Signs

Re: Introduce yourself!

Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:14 pm

Quote from Skygod on November 20, 2011, 15:52
Basic PhP / MySQL / Apache configuration understanding and some HTML teaching = a website (which is something tangible that can be shown off to friends). They'll want to do something better, so you get a development cycle building.

I understand that in India and maybe a few other developing nations they have programs like this, however, they tend to be asp.net. You can attend these classes very cheaply. I wonder if the Gate's Foundation have anything to do with it? ;)

Skygod

Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:28 pm

Quote from Signs on November 20, 2011, 16:14
I understand that in India and maybe a few other developing nations they have programs like this, however, they tend to be asp.net. You can attend these classes very cheaply. I wonder if the Gate's Foundation have anything to do with it? ;)

Nothing to do with any foundation for me.

Cheap hardware; free OS and basic development tools along with Internet research.

Learning PhP and interacting with external data sources just seems to be an easy way to stimulate and encourage development. These are also skills that can be used in the jobs market at the present time.

(I've now got to teach myself how to use the ODBC connectors in Open Office and manipulate data so that I can rewrite all the proprietary VB macro driven Excel spreadsheets I've produced over the years.)

We live in Interesting Times

tinctu

Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:03 pm

Hello my name is Matej (Matthew). I live in Slovakia. I am diplomed design engineer / mechanical engineer (3D/2D CAD). I am dubstep producer, chip musician, pixel art artist, vector art artist, 3D computer art artist and retro/indie gamer and I love river/lake stand up surfing. I own Atari 130XE, Atari MegaST4, ZX Spectrum 48k, Sega Megadrive, DS, Amstrad CPC 6128. My dream is to become professional computer case or game console enclosure / shell designer and have small design company for rapid prototyping and product designing. I still believe there will be new "Atari ST" or "Amiga 1200" or "Acorn Archimedes" homecomputer, all-in-keyboard design which will replace our ugly MACs and PCs... :P

tech guru

Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:10 am

Hi, I'm Sfregio
I have 15 years experience in the aerospace industry and 25 years in aircraft.
I also have an extensive knowledge in electronics, circuit boards , computers, PLC programing, and generally any thing else that looks like fun. Kind of a jack of all trades but a master of none :)

I have been tearing things apart and trying to see what makes them tick for a long time and have broken more things than I care to admit. I have been following the site and blog for a while and finally joined so so that I could join in the camaraderie shown here .

so hello to every one

winkleink
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:41 pm

Hi,
I'm Albert - Irish but living in England for the past 6 years.
Like many got into computers in the 80s.
School had an Apple II and a Vic-20.
The BBCs never made it inside the school so as the nostalgia here I only saw from a distance.

I got hooked on computers when a class mate showed a dot going across the screen and then shooting back. Animation !!!!
The best rule the teacher in charge of the computer room put in place was that you couldn't play games unless you wrote them yourself. So, I dedicated myself to writing games in school.

I did my programming in BASIC on the VIC-20 and C64. Assembly on the C64 as well.
I remember the 1st time I got a sprite to move in assembly using the joystick. It moved so fast I thought my code was broken. I spent half a day debugging the code. It wasn't until I put in a few null loops to see what was happening that I saw how much faster machine code is compared to BASIC...
Kind of had a gap in coding when I moved to a PC.

Then did some web development in ASP/Access and PHP/mySQL.
Finally last year I got an Arduino and have had great fun with it since.

I have worked as a board repair tech for Western Digital and in tech support at Dell. So, I have a mix of hardware and software experience. A jack of all trades, master of none.

I have 3 small kids and would love if they at least had exposure to computing like I did. They can then make up their own minds if they think it is something they want to do but without the exposure it's an option they will not even know about.
OK, I expect with me as their father they will get the exposure.
On my blog http://winkleink.blogspot.com I have listed some of my Arduino adventures.

I'm in the middle of doing some stuff with Arduino so Raspberry Pi will be a 2012 adventure.

