ILikeC++

Re: Introduce yourself!

Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:38 am

Sorry didn't see this sticky the first time through. (I know I did wrong, and no I'm not very good at navigating "forums" so go ahead and get it out of your system)

I'm Gary, I have an Associates in CS. I studied C++/.net, VB/.net, and Java.

I've been out of the programming game for quite some time and would love a good challenge to freshen up my skills.

So, Because my friend is using a 1st generation Raspberry Pi to power his counter top arcade game emulator I decided I want to give it a try (not the gaming, I want to try something else, something different, I'm looking for ideas). So I'm looking to get the Raspberry Pi 3 starter kit and go from there.

I hope to make some contacts, and learn techniques, ONLY after searching for the answer first. I promise to try not to ask stupid questions or make any more repetitive post/comments. (And yes, I did read the Beginners Read Before Posting post)

wildfire

Hi Guys & Galls

Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:26 am

Hiya,

Name's Paddy born and bred in Dundee, Scotland.

I've always had an interest in programming (50 years old) but now looking at the electronics (why did I buy a Pi :o ), anyway I've been browsing this board for a few month and find it's a welcoming community. I'm going to pester you lot with stupid questions in the next wee while.

I have a model B Pi and a model 3B pi (WHY :shock: )

G&G you are fantastic, keep up the good work and if I annoy you please understand it was never intentional.

keep up the good work
E8 85 A2 64 C9 64 81 94 64 81 95 64 89 84 89 96 A3
Still NF Shirls

xicrazylizardx

Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:01 pm

Hi my names Antony I'm 37 and from Bristol I've been into computers for a long time and used to write basic code on my old spectrum when I was younger.

And I was wondering if it's possible to create a portable pi but instead of having to use wifi you could use a payg sim card to provide the connectivity?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

thefoot58

Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:45 pm

Screen Shot 2016-09-02 at 6.49.06 PM.png
I'm an older (57) retired programmer. My first real job though was when I was 19, worked for Schecter Guitar Research 1978-1979. After that job is when I first started serious programming, around 1980. Then I had a career, and I retired, early and fairly well off. I was soon bored and looking for something fun, I had been kicking around getting a RPi, probably build a universal remote or other home entertainment thing.

Then I stumbled across Dave Schecter, a founder and the namesake of Schecter Guitar Research. Lo and behold, the guitars we build 40 years ago (only 1300 were built) are now very rare and collectible, I had no idea. In 1983 the original Schecter Guitar Research kind of fell apart, and filed Chapter 7, the name Schecter was sold off. Dave Schecter got into CNC machining, and worked for Delta Tau for many years.

Dave likes to build machines that build cool things. He uses Delta Tau PMAC boards, but they are so old that the ways to communicate with them have grown intolerable or impossible. So I'm helping Dave build a PMAC terminal using an RPi, Ruby and GNOME2.

Kentthegreet

Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:59 am

Newbie here from Manila. Got interested on this since I heard the first Pie but no time to get hold yet. Now that I am resigning in 2 weeks from my job, I will have a plenty of time to work on this and hopefully can create new innovation out from this tiny technology. I got a lot in mind for the things I will do so hold on peeps. I will ask a lot of newbie questions in few days and hopefully can share inputs soon.

portaro

Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:02 am

Hello for all.
I buy my first Raspberry Pi3 yesterday but I still dont have my Raspberry because I buy it by order request so I need wait some days to the raspberry arrives to my home.

I plan use it with a media center with kodi, and use some cards with different type of uses like retro games, or simple pc.

My raspberry comes with a box case already but probably I'll build a custom box .

Im a GNU/Linux user already at many time ago so Linux start in me the interest on TI , programs and all in relation with it.

I'm Portuguese , my studies are in Tourism but I like work or have hobbies in other areas like pcs, furniture, bricos , work with hands ... I understand Spanish, Portuguese, English and French and some Italian. I like History , social sciences , nature and animals , chocolate , coffee ....
Well is all about me I think and I hope you like.

