dai-p

Re: Introduce yourself!

Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:16 am

Hi folks. I'm learning a lot here - thanks. Like my friend Omurcha, I am also a wheelchair user. On our battery powered chairs we have a ready 12v (100amphr) supply easily stepped down to 5v. Omurcha is focusing on his powered road rig.
However, I'd like to focus on my extra lite titanium manual rig. The optimum aim here is as compact and lightweight as poss.
So, I'm going to experiment with rechargeable battery packs which hide in the chair frame or within my clothing. Solar power also. Mobile net, gps, etc. Can't wait for virtual goggles.
Would be great to learn what other wheelchair users do with their pi.
Slainte

JamieWynJones

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:03 am

Hi Guys,

I've just purchased a Pi and await it's arrival, pretty new to Linux and programming but hoping I can learn quite quickly. :)

ed2013

Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:10 pm

Hello and Happy New Year!

I've have purchased a Pi and should be with me in 3 weeks time. I am new to programming and electronics and hope this computer will enable me to learn the basic skills. I have a few ideas what to do with the Pi. One idea is to make a robot that can be controlled with a Xbox 360 controller. The second is to make a cheap weather balloon, but considering whether to use the Pi for that purpose or use a cheap Android phone.

A bit about me. I'm a British third year student graduating this summer. The last time I played around with electronics and circuit boards was before GCSEs in Design and Technology. I am somewhat dyslexic too but I've found this to be a strength in problem solving.

Thanks,
Ed

Nemesiscorporation

Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:39 pm

My name is Andrea. I am at present living half in Sweden and half in Ireland. I will be back in Ireland by about Easter permanently, so will have more time to do things with my Pi.

In the 80's I learn't programming at school on the BBC B. I am in my 40's, got middle age spread :twisted: ,geeky, sci-fi fan and interested in making my own computer-robotic gear.

My first computer was a ZX Spectrum 48K. It has several interfaces, joysticks and add ons. My favourite game on it was Atic Atac, which is now bizzarely owned by Microsoft. Still have the Atic Atac tape, but it appears to be stretched due to use and will not load. Think when I get a chance I will play the audio into Ardour, Cubase or similar and compress the length of play slightly, then send it to the spectrum to see if it loads.

A few years later I picked up a BBC B 32K with monitor, followed by a BBC Master with monitor, light pen, AMX mouse, co-processor and rom board. Since then I have picked up various things for the BBC that are being mostly thrown out, from break out boxes to a buggy. My BBC Master has more peripherals than most modern PCs.

I was given a BBC 3000A and I picked up a second for spares on Ebay. The metal monitor stand is a really good idea.

I was given an Archimedes 7000+ which works really well and has been expanded to 128mb.

Also have an Acorn Electron, Atari Mega, Amiga 500 with 501 expansion, Amiga 600 and Amiga 1200 with midi expansion, blizzard 1220 (4mb) and internal SD card expansion.

All my computers are still fully working.

Risc OS is my preferred OS for the Raspberry pi as it is faster and more familiar to me since the BBC 3000A days. Just have to make sure to keep remembering that ARM has switched from 26 bit to 32 bit addressing. I intend to use the Raspberry Pi to get back into programming again.

I do have a strong interest in robotics and embedded systems. It is only a matter of time before I build my first robot with a Raspberry pi in it. I have an 80's big trak with large trailer which can be used to drag a very large batter system behind it.

Andrea

diereinegier

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:53 pm

Hi,

my real name is Georg Bißeling. The German nickname diereinegier translates to thepuregreed in English.

This is my web page: http://www.bisseling.de/georg

I am programming since about 1980 when I got my first programmable pocket calculator: a Texas Instruments 57. From then on it got worse and worse. I even owned and programmed an Acorn Electron in Basic and Assembler. For some time I worked a lot with MPI http://www.mpi-forum.org on a range of unix-like platforms. When I saw that I could possibly built a cluster from rasberries I couldn't resist. I own just one and await the delivery of 4 additional boards to get started. I plan to mount the boards together with a ethernet switch and a powered hub to create a 4 node cluster module to serve as an example how to build a modular cluster. Let's see if I can stop there...

Thanks to the people that started and maintain the foundation!
Download my repositories at https://github.com/GeorgBisseling

RaspberryHigh

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:18 pm

Hello I'm typing to you on my new Raspberry Pi - we have just finished setting it up and I am happy to find this community! I am an educator and have a degree in Information systems. I plan to experiment with Python and hope to get a program working with a motion sensor and a notification system - I have a large puppy that likes to counter surf at night and I think it will be fun to use the Pi to try to catch him in the act! The Pi was easy to get working but I think I have my work cut out for me now with this program.

