Koen

Re: Introduce yourself!

Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:13 pm

Hello, I am Koen, Dutch electrical engineer MD, although never worked with hardware professionally, mainly ICT jobs here in Holland. My hobby is to back engineer Tesla's free and wireless energy technology,  see  http://www.no.nl/tesla .  As a youngster I experimented with analog and digital hardware,  kudos for the Raspberry Pi design!

I would like to have a Raspberry Pi,  it is ideal for turning a basic HD TV with HDMI port into a smart TV for playing media files and browsing the net.  Also the education factor is appealing. This requires VLC player and probably the wireless Trust thinity keyboard-touchpad works with the Rasberry Pi. Linux can mount an NTFS formatted external harddisk.

Except for educational purposes the Raspberry Pi has commercial potential, although I don't want to give the wrong idea here. Enough said, I want to browse this forum!

Ogoshi

Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:20 pm

Hi all,

My name is Gary and I"m from Essex, England. I"ve only ever really been a Windows user so I"m looking forward to start learning linux again and possibly a new programming language - why not!

Can"t wait to get hold of a Rpi and also seeing what projects emerge from the community, which by the seems of things is going to be huge!

prehensile

Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:07 pm

Hello! I'm Henry and I live in London. I've been mucking about with computers since early fiddlings with Spectrums & the school BBC Micros (and later Archimedes, what a machine). These early fiddlings gradually turned into making websites & programming for a living, which has continued to this day (currently writing iOS code to pay the bills).

I have a few projects in mind for the Pi, but I'm waiting to see how things shake down once the boards go on sale before properly getting started on anything. I'm also a reasonably decent hand at hacking scripting languages & C++ code, so hopefully will be able to put this to good use in the service of the RPi community.

BlueClogger

Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:30 pm

Chris from Sheffield, UK.  I retired early this year and have some time on my hands.  I started with a Commodore PET 64 at work.  Built a kit car at the same time.  I wrote stats programs in BASIC - took an hour to run each pass, after the data was input.  Then moved onto an Electron (BBC Jnr) in about 1985.  Rewrote the stats progs in BBC Basic, and they ran in a minute!  Did some 6502 assembly programming on the Electron, and later BBC B - mostly sideways RAM utilities (you had to be there...) Got an Archimedes A3000, and later RiscPC but never got to grips with ARM assembly.  Still got the books, though.  Later went over to Windows, to fit in with the family, and the RPC retired to the loft for lack of space downstairs.  Kit car died and replacements are like modern PCs - everything covered up to stop you getting at the interesting bits. Now Raspi gives the option to get my hands dirty again.  No such luck with the car, though.

Richey

Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi - I'm Richard from Swansea in South Wales, UK.

I had a Sinclair Spectrum 48k back in the 80's. I used it mainly for games but also tried to learn a bit of BASIC. I also used to try and modify games / programs written in BASIC, which helped me understand (to an extent!) how the script worked. My experience with computers since then has been using Windows but I would really like to have a 'home' computer again (as opposed to a non-descript 'personal' computer) and learn computer programming. I have recently purchased Liberty Basic and a book to teach myself as best I can (fitted around work and family life). My hopes for the Pi is that it will help me achieve my ambition to learn how to program a computer.

colin_d5

Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:29 pm

Hi, my name is David and I am from Galicia (Spain) but in this moment I am studying the last year of electronic in Lodz (Poland), so I am very fascinated with this big project.

I arrived here when was searching info about the PIC microcontroller, I don't know how!!!

I hope to find info about the project and someday can work with the Raspberry and find a lot of possibilities around it. I like this project!!! Regards!

bruins

Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:59 pm

Greets!

My name is Bruno, and I work at a community college in Ottawa, Canada. The Pi is generating a lot of buzz, and I"m gladly contributing to this buzz in my immediate environment.

Gotta say, Ottawa is waiting with baited breath for this little puppy, and I"ll be checking the "Shop" section every single day, credit card in hand.

I think you"re on the right track with this project. Back in my early 20"s, that"s exactly how I learned to program; a Zx-81 with 1.1 Kb of ram, and nothing but basic on board. With no distractions such as chatting or Facebook around, if you wanted your computer to make something, you had to do it YOURSELF. Learned my first version of Assembler this way, and used BASIC"s POKE command to load it all in memory.

Youth may not learn to actually program on this thing, but heck, they"ll at least learn Linux!

Good work, gang! Keep it up!

