benehime

Re: Introduce yourself!

Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:01 pm

Hi there Raspi heads,

I'm benehime from Kenya in East Africa, 24yo. I'm a recent electrical and electronic engineering graduate from the University of Nairobi and I work there as teaching assistant as I'm doing my post grad studies.

When I first heard of the Raspberry Pi last year, I immediately ordered for one. It came in December and since then I've been tinkering with it, especially in the field of embedded systems.

I'm trying to develop a micro-controller (MCU) culture at our university, and try to get guys to design stuff without the bells and whistles of prefabricated systems like the Arduino (though I have loads of respect to the Arduino team out there). :)

To this end, i'm using the Raspi as remote programming interface one-stop shop for my chips - using moebius as the os, nano as the editor and gcc-avr and avrdude for everything in between. I've even managed to write programs from my smartphone using it via the awesomeness of ssh. :lol:

If anyone would like to do something similar or can offer interesting tips and challenges, feel free to hit me up anytime.

benhime. :D

sparramc

Introduce yourself!

Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:19 am

My name is Ray McNamara, my nickname is Sparra, and my Internet call sign is 'sparramc'. I live in Launceston, Tasmania, which is Australia´s Island State, situated at a latitude of approximately 40° South with my partner Yvonne, daughter Samantha and son Anthony.

To relax, I enjoy building LEGO ®Technics and LEGO® Mindstorms Robotic Models. The Lego Mindstorms NXT is a programmable robotics kit originally released by LEGO® in late July 2006. It replaces the first-generation Lego Mindstorms kit, which was called the Robotics Invention System.

I was the instigator in bringing Rotacaster Omni-wheels to the LEGO Technic and Mindstorms platforms. These Omni-directional Wheels were developed from industrial Rollers and casters produced by Rotacaster Australia.

A couple of months ago I purchase a Raspberry Pi runs as a XBMC Audio Server to serve FLAC Audio files to my Sony Hi-Fi System. As a result, of the adventure, I've purchase a second Pi which I intend to used as the 'BRAINS' for LEGO Mindstorms Robots instead of the Mindstorms NXT Programmable Brick.

My intentions is to use a 'Raspberry Pi to Arduino shields connection bridge' to interface a Mindsensors NXShield-Mx which attaches directly to an Arduino Mega, Mega 2560 or Arduino ADK. It allows you to connect upto 4x LEGO NXT motors, and 4 LEGO NXT Sensors, and program for them through Arduino sketch.

You can also attach upto 12 RC Servo motors to NXShield-Mx. The shield also provides ports for I2C devices, and analog inputs.

So a new adventure starts.................
Want to See What I've Been Building with My Lego Robotics Mindstorms Kit?
           Then visit www.LegoMindstormsRobots.com and be amazed by a bunch of Bricks!

geneulm

Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:58 am

Hello

I am 54 years old. I was originally 'scarred' of computers. I took a class at the local junior college to learn how to turn on that mystery box that I purchased by daughter in 1999 (It was a e-machine that looked like funny apple where it was all in the monitor). So I took a class called "BASIC" not realizing it was computer programming. I almost dropped the class, the teacher talked me out of it......I worked very hard and absorbed myself in that class and I got an A; then again, it was my only class and being in my 40, I was not partying on Friday and Saturday nights. Not bad for a guy that barely scratched a C out of Algebra in High School.

I wish I could have changed my handle to something like "I am an idiot or I don't know what I am doing" (those were already taken). I am a Linux new bee. I was able to follow the instructions posted in this forum and on the first attempt I was able to start my Pi with no problems. My palms sweated, and my head got foggy but once I saw that big symbol on the start screen, I succeeded. THANK YOU TO ALL. I think I am still missing something with the command line processes for installing programs, but I guess the best thing about a Pi, is if I really mess it up, I can always wipe the SD card and re-install it. I was sort of worried, since I saw

dpguest

Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:04 pm

Congratulations Eben, Liz, David, Peter and all the others ... what you have created may be the biggest thing in the computer industry since the Univac I, circa 1951, the first commercial computer in the US.

I joined Univac in 1957. I would have been in 1953, but the Korean War intervened.
Later I moved to Young & Rubicam Advertising, where eventually I ran a 200 terminal timesharing computer with a staff of 100 ... Our programming language was Algol and our computer was hooked to the ArpaNet in the 1970's (the precursor to the Internet) with world wide access.

In the 80's I had my own computer business and put 13 products on the market, but wasn't very good at marketing and lost 750K dollars.

In the 90's I did pro-bono systems for Museums, Art Centers, Free Clinics, Meals on Wheels, and community organizations.

I went to work for Phelps Memorial Hospital Center, Sleepy Hollow, New York, USA in 2004 as a programmer analyst and have been developing client/server systems ever since, using Delphi and NexusDB as my database technology.