Gotta Love technology. It's so much fun!
Twitter:Winkleink
Google+: Winkleink

gimliflea

Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:10 pm

Hi i am Giles. I used to work on embedded systems using a selection of proprietary OS's. I am looking forward to getting close to the metal again after years out. This just looks so much fun.

technicalian

Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:20 pm

I'm Ian, electronics engineer, worked on many things running on uA of current to a 1000A or so :)
I think it's true that any electronics bod is a software bod of some sort, it just goes with the territory these days. I started as a kid on basic, then assembly language, my Acorn Atom could run both quite smartly. Laterly I've dabbled in C compiled for microcontrollers, but found it less than easy if you're not using it regularly. Lots of PLC programming of late, but have been struck how complicated it gets to do something elegant, not that different from writing the code in something more conventional and infinitely more flexible! To that end I'm busy learning Python 3.

I also do some voluntary work and was struck by the merits of R-Pi and how it might inspire some of a new generation of hackerets, my own 2 and 10 year old sons could become such.
I'm a firm Linux fan and love everything open source, it just works well and seems to fit the human psyche so well (my fellow nice people).

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a 'Pi or two and I am thinking of ways to package it for introducing to those actually or virtually young at heart.

Salutations and not raspberries to all those at RaspberryPi HQ, bring it on!

Salutations also to all other fans.

srix

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:29 am

Hi,
I'm Srikant (usually "srix" online) from India. I've been in the software development world for many years, starting on IBM machines using punched cards and working my way through DOS, UNIX, Windows, and back to Linux. As a DIY enthusiast I can't wait for the Rasp-Pi to be released. The Pi is a wonderful idea and I'm looking forward to seeing it evolve and get widely used.

fireraisr

Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:31 pm

Hey All,
I'm Mark, known pretty much everywhere online as fireraisr.

Born and raised on the west coast, USA

If you're into repraps, I'm the same guy that started a clonedel business which has kind of fallen to the wayside do to being too much effort for little returns. It was fun while it lasted though.

Been doing computer related stuff professionally for a little over 5 years now. Worked in tech support for a time which included: phone support, CC tv setup, cd/dvd duplicator rma/support/repair.
Most recently I've started what I hope to be a lifelong career in Internet Security.

I dabble in hobby electronics/robotics. I've competed internationally in the robosub competition twice. I don't 'code' but I know enough to be dangerous.

I've been following the raspi project as a lurker for some time now and would have to say my interest probably falls first into the category of game station and secondly into low cost web accessible pc.

Here's hoping I can be quick enough to grab one from the first batch :D

rotmoset

Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:39 pm

Hi.

I'm a geek, I talk, live and breathe computers.

I'm studying for a bachelor in computer science and work part time as a developer in the security industry.

I'm interested in the rapsberyr pi project because of the low price, small size, lack of moveable parts and the relative high performance.

Byebye.

egprice

Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:25 am

Hello Everyone:

Eric from SD CA.
I want to start programming Rasberry Pi devices, and use then as embedded controller devices.

Regards,

Eric.

thoms_here

Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:14 am

Just want to say hi and to let these guys know that I think they are doing mankind all kinds of good.

Photon Peddler

Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:57 am

Quote from liz on August 3, 2011, 20:57
As requested, here's a sticky topic for people to introduce themselves in.

I wonder if anyone bothers to read these topics...

I'm J(mumble) from Finland, an electronics / software engineer, currently developing big-ass industrial lasers, upto 10 kW or so. Fun stuff... Currently, I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, as that's where the action is at the moment.

I've done 8-, 16- and 32-bit embedded systems, Linux (x32, ARM, MIPS), FPGAs, PLCs, Python, microcontrollers (AVR, ARM, C196, 8051, H8/H) and assorted other technologies during the years. I look forward to buying dozens of Raspberry PIs for all kinds of crazy purposes.

To be honest, I can scarcely fathom the idea that you can get so much processing power for so little money these days. Raspberry PI a game changer, for sure.

abishur

Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:34 pm

I read them! I'm also a PLC programmer! If you dig around in the project section a little, there's actually an idea for using the r-pi as a cheap PLC controller. Obviously it won't be as powerful as a a professional grade PLC controller, but it would provide a student with an *affordable* option to learn PLC programming in.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Nr90

Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:48 pm

Hi everyone,
I've been following the project for a while now but here's my first post.