Bruno
Ottawa, Canada
cisco@magma.ca

com

Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:30 pm

Hi people"s. My name is Jeremiah, I am in the US. I go by com online, I run a web site on the side called http://www.techcrawlers.com I am working on getting my A+ cert right now. I hope to have it complete by end of next month, and I am going to be applying for a I.T. job soon after. I have always been into tech stuff, and like Ubuntu Linux. I am just getting my feet wet in the Linux area. But I love this new tech that the dev team is making and have a lot of ideas for things to use them for. I will at least be buying 4 of them when they release. So I just wanted to say hi.
Com out.

jimmy

Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:55 pm

Hello, I'm Jim Noeth from Midwestern United States (St. Louis, MO metro area).  I've been involved with IT since the days of punched cards and plug boards.  I'm currently doing .NET (C#) programming for a major bank, but, have programmed in more languages than I can count on both hands, from mainframes to microcontrollers.  I am interested in the Raspberry Pi because it's a real computer for the price of an Arduino.  Nothing against the Arduino, but, sometimes it's just not enough, especially in the human interface area.

flickern0ise

Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:41 pm

Hi, I'm Paul from Manchester,UK.

My first though when I  heard of the Raspberry Pi was "this is going to be huge"

Huge in the way that the Sinclair ZX81 had hoards of parents queuing in WHSmiths in the early 80's, and  introduced a generation to computers.

I can recal hogging the family TV ( until I was given a BW portable), and the fascination with a machine doing what I told it to.

Programming to me is 'creating' something, akin to painting or writing

so I hope this little device will inspire a new generation to 'make'

rather than just 'use' new technology.

julianrich

Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:28 am

Hi I'm  Julian from Gloucestershire UK

I learned to programme on an early model B BBC BASIC and 6502 object code, then Z80. I've worked for major global companies and start ups. My current interest is Rural broadband networks as I don't have a full time job at the moment.

I'm hoping to use the pi to provide smart power management for the remote systems in the networks.

So Pi + Gert bord ASAP please!!!!

jaygee

Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:40 pm

My first programming experience was Fortran on punched cards run overnight on an ICL1900 series while at uni.

Later I played with a Nascom kit at work which inspied me to construct my own Z80 based micro out of chips and verowire. It booted itself by executing bytes off tape to load a loader and then ran software I had written in machine code. It used a teletext chip for "graphics" and I built a +/-50 volt hardware driver and software to use an old Creed teleprinter for printout.

Then came a ZX81 kit - quite fun but rather fiddly but then on to the much revered BBC Model B which over time acquired twin 5.25 inch floppy disk drives. This gave great fun with its ability to be programmed, as well as masses of games software, sideways ROMs, and useful software like Wordwise and Inter-word.

After that a long gap in the dark (kids etc) before succumbing in 1997 to the PC onslaught and buying a Windows 95 Gateway P5-166 (Pentium 166MHZ MMX) for about £1700! after which came an Evesham with Windows ME then a Mesh Athlon with XP (still in use) and currently an XP Acer core 2 duo laptop.

However with all the PCs I have missed several things that were a key part of the BBC - 1) the ability to just switch it on and write a program in BASIC (or a better modern equivalent if such exists) do some simple task then to save it and extend it to something quite complex (up to games like Elite) limited only by one's own imigination and ability, 2) and very importantly, the existence of ports - both analogue and digital to hook the computer up to real world electronic sensors etc (I'm looking forward to Gertboard for this).

I am really looking forward to the RasPi for the ability to get back to "hands on" computing. I hope the aims of the foundation to enthuse kids works out as mine suffered the current ICT approach and hence didn't get close to understanding how the machine itself works.

The last thing that I miss from the BBC (and I fear the RasPi won't solve) is the fact that the Beeb was up an running within a second or so from switch on! We seemed to go though a golden era with devices like the BBC micro and transistor radios etc that, unlike their valve forebears, did not need warm up time. Now we have moved on into an era when everything, even radios and phones need significant boot up time.

Pyropetepete

Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:22 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm Pete from Portishead Bristol UK. I work for Novatech. I've never ever written any code in my life, been a user of it but never touched it. I've a few ideas of use for this amazing bit of kit!

