast US.

I am also and Android enthusiast, and used to be quite active when Google+ was still a thing.

Hope to get to know some of y'all and make some new friends here.

PhilR100742

Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:46 am

Helli, I am Phil. I am very new to Raspberry Pi, so have a great deal to learn. Any help would be gratefully received.

My current interest is in using a MCP4725 DAC with LCD.

Mark_F

Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:55 am

I suppose I really should get around to introducing myself. I'm Mark with a pretty new Pi 4 4GB with a Pi 4 1GB on the way. I'm now retired after about ten years in the employment / welfare sector. Before that I spent about 25 years in the IT industry as a systems and network admin with a variety of OS's - IBM MVS/JES2, OpenVMS on VAX and Alpha, various breeds of UNIX, various distros of Linux (mostly Slackware which is my favourite as well as Red Hat. A bit of SuSe and Debian snuck in there too. As a system admin my programming expertise" extends to assembler and C "hacks" - why spend five minutes fixing a problem when you can spend a few hours automating and solution in case it happens again...:-)
Now that we're retired we constantly wonder how the hell we had time to work...:-)

I'm also a Radio Amateur (HAM) - VK3KW and VK3ZMF.

The current Pi is used as a web server ( http://jandmf.com, a "set top box" with a Pi TV hat and a movie / video / whatever player via VLC. I also keep messing things up because I like to "tinker". The new Pi 4, when it arrives, will be my "tinker" box as well as my HAM radio box for logging and digital modes. Once I get that working I'll probably need another Pi as a "tinker" box...:-)
Anyway, have a quick look at my web site - it's a wordpress site and has a bit of Pi stuff as well as some of our travel stuff and a bit of HAM radio stuff.
Anyway, that's more than enough from me.

Cheers,
Mark F...
Mark F
http://jandmf.com
Vk3KW / VK3ZMF

GregoryC

Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:58 pm

Hi all. Nice to be a part of this community!

ValerieDropKick

Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:13 pm

Hi! Having a lot of fun so far learning about the Pi! Glad to be here! Can't wait to learn from the community and share too!

petimaci

Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:34 pm

Hello all, I'm interested in Raspberry Pi mainly to do with Azure IoT Edge and BLE.

I continue to be amazed with how versatile the device really is.

maxipower

Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:33 pm

Hello everyone from Portugal...

Kylo312

Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:24 am

Heyyy!!! Everyone!!!!
I'm newbie here..Welcome me :)

hableiderkeinen

Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:27 am

Hi, my Name is Jan i'a from Solingen/Germany and have an Rasbpi 4 4GB.

judithfertig

Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:27 am

Hi all, I'm Judith Fertig from Kansas City, US.

I'm python, java, c++, php developer. Python is my best.

I'm also a chef. I own a blog about BBQ: https://www.bbqqueens.com/. I usually use pellet smoker to cook food.

I am new to the pi but interested as everything on it is or seems to be open source and adjustable.

Thank you for making me a part of this great community,
Last edited by judithfertig on Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stjohn909

Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:31 pm

Hi all!

I'm John from Los Angeles, and I'm reeeeeally late to the Pi party, which is odd considering the careers, interests and hobbies I've acquired over the years. This sums up the most recent and significant.
  • Aviation/homebuilt aircraft
  • Electronic music and digital audio production
  • Game Development R&D (Unity/Unreal)
  • Virtual and Augmented Reality
  • 3D CGI/VFX
And now, SBC/SoC's for the general process of interacting with data and systems in more tangible, physical, and spatial ways. The first two I do for fun, the last 3 are what pay the bills. That thing about homebuilt aircraft is no joke, I actually built one, and you can see it here:
https://stjohn.openbar.com and that's where I gained the bulk of my fabrication and electrical/electronics skills.

My RPi "Hello World" was standing up the PiDeck distro and hacking the configs to flip the LCD.
Current project is a Pi-4 based Audio/DSP module so I don't have to spend $500 on an Empress Zoia or similar multi-fx stompbox.

Hope I can share some useful knowledge someday.

Cheers!