My name is Elbert.
I'm a 22 year old student from the Netherlands.
Currently I am working on obtaining my bachelor degrees in artificial intelligence and economics.

I'll be using the RaPI as a torrent box, programming tool and later for some robotics.

croston

Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:40 pm

Hi,

I'm Ben and I'd like to introduce myself after first noticing the Raspberry PI on Newsnight back in October. I've been lurking on this forum for a while and this is my first post.

I first started computing on a BBC Micro (Model B) at the age of 5 or 6. I think my first program was a space ship taking off. I briely played with Logo but it didn't really inspire me - it was too limited in what it could do after BBC BASIC. I then taught myself Pascal (using Turbo Pascal on an Amstrad PC1512) using my Dad's university course lecture handouts at the age of about 8 or 9. I repeated this a year later, teaching myself C. The computers at school (primary and secondary) were made by RM and incompatible with anything anyone had at home at the time. As a result, nobody really did any computing at school. I took GCSE IT (before it was renamed ICT) and was terribly bored with being trained to be a secretary, so for my GCSE project I wrote some software in C to control a relay box which attached to the printer (parallel port) of a PC (also designed by me). I had to do the entire project at home because the school didn't have any software tools or languages installed on any computer in the whole school! The teacher barely understood a single line of code so how he could accurately mark it, I'll never know! He could not even compile it! After that, I for the most part avoided computing and software at A level and university because I felt I was better off learning other things and applying the computing I already knew.

I studied Systems Engineering at university. For my final year project I examined different DBMS's to determine which would be the most suitable for use as a teaching aid (at University level). This was after never being given the option to learn anything about databases at university!

I have used many other languages (some professionally): 6502 assembler, 8086 assembler, Delphi, Visual Basic, VBA (yuck!), Perl, C++, Java, PHP, Ada, Python, C#. I have also used the VMS and VxWorks operating systems.

I switched from Windows to Linux around 1997, after seeing how limiting a Windows PC was and realising how badly engineered Windows was as an operating system. I started with Red Hat Linux and switched to Debian around the time Fedora first appeared. I still use Debian to this day.

<rant> I always say that you have to use the correct tools for the job. For example real time computing requires completely different tools from web based applications. So why do so many companies run their whole business using Excel with badly written macros instead of a database with custom software? </rant>

I'm now a software engineer, mainly writing applications using Python and PyQt. I've recently registered as a STEM Ambassador so that I can inspire and help children in local schools and maybe teach some programming in an after-school club. We are turning into a world of consumers and computer users, and I don't see enough people learning how to build anything new any more. I hope that the Raspberry PI project is a success and that it can inspire children to learn how to produce things using computers rather than just how to use applications.

Ben

zackmatere

Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:10 pm

hallo i am zack matere a farmer in rural kenya recently introduced to raspberry by someone on google+ .i think what best can explain what i am is this youtube video that now has 1 million views

i have very little tech knowledge so your help will be appreciated

zackmatere

Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:14 pm

Quote from zackmatere on November 26, 2011, 15:10
hallo i am zack matere a farmer in rural kenya recently introduced to raspberry by someone on google+ .i think what best can explain what i am is this youtube video that now has 1 million views

i have very little tech knowledge so your help will be appreciated

JamesHardiman

Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:26 pm

Happy to help if I can ... maybe we need to see if we can help Zack to set up a whole Fab Lab in Soy.

Morris

Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:48 pm

Hi,

my name is Maurizio, but I'm working under Morris as my main nickname as a FM radio DJ, shoutcast vocaltranceDJ, SecondLife resident and blogger on the internet.
My first love was the ZX-80 introduced to us as a curiosum during our 4th grade. I gave up all my free wednesday afternoons to work on the schools Apple ][e and when I earned my first money I bought an Atari 1040ST, which helped me through half of my engineering studies. As an electronics DIY'er I extended my Atari with an add-on soldered to the graphics chip in order to connect a regular TV, and I also built a digital signal analyzer connected to the DMA-bus of the machine. When I finished my Master Degree in Electronics, I had to switch to regular PC (286 AT, 486, etc). I really missed the hackability of the early computers and we even added ISA-cards to our PC's in order to use them as jingle machines connected to an automated radio environment, but to no avail, the PC is to noisy and too complicated for DIY stuff.