I used bandnamemaker.com to get a user name and this was one of the first generated -- we thought it was funny and catchy so we went with it but I am only High on the Pi, not anything else! Looking forward to becoming part of this community and hope I'll have something to offer eventually.

Regards,
RaspberryHigh
(if you want to purchase this user name the price is 50 million dollars and one unicorn . . . )

Doctorwho8

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:03 am

Hello!
Here I'm the Doctor, as in Doctor Who, and the Eighth one in a series of eleven. Back off line I'm known as Gregg C Levine.

I've been working with computers since the days of the Apple family, taught myself R6502 assembler when FPBasic (Applesoft) on them proved to be too slow. Then switched over to the PC when it became necessary, and landed in the world of the penguins in 1999. Explored most of the distributions and chose Slackware. My primary system runs Slackware.

I received the Raspberry PI as part of a starter kit as described by Maker Shed here, for a birthday gift over the previous weekend. I also turned it on for the first time tonight. It's as rewarding as everyone else says it is.

As for what I plan on doing with it, it just depends. :idea:
-------------------
Gregg
Doctor Who8

Sam Dolling

Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:54 pm

Hey I am Sam I have love basic HTML coding but have not been able to get my hands on something more sothisticated. Thanks so much for have this great project. Nice one . Sam :D :D :D

Yaug

Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:41 pm

Hi,

I'm manuel, a french web developer who just ordered a raspberry pi B and a starter kit.
I resisted one week before that I order this jewel ! And now, I will continue reading about all funny things allowed by the RPi while I'm waiting for mine to be delivered by the post office.

I leave in Moselle, a french territory in eastern France, close to Germany and Luxembourg. I would be happy to meet others Pi users in this area.
Organisateur d'aPiro : http://forum.raspfr.org/viewtopic.php?id=6
Domotique DIY : http://ydle.fr
Communauté française : http://forum.raspfr.org/
RaspberryGeek / http://manuel-esteban.com

seannieboy71

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:44 pm

Hello I am Sean.
I am a mechanical engineer and rocket scientist (yes I design rocket motors). I bought a raspberry pi with the hope of getting at least one of my 5 kids hooked on doing more with computers than just playing games on them. I am asked by and grateful for the whole raspberry pi effort. Great job.
512 MB Model B

bugloss

Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:17 am

Hi I'm Adam

I work as a photographer on large Engineering projects and I've had a Pi for a couple of months now, but I only managed to get it out of the box the day before yesterday.

I don't have access to a HDMI enabled telly so I managed to get it running straight away on a Macbook Air via Ethernet, using ARD (Apple Remote Desktop) to suss out the IP address.

That was pretty straight forward I'm now running it headless with VCN at boot so I guess I'm ready to do what I want, which is;

Time lapse photography using a Panasonic lumix. Thanks to Aaron 1011 (who won the under 12 competition) I now have the basic linux programme to fire the shutter at the interval required.
The idea is to have the Pi run the camera, firing every 2 minutes 24/7 for 3 years (lots of data)
When the camera has taken the photo I want the Pi to transfer the data to a 1tb usb hard drive and also a file transfer folder for online storage, then delete the image from the sd card in the camera.
The next step is from the online file folder via either an iPhone or usb dongle to cloud storage where it gets transferred to my computer here in Denmark. (Simple!!!!)

So a brief recap - Pi and camera in central London on a roof, me and computer in Denmark.
If there is anyone who wants to help out with the "how to" set up of this network and required programming I would appreciate their help. (send a pm)

I chose the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 because I can turn off the auto focus, it has a manual on/off switch and I can set it to aperture priority so all the camera has to do is work out the shutter speed.

At the moment I'm working at Crossrail in Woolwich where I have 5 time lapse cameras running continuously and the previous project that I worked on was the 2012 Stadium in Stratford.

That's it.

antontre

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:37 am

Hello I'm Antonin
French Guy, pharmacist, and really interested in electronic things.
I like Arduino, Quadcopters, Robotic, and lot of fun things I've found in Make.
I'm starting to use debian on my little netbook (1001PX Asus), and rasbian on RPi.

aduplain

Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:31 am

Hi, I'm Adam and I am very new to raspberry pi and well Linux entirely. I received a raspberry pi for Christmas this December. It was an attempt to help me follow my goal of pursuing a career in computers in the USAF, and so far i have enjoyed it alot. Without any prior knowledge i have successfully installed Bluetooth, CUPS, and am working on setting up a webcam ( unsuccessful so far). i have even begun playing around with some scripts. I would like any advice on where to go from here, any cool tips or tricks to send me on my way?

