kenayersjr

Re: Introduce yourself!

Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:40 am

Aloha, I just got my R-Pi up and running on wheezy...do you know the default root passwd?

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:21 am

Hi and welcome to the forum.
The default username is pi
The default password is raspberry

Cheers,
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

BrotherMalice

Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:12 pm

Hello, names Colin and my pi arrived in the office today, cant wait for 5pm so I can go home and start playing!

rev9of8

Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:34 pm

Hi, I'm the rev9of8 and I approve this post.

I'm currently an in-patient in a medium security psychiatric unit owing to a run-in with the law (some breaches of the peace) due to serious mental health problems (bipolar disorder characterised by episodes of mania with acute psychosis along with an autistic spectrum disorder just to round off the edges) such that for a period of several months I wasn't responiding to medical treatment at all despite being on very high doses of anti-psychotics and wanted something else to do with my time beyond reading (everything from Thomas Hobbes to Jared Diamond to Karl Marx), watching DVDs and Blu-rays and playing videogames on my Xbox and PS3 whilst I approach discharge into the community as well as giving me a potential hobby to occupy my time once I'm living back out in the community.

My first computer was an Amstrad CPC back when I was a nipper and I quickly learnt how to program in BASIC before progressing onto Z80 Assembler. I progressed through various computers but my interest in programming waned though through my teenage years to the point where I eventually dropped out of a Computer Science degree because programming just struck me as tedious and boring by this point - and I was having far too much fun partying hard.

But my interest in computers per se never stopped and I still tinkered which lead to me working in IT initially as a helpdesk monkey before progressing up to doing Windows server admin and support with a particular focus on Exchange (the ability to script extensively to admin an Exchange server which came in courtesy of Exchange 2007 ended up being a joy for me) until I developed my mental health problems and became too ill to work.

My Raspberry Pi is for playing around with and seeing if I can get back into coding with the possible aim of doing a Computing degree via the Open University as I don't have to go back to work until I want to owing to my health. Whilst I'm signed off sick I want to do something somewhat productive with my time.

Whilst I'm still in the unit I'll only have limited internet access at the times when I can get out of the unit on authorised pass but this shouldn't impact too massively on my ability to learn the fundamentals of python.

I'm the rev9of8 and I approve this post.

drapacioli

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:00 pm

Hi, I'm Dom. I'm 20 and I come from sunny Tampa Bay, Florida, USA, and I just ordered a Pi Model B two days ago.

I'm more knowledgeable than most "average" users when it comes to computers (I fix them, build them, and use them every day). I've been around computers since I was 5, but even then we had GUIs such as Windows 95 and I never have needed to use a terminal or command prompt before. My interest in learning to program actually sparked from my interest in graphics design. While designing graphics as a volunteer for an online trading card game, I had to learn how multiple images came together in the site layout. Having no prior experience in that regard, I struck up a conversation with one of the other designers on the team that had some experience as coder, and he started talking to me about how the website was built and how the layout works, and eventually we got into how he learned to code in Python and C++. At the time I was undecided in what I would do with my life, but he basically opened the door to programming for me. It all made sense to me that I should learn to program. I always use computers and am very comfortable with them, everybody in the world seems to depend on them for their daily tasks, and there are almost endless possibilities for a job or hobby with programming knowledge. About a week later I got my intended major declared as Computer Science. I'm only three weeks removed from the start of my first programming experience in college (a programming concepts course in Java), but I have pretty much decided that I've found a career for life. I wish I had bothered learning this stuff ages ago, who knows what I could be doing by now if I had!

So anyway, I have a desktop and laptop for college, but they are both very expensive and I don't want to go installing multiple OSes and integrating new devices to them when I rely on them for my coursework, so my Pi will be my preferred device for learning to code and interface with other electronics. In addition to the sandbox atmosphere that the Pi allows, he extra portability and nature of the device leaves it more open to dabbling than in other Windows-based devices I own. I've got a lot of ideas for what to do with the device, but for now I will take it slow and learn what's possible with it first. Eventually I want to learn to program my own games using Java and integrate them and my Raspberry Pi into a custom arcade box (I love old platform-style games, so it seems a perfect fit).