I'm currently Product Development Manager for an international company and we're currently developping hardware and software in the contactless RFID domain. We're developping devices that interface to existing hardware (I/O), that need to survive in harsh environments (physical and electrical) and where power/cost is an issue.
That's how I got in touch again with microcontrollers and the current state of electronic devices.

My personal interest nowadays goes into small microcontrollers and hackable stuff. Instead of buying a solar logger,I built one using a cheap MIPS-based router, a handfull of electronics parts and my own logger running on OpenWRT. The device logs my electric production and consumption and sends data to several repositories (my own REST based website, Pachube and Twitter).
I've been playing with Edimax NS-1500 and Bifferboard for a myriad of experiments and applications going from Ethernet I/O, MusicStreaming, Meshed Communication, hardware watchdogs with WOL and home automation.

I'm currently investigating the use of the nRF24L01 2.4G transceiver to setup communication lines between different devices at short/medium range (avoiding BT, Zigbee, Wifi).

I'm also an XBMC fan and one of my goals for 2012 will be to replace my 'low'-power HTPC by a RaspberryPi. I see already the NS-1500 running some shares on my lan and the R-Pi doing the GPU-intensive stuff on my 42" TV.

I'm now in my 40's and I wish technology would be more accessible for kids. All I see are media consumption devices, but none of them inspire kids to do usefull things with it. The idea of bringing something cheap and easy to hack to a bunch of kids, makes me want to jump in and participate in this exciting project.

Somebody on this forum wrote 'These are interesting times' and I agree. Last week I bought a Samsung Galaxy Gio S5660 for my wife. It's mindboggling to see this little gem (you can look at the specs online) at only 99€ (after a special Samsung rebate action). A pity it doesn't have any I/O to hack.

A R-Pi under my Xmas tree? :-)

Morris

Bazildon

Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:15 pm

Hi, I'm Bazildon and I'm an alcho...oh hang on...

I'm a currently a DJ after spending many dull years in IT as a coder and network support type. I'm also a bit of a tech head and looking forward to something new and exciting.

I think it will be interesting to see how this whole raspberry pi thing goes and for such a small sum it seems silly not to get involved myself.

Scouser

Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:14 pm

Hi, I'm Scouser and am very interested in acquiring a few RPs to use as http/mysql web servers to replace my dying Raq4.

I really hope they do appear next month.

Signs

Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:36 pm

Quote from Scouser on November 28, 2011, 14:14

I really hope they do appear next month.

And I also hope that I will be able to get one before Christmas delivered in the US!!! Maybe they should limit the first run to one per customer :D

I will buy at least a hundred if they can do what I want (and that should not be problem). I just need for each of them to last a year and that is also my wishes!!! They will be running 24x7 365. :o

jimbro1000

Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:56 am

Hi, I'm Julian

Just heard about these wonderful little boxes from a news article and had to take a peek.

I grew up programming 8 and 16 bit home computers in so many different languages that it is more than a touch confusing to remember which did what. I think I taught my IT teacher at school more than he taught me and given I was entirely self-taught to that point I think that is something of an accomplishment. I only barely completed the course without being thrown out for hacking the networks and PCs and causing the sys-admin many wasted afternoons. That was over 20 years ago and now I spend my days guiding my team of minions (sorry developers) towards worthwhile solutions (currently clinical management systems) while trying to stay ahead of the many facets of IT.

I am really looking forward to getting my hands on a raspi and seeing what we can do with them

birdorf

Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:39 pm

I'm just a strange old hermit who enjoys programming. Just found out about this and am looking forward to getting my hands on one.
Nottingham, UK.

Return to “General discussion”