Cyclops91

Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:12 pm

Hi, I'm Tony, semi-retired 50 something Electrical Engineer in the north of England.  My first experience of computing was on a plastic machine called a Digi-Comp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digi-Comp_I

some time in the late 60's or early 70's.  Real computing had to wait till I was at University, not even punched cards but (7? hole) paper tape from a Friden Flexowriter which you then carried into the machine room for it to be loaded into the IBM 1130 by an operator.....  Later I had a ZX81 (still got it somewhere) BBC Model B and Amiga (shared with the kids).  I suppose my last real programming was BBC basic, though in my working life I programmed industrial PLC's until they all got too complicated and I decided it was time to stop.  I'm looking forward to trying out the R-pi but hope I don't lose patience with it!  These days I've stepped backwards into an older technology and help to look after a 1920 stationary steam engine which used to power a cotton mill with about 1200 looms.

abrakadobr

Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:34 am

Hi all! =)

I'm developer from Russia. Programming 10+ years, and now working on some automatisation projects with arduino-like devices. I wanna use Pi as base for web-based controller of all project.

jimbogaz

Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:56 pm

Hi

My name is James and I'm very very excited about the prospect of getting one of these amazing sounding computers.  I used to do a lot of programming for a living but don't get the chance anymore.

I love the idea of my son getting real hands on experience with something like the Raspi, rather than diving into eclipse and only going as far as writing .java or .xml files!

He is currently only 19 months, but hopefully by the time he can touch type I might have figured out how to get it all working

Very much looking forward and thank you for making this possible.

James.

retro

Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:02 pm

David from Holmfirth, UK.  Looking forward to exploring the educational possibilities of the Raspberry, probably via applied research coupled with virtual learning environment and blogging.

Currently an ICT project manager in local government but also a qualified further education tutor.

Started programming in 1979 with an Ohio Scientific Superboard and a variant of Microsoft basic coupled with Intel 6502 machine code. Professionally encountered many languages since including COBOL, Z80 assembler, 4GLs, Java, Smalltalk, C, XML and HTML.

I fear that this adventure could re-awake the code junkie within and become a dangerous distraction!

williamhbell

Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:19 pm

Hi,

I'm a particle physicist working in the ATLAS Collaboration at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC),

http://wbell.web.cern.ch/wbell/

The architectures I've worked on so far include the Tandy TRS-80, BBC Micro, Amstrad CPC 464, Acorn Archimedes, Acorn A series, Z80, x86 PCs from 386 onwards, Dec Alpha, VAX, Sun Sparc, Intel based Macs and embedded systems.  Other than Basic interpreters, I have worked on LINUX, OSX, RiscOS, UNIX, VMS and Windows operating systems.  During research activities, I have programmed in Basic, C, C++, FORTRAN77, JAVA, LABVIEW, Perl, PHP, PYTHON, and several scripting languages.

I'm interested in the Raspberry Pi, since it appears to provide an ideal learning environment for my sons to start to program.

Best regards,

Will

spamel

Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:56 pm

Hi, I am ex Forces currently working for British Gas, and did a very small bit of programming years back on a Spectrum computer saving to tapes! I am hoping to learn straight from a beginner level as any skill I did have has long since been lost so starting from afresh seems the way to go. I have many questions which have probably been answered on these forums so shall spend some time digging around and will try to find the answers before asking on the open forum.

Thanks to all that may help out in the future and to those who have created this project, it should be very interesting.

Borg 1.0

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:20 am

G'day all! I'm a semi-retired ex-hardware & software guru with a lot of time on my hands, and I'm hoping I can spend/waste a lot of time on this project!

I'm the extremely proud owner of a number of technological medical products, without which I'd be pushing up daisies. As an ex-biker, I smashed up my spine pretty badly, so I have some alloy rods and screws holding my back in place. To keep me upright, I've also got a computerised intrathecal pump, which provides a variable amount of painkiller right into the spinal canal. And lately I've had implanted a programmable neural stimulator (something like a TENS) which also works directly on the spinal cord. This is PWM-based, so I'm well within my comfort zone adjusting that. I've even been able to feed back improvements to the manufacturer for both programmable devices, in terms of usability improvements and better instructions for people without technical skills.

My username (Cephas Borg) should now be obvious in its allusion to a cyborg... And the first part is the Aramaic version of my first name (Peter). So it does kind of make sense. This is also why I have so much "free time" on my hands...

My passion is designing, building, and programming computers to help solve big and small problems - or sometimes, just for fun! My introduction to computers was the Z80, and I was self-taught well enough to get a job designing and manufacturing Z80-based computers (the Pulsar Little Big Board). In fact, I still have a working LBB system, with a 20Mb hard drive running TurboDOS 1.4 (a CP/M derivative), which I use for developing and playing CP/M games and so on,  when I feel the need for a 'blast from the past'.