Anyway, I'm open to ideas as to what I should do first when I get my Pi, but for now I have to wait until the end of the month before mine comes in :( . Hopefully I don't drive myself mad in the meantime!

Trcx

Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:05 pm

Hello all.

I am a new member to this community. I have a good deal of experience with computers, and linux generically speaking, including cross compiling. I am also a white hat and familiar enough with hacking to defend myself, in fact at school I compete on a team who's defends themselves against professional penetration testers. Beyond that I have a fair bit if programming knowledge and look forward to proving myself on the forum.

Ciras

Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:31 am

Hi there!!

Mi name is Saul Remis García and I am coordinator of Congreso Internacional de Robótica de Asturias (CIRAS). Recently we adquired several Rasp boards and can´t wait to start creating amazing projects!

Thanks to the Rasp team for this!
Saul

sbcrone

Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:56 am

Hi all!

I'm Ben, a mechanical engineer from the UK, I use Unix quite a lot at work and regularly write scripts in VB .NET, JavaScript and C. I currently have two Pi's as part of a project to set up a home entertainment network. Once I've cracked that, I'm going to try and install a couple of game emulators (Sega MegaDrive, SNES etc) and then attempt to control them using a bluetooth PS3 controller.

Cheers!

gregf

Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:16 pm

This is Greg from California.
A friend told me about this on a Friday, I ordered it from Amazon on Saturday, arrived on Monday and it took 1hr to get it going. Pretty impressive.
:shock:

NiXijav

Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:01 pm

Hello!
I'm a 15 year old Spanish teenager.

First of all, sorry if my English is too bad, I'm just learning. :D

I've been interested in computers since I was a little child. With just 4 or 5 years, my parents bought a Windows 98 computer for the family. I started programming with 9 or 10 years, with simple languages like Batch. Then I learnt Lua, with a block game called Roblox. I've also learnt QBasic and Visual Basic. Some months ago I started with Html, Php, and Css, because a friend told me if I could set up a website for him. :lol:

My aunt bought me a Model B Rev.2 Raspberry Pi for Christmas, because a friend told me about his Model B Rev.1 Raspberry Pi, and I liked it very much. In just one month, I have basic knowledge of Linux itself, Bash, Python, C, and Assembly. I've also improved a lot with Html, Php and Css.

I think Raspberry Pi has made very well its objective, but there is very little interest for this kind of things in my school. Maybe because the computer teachers are very incompetent. For example, past Wednesday, my teacher taught us how to make a shortcut on Windows :lol:. He also says that Linux is a strange thing that nobody should use, because it is free, and if it is free, it is bad. (facepalm).

Could you make something to encourage the use of Raspberry's in Spain? It would be awesome.

Jemographic

Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:29 am

Hi! I've been using the pi since one of the first batches arrived! :!:

I'll most likly be in the scratch and python forums! See you around :mrgreen:
"In the begginging the universe was created, this made a lot of people angry and was widly regarded as a bad move"

Douglas Adams,
The Resturant at the end of the universe.

Cromarty

Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:51 am

Hello. My name is Mike. I picked the name 'Cromarty' because I have a thing about the shipping forecast you can hear on BBC Radio 4 at various times of the day and night. My computers are always called things like 'viking', 'forties', 'portland' etc.

I have been visually impaired since birth. I went to the college for the blind and visually impaired in Hereford in 1991 and learned to program in COBOL, but I cut my first slice of code on a UK101 in about nineteen canteen. I am now totally blind and use a combination of screen-readers and a Braille display to write code on Windows and Linux.

I have started an email list called raspberry-vi, and we have about 26 members at the mo.