I plan to work for another 19 years ... after all, I'm only 81....

I love Pi ...It is making me excitedly learn about Linux. It allows me to watch my son;s Rock Band Videos on a large screen ... It will teach my grandson how computers work, and perhaps, my second PI, waiting for a cable, will teach my colleagues at the hospital something about what is under the hood.

I am one happy, old dude, full of raspberry pi ....

have a nice day...

David Guest
dpguest@aol.com

Brendanflynn

Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:20 pm

Hey guys I'm a student in G.M.I.T inGalway. I am a art student. This year is my last year. I program with processing for about a year now. So for my show I want to run program's, either raw or builds that finalised in video. I got a bunch of VGA monitors. I want to play video on too they are old dell screens that I ripped that plastic frames off so they look cool. Could someone please explain to me what I need to succeed this. I want to use rasberry to keep things nice and slick as to not have bulky computers or players in room. You could contact me via email on ------------@---------- I will use rasberry more in the future, for now this is it. Two months left so lots of work to do. Thank. Brendan.

[mod edit: not a good idea to put email addresses in an open forum; you'll get more spam and offers from African prices tha you know what to do with.]

ManoaHI

Hi

Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:41 am

I prefer my handle ManoaHi, I have been in the IT field for 30 years. In high school, we did Fortran and IBM 360 assembly. A few years later, while in university, I was programming (free lance) on PDP-11s and VAXes in Basic Plus 2. After graduating I moved to Japan, working as a systems analyst for a computer maker that doesn't exist anymore, but I wanted to get back to programming. I moved to an investment bank and was happy to be back programming in C, then later C++ on Solaris. At that time, all us programmers were also system admins. Along the way, I've also been a DBA, a Linux system admin, Solaris system admin, network admin, and also picked up the .Net visual languages, mainly VB and C#. The Raspberry Pi is awesome, I've bought 2 (just after they released the limit of 1). It will probably just stay as a hobby, but I have a few ideas.

gkirke

Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:21 am

Good Evening...err...or is that Good day…Hi!.

My joining the Raspberry Pi Forum happened by chance in a rather interesting and round about way. I have been reading recent PC hardware reviews to assist in component selection to build a powerful personal computer for high end graphics and video editing.

While reading a recent copy of CPU (Computer Power User) magazine to obtain information from independent hardware testing, I noticed the article “Computer On A Card”…which caught my interest and lead to my visiting this Forum….the how I got here part…

My background includes a discipline in Electrical Engineering, followed by many years in manufacturing R&D, designing custom embedded process controllers (PLC) for robotics and industrial automation. Not to date myself, however, my work in computer research started in university working with the PDP-11…some may be able to relate…the why I can relate to this Forum part…

Of recent, I earn my keep working as an IT Consultant, which also provides seed capital to fund the building of a new photography studio…which requires the aforementioned new graphics editing systems.

In summary, if I didn’t need to build powerful graphics editing systems, I may never have stumbled onto the Raspberry Pi and now that I have…I may have just found, in cursory review, the Raspberry Pi to be a candidate for some studio automation control work…the close the loop part...!!!

I look forward to reading (as time permits) some of the integration or engineering challenges that some may run into and perhaps at times, ask for input/guidance or even at times may be able to contribute back and provide some guidance…time will tell.
Cheers,

GK

jbrown43

Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:34 am

My name is James Brown. I am located on the eastern shore of virginia. I am a 50 yr old college student studying electronics. I am married to my high school sweetheart now 27 yrs.

waltd

Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:19 am

Hi all, My name is Walter and I'm a retired computer programmer. I started programming in the "good ole days" in the 1980's with IBM mainframes and the COBOL language. Computer and network technology is now my hobby and I love the way the technology is growing and improving. I have a project with the Raspberry Pi to set up a Pi client farm that will run 4 or 5 Raspberry Pi's. Each Pi will run it's own separate BOINC project, such as Seti@home and Einstein@home. Currently, mini computers and Linux is my passion.

IdleCycles

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:42 pm

Hi, my name is Colin. I've been playing with computers as a gamer and hobbyist since starting with a ZX81 thirty years ago, learning and forgetting MSDOS along the way, and running Debian on cheap PC hardware at home for a few years now.

I've had my model B Raspberry Pi since Christmas and been running both Raspbian Linux and RISC OS. Raspbian is working well with the Pi connected to the big TV and it can run headless downloading content from the BBC iplayer while consuming hardly any power. Trouble is, I'm having a lot of fun stumbling around RISC OS and reacquainting myself with BBC BASIC (this thing's quick, got a shell sort running and it sorts 10,000 integers in about 2 seconds), so the Pi is spending most of its time sitting on my desk hooked up to a monitor. Looks ike I'm gonna have to buy another Pi to get the best of both worlds. Good job they're so affordable!