I use Altium Designer 6.x to develop and design small boards for friends and colleagues, so their design ideas can see the light of day. That's something I really enjoy, being able to help others and still be creative and clever. I generally get my boards fabricated in Thailand, which gives me the ability to make multi-layer boards pretty cheaply. Single-sided boards I still like to make myself, with Press-N-Peel and a small bubble tank, just to "keep my hand in". It's such a great feeling, being able to create something physical that solves a problem, and be able to improve or simplify the design as needed.

I've been lucky enough to have been involved with the education department, initially with technical support of the BBC Model B, followed by early Apple systems. I even designed and built some Z80 trainer systems (single board, 7-segment displays, keyboard, expansion port, very simple stuff) that were used by some schools at a time when the recommended systems were way out of their price range.

While I've been out of the mainstream support for education for some years now, I have some family members still involved heavily in late primary/early secondary teaching. While I've been limited to web design and development for them, they're now really keen to see what the RPi can offer, especially in terms of an introduction to media and connectivity. While it doesn't apply so much to the primary level, at the secondary level there's a real dearth of tools and platforms that are truly affordable in terms of one-per-child. Some schools recommend a particular platform (typically a laptop or netbook), while others rely on second-hand and refurbished hardware of any kind, leaving the teacher to perform the support and development themselves. Its quite a hodge-podge. A tool like the RasPi would seem to be a great introduction at a number of levels, and would be much more affordable than the vastly overpriced "education-standard" platforms, which tend to be used for one year or maybe two before being dropped in favour of something more complex.

I love the idea of the RasPi, and I can't wait to get my hands on one to see what it allows me to do. And if I can catch the bug, I intend to spread it around!

Thanks for reading all of this... I'm really excited to have found the RP and such a dedicated and passionate group of followers and supporters. I hope I can add something back to the community.

Cheers,

Cephas Borg

mraven

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:05 pm

Hi, my name is Mike and I'm from Hull in northern England.  I am a geek (when time allows it), and a father of one.

I guess I'm interested to see what educational benefits the RPI will have for my son (although only being 2 he might be a little young for it!) but to be honest I''m quite keen just to use it as a computer – I want something to use for writing (being a somewhat bad author) that I can use downstairs and using the RPI with my TV and keyboard/mouse etc is a lot cheaper than forking out for a laptop. Plus it might remind me of my programming days as a kid!  At any rate the soldering iron needs a workout

mightygoose

Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:04 pm

Hello, my name is John, I am a computer technician who also dabbles in Mobile phone repair, the more unlocking/jailbreaking/rooting I do; the more I am interested in learning more about both hardware and software of computers at a more in depth level. I saw this project and have decided to bite the bullet. I plan on buying four and making a small bramble. As a complete novice I expect this to be a very long and frustrating process, but one that I will relish all the same. Up until now i have been put off buy the cost of developer boards but at $25 I have no excuse what so ever not to take the plunge.

So here's me, I will ask a lot of questions, but I will never say TL;DR & I will always do my best to figure it out on my own first. I will also do everything i can to document my journey.

Regards,

John

Starbomba

Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:19 pm

I'm Joseph. I've been working as a computer tech/IT manager for 2 years, and hope to be a CISCO CCNA very soon.

I'm fascinated with the RaspPi, how a computer with that power, size and power consumption can be equal or better as my old PIII computer from 2000. I also want to learn about Linux programming and electronics, as i'm mostly a DIY-guy (not that much as making from scratch, but i do decently well wiring together several devices to work together). I have already several ideas on how to mod the RaspPi, both in Hardware and Software

rnaodm

Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:13 pm

Hi I'm Nick.

Been around these parts for a while, just lurking. Picked up a few accessories for my future Model B.

It'll probably just end up a HTPC. Streaming video from my Network to my living room. I'd like to say I'm going to learn how to program, but I likely wont.

bigfishinnet

Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:23 pm

Hello, my parents named me Stephen Welch for some reason so you can call me Stephen.

I cant think of any witty fruit jokes so I would just like to say hi and let you know that I cant wait for these to go main stream.  Looking forward to using them in schools - hopefully.

Well done to the Rasberry PI team.  Also I was thinking to doing the birdman of bognor for charity this year as a giant bannana. Any offers on a large Rasberry?  You might get some publicity.  Also you clever sods might know how to make a Rasberry fly?

Have fun.

Stephen

Return to “General discussion”