In the last 72 hours or so I have got the 'yasr' screen-reader going on my Raspi!

Professionally I have worked as a freelance programmer since 1996, although I haven't worked since losing my sight totally.

I am also a radio ham, call-sign G4XBF. I intend to get a Raspi controlling all kinds of ham radio widgetry in time. I currently have 2 Model Bs, but I am sure that little family will grow
--
Michael Ray
Analyst/Programmer
Surrey, UK
4xB, 1xB+,
Creator and admin of:
raspberry-vi@freelists.org
Ham radio call: G4XBF
'Suddenly I am become death, destroyer of SD cards'

ImAnIdiot

Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:29 am

Hey. I'm about to become more of a draw on resources than a contributor. Hopefully that will change. I have a programming background, but not in line code. I'm an A/V programmer. I understand signal flow, networking (very well), protocols... I'm going to be asking a ton of questions though, because I'm new to everything here. New to the RPi and linux. I can read line code, but I can't write it. I hope to change that last one.

oldboy1948

Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:16 am

Hello I am new at this forum. I am a chemical engineer, will soon retire and live in Sweden. Today snow is falling here in Vänersborg (south of a very big lake Vänern). I was born 1948 and my first contact with computers were back in 1968 in punching cards...In chemical analysis computers are used for example in fast fourier transform infrared spectroscopy. This was a very big step in analysing organic materials like plastics, grease, oil and so on.
This is a very nice forum and I have already got some help on Debian.
I have never been in direct contact with something embedded before and this small silent little board is fascinating. No heat and no fan!
Best regards!
Per

PS! How to add a personal photo or drawing?

LemmeFatale

Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:05 pm

oldboy1948 wrote:PS! How to add a personal photo or drawing?
At the very top of the forum, you should see "FAQ", "Logout [ YourName ]", "YourName". Click on the one that is just your user-name, and you'll be presented with the User Control Panel.

In there, click on the "Profile" tab, and in *there*, you'll have the option to "Edit Avatar" - you can upload an image there. It can be up to 90x90 pixels in size, and it must be below 6KB in file-size.
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

kbailey

Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:03 am

Kirk Bailey
b. Perth Amboy NJ November 1954
d. (unrevealed)

First encountered computers at age 10 by a magazine article detailing tiny pilot, a computer programming language intended to teach computer programming to children, which fascinated me.

Next exposed to BASIC on an ASR33 TTY in the library's closet in my high school 1970.
Later I built a microtrainer kit (the Superelf) in 1981; I got sick of it's flakyness and designed, hand wirewrapped and programmed my own design, taking 3 months to teach myself enough to do it. Yes, it worked.

Got a real computer in 1985, an XT. Moved on to a 386 in 1997, and used a (another) Xt to run a BBS.

1998 taught myself enough python to write my answer to the original majordomo, calling it tinylist.
2000, wrote wikinehesa, a python wiki, started on miniwiki, which becasme the strange seed giving rise to a completed commercial product, windows wiki.

Have held 2 class radiotelephone license P27T3709, am ISCET FL-800; currently finishing up a degree in computer science specializing in networking.

Known for intermittent bouts of moodiness and irritability, with a side helping of abrasive bluntness, when my dark side exceeds my reformed side. I'm working on it.

Currently CEO and a partner in Freehold Marketing LLC, and director of the web hosting division.

Current goal: discover, develop, market the model T of internet surf boards, and build an organization to make them available to elderly, poor, and children- partly by charity, partly by profits of selling completed systems to regular cash customers.

hwntw

Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:31 am

Hello,
Hwntw here, my name translates as Southerner, in English. I am a retired gentleman, of limited means and unlimited time to spare. Be nice to see *made in Wales* on all Pis.
If anything new comes out, I want to play with it. I cannot code, nor do I really wish to, but playing with toys I dont understand is great fun for me

Widhot

Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:12 pm

Hello, i'm Widhot, an electronics engineer.