Not sure how much time I'll get to spend on here. I have two young kids and all the usual duties and distractions to fill up much of my time. I'll no doubt be lurking and asking for help in the RISC OS group and perhaps able to help with general stuff in the Raspbian group.

mrpi64

Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:36 am

Hi. I'm meself, a crazy (some would say idiotic) inventor. :lol:
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

Imaginos

Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:30 am

Hi everyone. I've just ordered a Model B Rasberry Pi. I have no Idea what I'm going to use it for. I haven't done any programming since the early 80's when I had a ZX Specrum and used to write little games in BASIC. I feel that I'm going to have a lot to learn.

ydeardorff

Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:38 pm

Hello,
I am a retired Navy veteran. I have been a mechanic, and composite technician for my 40+ years of life. I am currently in college working toward my vehicle design and vehicle engineering degree.

I am always working on something. Keeping my brain busy is always top of my list.

This raspberry board looks/sounds promising for several applications.

Sarky4

Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:22 am

Hi, got myself a Pi yesterday, loving it with all it's little quirks and all. Normally lurk in forums and I suspect this one will be more of the same, so cheers all in advance for all the advice and tips. :D

KTIOW

Hello

Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:24 pm

I'm KT, got raspberry pi for my birthday, now have all I need I think but monitor not showing anything...got red light but nothing else....

DarkMoon

Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:28 pm

Hi, I'm DarkMoon and I'm electronic engineer and software programmer.
My first problem with the Rpi is Linux, I allways used Windows, but I will try to win this war! :lol:

Bye!

coin74

Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:29 am

Hi, English ex-pat living and working in Denmark.
Currently experimenting with a Pi running in QEMU trying to work out if it can replace the media centre we have. As a seasoned child of Microsoft, coming back to Linux is interesting. The best way I can describe it is as if I woke up after a really good stag do last night and found myself in rural France, not an English speaker in sight, desperately trying to remember the French I learnt in school 20 years ago..... :? :| :geek: :P :shock:
Should be fun. :D

gadgethome

Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:49 pm

Hi,

Received mine about a week OK. Using it for media mostly via SABnzbd. Great so far.

Paul

majorposh

Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:19 pm

Newbie here, just here to learn some programming. I love PI!

wikily

Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:25 am

Hi,

mid forties ... trying to be a 12 year old again syndrome... lol

Got the webcam and piface setup... please goto

http://www.fractalise.eu/raspipoint.php and click 'View Here' ( My CSS aint too good )

to get the nearest location of my opened up pi, and all ports, etc.... yes... I'm not good at security....

Doubt I'll be DDos'd... lol... but maybe crash the webserver on the pi??...

LED 1, and 2 on the PiFace are hooked up to relays, so a bit of noise from them will keep me up :D

Advice always welcome.... especially about security :D

Regards,

nudatech

Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:24 pm

Hi, I'm Davide founder of Nudatech, a brand new London based company focused on Arduino and Raspberry Pi products.

I ordered a first batch of Raspberry Pi last month:
and since then I've been "playing" with one and I really enjoyed it, so hopefully I'll be posting few interesting things soon ;)
Davide Coppola - Nudatech

nigsy

Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:30 pm

Hi all,

Nigsy here,

Just unboxed the little beast - fired it up - startx and we're off.....

Now what do I do with it??? :mrgreen:

jax

Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:21 pm

Retired technician. Worked in SCADA for most of my life but haven't touched anything techy or done any coding for over 16 years. Got a Pi bought for me for my birthday so I'll see what I can do with it after I find out how it works.

TreeHugger

Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:01 pm

Hey,

I'm TH, I'm an electronics enthusiast from the uk

Rock on Pi lovers

KF6NFW

Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:35 am

Good evening to the group.
I am new to Raspberry Pi, but not to open source. I have played with Unix and Linux for several years. however a medical condition slows me down as I am starting to forget things , so I require help more often now.

My goal is to implement the Pi into an air born vehicle and launch into active storm cells for storm research. This is of course just one of the many hobbies, which also include amateur radio, and many of the offerings it provides.

Outside of hobby research, I also want to learn how to automate a home, for various features, some that cater to the disabled, others just because I can!

I have been playing with electronics and communications devices for over 30 years, but again, am quickly losing some of that information, so I rely upon bookmarks and lots of note taking or printing off pages of manuals as needed.

I prefer electronics R&D type work because nothing is off limits, your imagination is the limit, and seeing how our world is growing extremely fond of electronic devices.
I figure if there isn't an app for "that" or "this", then either it wont work with an app, or the product doesn't exist yet!

My name is Chris, I am a father, Husband, and excellent source of smart ass comments!

Return to “General discussion”