Fire26662

Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:22 pm

Hi I'm Kevin, but everyone calls me Angus or Fire (long boring stories)
My background is automotive engineering, and I have had the pleasure of repairing everything from lawnmowers to industrial gas generators
Anyhow, I am not exactly a computer newbie, but I am a pi newbie. So basically I am looking for ideas and some hand holding :)
I recently retired due to ill health and a severe case of lazy boneitis, so looking to fill the long winter months, without getting myself into too much trouble.
Best regards. Fire.

PDP8

Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:32 am

Hi everyone - Brian here. Thought I'd say hello!

I've had a few pi's over the years, along with using the RPD Debian X86 desktop on a few machines and love it. Time to show appreciation for them both by saying so finally in public.

I'm mostly an end user that enjoys using them, even if I'm not the world's best programmer. I come from the 1979'ish time that I *still* enjoy the wonders of Unix in the raw form of terminal usage - bash, sed, awk, grep, pipes and all that. Heh, not that I'm good at it, but still blown away by it.

Had a great time reading Brian Kernighan's latest book - UNIX A History and a Memoir - with get this: a comfy chair and a good backlight! That's the age I come from. :lol:

The Pi's and the X86 desktop are just wonderful - thanks to all who bring it to us, and of course all those in the community that make it what it is!

Eurynomos

Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:15 am

Fighting gamer and arcade retro and new pc one...wish to make my personal handheld

CaptainMidnight

Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:05 pm

I salute you all, my fellow RPi shipmates ;)

Lumberjack

Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:37 am

Hi all :)

Chris-Morgan

Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:10 pm

Hi,
as you can see my name is Chris. I'm currently studing network engineer CCNA but things are changing in this field so I've also been advised to get a Pi and learn some Linux and Python. really looking forward to it!!

Mando

Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:29 am

Hi all!

I'm Matt, from Victoria, Australia, and recently picked up a Pi 4B to play around with, after my Asus laptop finally karked it.

I have a little bit of experience programming in C++ and Matlab, but look forward to learning some Linux and learning more about what I can do with my new project!

Daniel-J

Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:29 am

Good to see everyone! Now I am working as a blogger at home, today I finished my article on a new project for me https://wisepick.org/best-infrared-sauna/, write down what you think about it.

A versatile person, I am fascinated by what technologies are capable of at the moment and I am learning in a new direction for myself. I started to study programming language to better understand how programs are organized.

For a long time, I travelled and wrote books, I'm not going to stop with it, but it's boring to do one thing, I get pleasure when I go to bed without any effort and I understand that this day I've given my best.

Every day I learn to play the drums, write a few pages of my book, watch programming courses and write articles for my blog.

I hope you got to know me better, everyone is kind!

GamersNana

Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:43 am

Hi! I am a Nana to a 13yo computer and gaming nut. I myself am your average computer user. I am mainly here to find ways to support my grandson's interest in learning programming. I hope I can refrain from being drawn into another hobby (have dozens), but I'm finding myself being drawn in. LOL!!!!

hazelungria

Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:17 am

Hello! I'm Hazel from Cebu Philippines. I am a computer teacher in the high school department. I bump this forum because I am a newbie on Raspberry Pi. I was introduced by the owner of the school I am currently working to study Raspberry Pi. He plans to add a Subject on Raspberry Pi and he wants me to learn and teach the students.

We bought 8 Raspberry Pi's for experimental projects.

I join this forum because I want to earn a certificate for learning Raspberry Pi. I don't know how to join the Picademy especially here in Cebu Philippines.

TerryC

Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:10 pm

Terry here. Old guy, cut my teeth on building 8086 and 286 computers long ago.

Lately I've had a renewed interest in retro computing, and I've decided to give myself a Pi as a Christmas present. I'll be getting a 4B, already got enough peripherals so all I'll need is the Pi. New to Linux but I've been typing at a DOS command line for decades so I think I can make the connect.

Been doing as much research as I can beforehand to try to be prepared before I actually pull the trigger and start setting up the first unit (I know from past hobbies it never stops at just one).

So I'll be quietly lurking until I actually do something noteworthy.

PS: I also build and shoot cannons, so if this fails miserably at least I'll have a nice target.

Just kidding!

(mostly)

Return to “General discussion”