I have been following the news about Raspberry Pi since early 2012, and am looking forward to make the best out of my Model B, from basic programming to applications development -- and beyond. :)

I aspire to educate kids on programming and share knowledge to be utilized by generations to come. Nice to know you all. Cheers! :D

Abbeginner

Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:12 am

Hi all. Abbeginner as from user name I am absolutely new to all forms of programming. Am very set in my ways and just decided to see if my brain still works. Only just though. I bought the Pi without a LAN interface, wanted to add the wireless dongle but this involves downloading a script putting it on my Sd card. Well all I could do is copy and paste? Which gives me a text document on the card plus the required other software.

Question is where do I begin? Are there absolute beginners sites for learning how to programme in whatever language?

How would I go about making a script usable by the raspberry pi.

I think I am still capable of learning new things!

Am I asking the wrong questions?

I did manage to make my own Sd card to load the Pi.

Constructive help gratefully appreciated.

I live in the uk am an asbestos worker. 55 ish at the last count.

TheRealPiBaker

Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:37 pm

hi im james. im 10 and 11 in april. i just scammed my dad into buying me my first RPi and im so excited to get it. im living in the US near DC and baltimore. i love computers and really anything related to them but ive never been able to learn. i hope that MCPi real time coding will help with that. :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek:

Sdav89

Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:08 pm

Alright all I'm sdav89. Or just Dav.

I got my RPi to use as a very cheap media streamer and for its easy with this task, but I've since learnt that this little thing is capable of a lot more then just streaming movies, so I guess it's time to read up on what it can do get some SD cards and have a go, i'am new to anything coding and well anything Linux but I'm willing to learn after all that's what this gadget was designed for wasn't it :) . Hope to meet some cool people and learn some new stuff.

RowanNL

Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:40 pm

Hi, my name is Rowan, 22 years old and living in The Netherlands. I'm studying commercial airline pilot in The Netherlands. I was born and raised in Eindhoven, and now living in Groningen.
My interests are automotive, i have an old classic car, aviation, and computer's. After years of doing nothing with computer's a relative told me about the Raspberry PI. After doing some research about it, i became very interested. I ordered the 512 mb version. I hope to learn new things here, some of the things i did like to do with the Raspberry are:
-Mediacenter (streaming, etc)
-Running Windows on it.
-Play Wolfenstein with linux.
-Some cool things i did hope te learn here!

Cheers, Rowan

Kolapso

Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:11 pm

Hi all, I'm Erik and I'm completely new to the r-pi, but as others have been following the news on it. Finally decided to get a model B, and it's veery easy to stay up too late trying to get an Ada project to work (kind of new to Ada programming but figured I want try to learn) :D
Have a background of always tinkering with computers and tech, and i'm working as a software tester. Linux in general is also fun to tinker with, and it feels like I've just begun to discover what the Pi can (for me) be used for. It's a cracking piece of kit!

mitch

Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:33 pm

As my username may suggest I'm Mitch, new to the forums...robotics engineering/computer science student...a complete and utter newb at programming, but I finally decided to buy an RPi Model B to teach myself some programming languages (starting with C++) and to explore Linux on. I will likely have no clue what I'm doing most of the time but we all have to start somewhere...

mascal

Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:21 am

Hi, I'm Mascal!

Some of my hobbies are electronics, robotics and programming, so what could be found better than RPi? ;)
For my projects generally I use Microchip processors, but now I can have much more power at a quite low cost... :geek:

For now I'm just "starting" making some base configuration using Raspian wheezy and You can see these works (and download SD images if You wish) on my Raspberry Pi pages at http://www.mascal.it/raspberry_e.html (warning: work in progress...).

Many more projects are ongoing and I will surely put more info when ready.

Bye!!!!!
:) :) :)
Mascal
http://rpihome.blogspot.com

Return to “General discussion”