Thanks, Adam.

norcalairman

Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:22 am

I'm Ben. I'm a professional malware reverse engineer and lifelong technophile. I also dabble in RC and have resolved to build a Raspberry Pi controlled quadcopter by year's end. Of course my Pi hasn't arrived yet and I've got a lot to learn, but it's going to be a fun project. It will likely end up being something like the Phoenix project at www.ctn-dev.org.

Anyway, I'm excited to get my Pi and my nine year old is excited about the Pi I ordered for him. Time for him to learn how to really use a computer.

occamsrazoredge

Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:41 am

My name is Phil,

I'm a Hip Hop artist, Tiny Home enthusiast, and all around confused. I know little of Linux and nothing of programming. I bought a Pi to help me learn both in a fun environment. I expect to flood my post count with stupid questions and inane chatter about things I don't know. :ugeek:

phonzie

Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:24 pm

Hello, everyone! My name is Phil. I'm a computer analyst and web developer from the United States. I just got my Raspberry Pi last night and have spent a great amount of time experimenting and getting to know it. I'm excited to join this community.

barmagirl

Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:39 am

Hello! Just wanted to say hi. Im a Spaniard living in the US, Colorado specifically. I just got a RPi from my husband, since we're booth a little geeky, and I'm impressed with what it can do! I'm sure I'll have to post a few questions in this forum to figure things out, and then hopefully someday I'll be able to help too. :)

SteveCull

Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:06 pm

Hi all, I’m Steve and I work in IT, got my Pi on the second release of Pi’s. Only getting a chance to fire it up now. Fun times ahead!

Xenocartographer

Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:32 pm

I'm Patrick, alias Xenocartographer. I'm... New to all this wiring and stuff, honestly. My goal is to eventually build an aircraft that resembles Serenity from Firefly (and flies ofc).

Joseph_f2

Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:09 pm

Hi I'm Joseph, I code programs in vb/c++ and, I enjoy game programing alot, I like making games in 2d/3d.

Markodius

Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:14 am

Hi, my name is Mark. 48 years old now and learning to program again after being diagnosed with sclerosis of the brainbox :( - so it's a great relief to get back to where I started with BBC Basic because it does make almost absolute sense :D . I've done a lot of jobs in the last 30 something years but mainly produced PC software for industry and commerce under the banner of 'Air Ware'. It's unlikely that I'll author another commercial product but it's very comforting to know that the ethos lives on. I love my Raspi, whether I'm running RISCOS or Raspbian and it amazes me that pound for pound the Raspi makes all other machines look ridiculously priced and poorly specified :shock: Congratulations and thank you for breaking the mould :ugeek:
“In the modern age, to call a man unelectable means he cannot be bought”

archuser84

Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:12 am

My name is Brett, I am a Cisco Academy Instructor and a Linux enthusiast, but I am far from a fan boy of any OS or hardware however, what draws me to this device and open source / open standards is the desire to make the World a better place through learning and innovation. My personal motto is "What ever is the best tool for the job".

hiroma2082

Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:45 am

hello(こんにちは) from Japan,

i got to know R-Pi last year and joining en>ja translation project at Japanese community.
i am Web Developer mainly use PHP and start integrating my Python skill :)

my page on raspberry.org forum
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/membe ... le&u=46886
and also i have this http://elinux.org/User:Hiroma2082 page

anandbal

Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:38 am

hi,
Iam an engineering final year student. i got to rs pi accidently and now feeling great with it. I intend to do my final project in RS pi...The lot of support and online forums are my reference for this purpose. Im also started working with Python...Expecting help and support from all of you...

Onlyname

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:16 pm

Hello all,

My name is Harrison, I have been learning Linux for about 6 months now. I have enjoyed learning Linux and recently heard about RPi. Just ordered the RPi Model-B last week and it comes in today! Look forward to getting to know some of you and learn in the process. I am sure I will have many questions. I have fooled around with coding in just about every language there is, I am not proficient in any, but I look to become proficient in Python and C++. I am in school for IT, a major in Database Management and a minor in Informations Security.

Return to “General discussion”