Yes probably in the future I need open some questions in forum, so then , see you later. ;)

Thanks.

dee2eR

Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:03 am

Hello from Australia,
for the past few years I've been making Raspberry Pi JAMMA adaptors called RaspberryJAMMA. I also make a low res (480i and 240p) MAME distro for RPI2 & 3 called ARpiCADE (designed for RaspberryJAMMA but also works without).

I know a few people here from other forums and figured I'd finally sign up and say hi. Thanks for the information I've found here over the past few years.

JGHunter

Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:44 pm

Two posts in the Introduction section, not good.

Hi I signed up about two years ago but after a series of house moves I never did anything with my RPi and it got boxed away as I didn't know what to do with it.

Well, here I am! Again. I am learning Python and C++, as I'm interested in robotics. I hope to combine skills learnt with RPi and ... the A word.
I have two things: a Raspberry Pi and dreams...

Omega85

Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:14 pm

Hey everyone,
I've had an eye on the Raspberry Pi for a while now, but most recently because of the 'emulation station' and or 'retropie'. I wouldn't know what I'd prefer because I haven't tried any of them out. I'm actually here to discuss with anyone else who uses the pi for retro-gaming. I guess this is where my quest begins!

sidhi

Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:14 pm

Hi everyone, my name is Sidhi from Indonesia and I'm still a nubie for RPI. The model that I have is RPI 3 model B.

Still learning RPI... Hopefully, I can use it likeI use Windows PC. Still need a lot of assistance here.... Like how to calibrate my LCD USB Touchscreen eGalax and setting printer within a windows workgroup (the printer is in Win10 PC).... :)

pklink

Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:46 am

Hi there from Greece
Do you know if is the project for weather stations still open for schools?

Thank you.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:16 am

pklink wrote:Hi there from Greece
Do you know if is the project for weather stations still open for schools?

Thank you.
Hi,
I believe the initial 1000 kit were allocated, however there may be a few spare or unclaimed kits. If you email weather@raspberrypi.org you may
be in a chance of getting one of these spare or unused kits.
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

Julia_Dev

Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:40 pm

Hi everyone, Julia here. I've been working with RPI for a couple of years now, just got the RPI 3 and hoping to work on some projects!

novaspirit

Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:22 am

Hi everyone,
My name is don and I create tutorial and projects with raspberry pi and post them on youtube to share, I don't know why it didn't accrued to me to join this forum until now? i'm always on here researching.. but here i am now saying HI

regards,
Don
Novaspirit Tech
YouTube @ youtube.com/novaspirittech

neilakos

Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:00 am

Hey everyone, happy to be aboard! I'm a bit of a novice in the Pi sphere to be honest, so I'm looking forward to learning more.

Chairos

Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:58 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm Manuel, an Italian 28 yo programmer that's meeting Rapberry for the first time.
I'm really glad to have found this community since it seems it's full of kind people, hope i can be usefull too!

Regards.

aquilablu

Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:02 pm

Good afternoon to all the people living in the lowest time zones (1, 2, 3...), and good 'all the rest of the day' to all the other ones. :D
I received a Raspberry Pi2 as a christmas gift from my children (opposite than usual), and since then I tried to improve, step by step, my knowledge about it. Few weeks ago I found a problem for which I wasn't able to find an answer, both in the wiki or in other web sites; so I decided to register to this forum, the Beatles should say: "I'm gonna try with a little help from my friends".
I beg pardon in advance to all the readers for my possible typos or mis...writing; I started using a computer giving it commands via punched cards, "many, too many" years ago (remember Genesis?) but with the social use of an electronic device I'm a perfect newbe. Bye.

aleifuu

Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:01 pm

Hi @don, I've been following your YouTube channel NovaSpirit Tech. Good job, keep it up !

Wish I won that free water-cooled pi system. seems like a solid system

Hi everyone, my name is Arief and I live ( probably far away than most of you ) in Indonesia. I'm glad to announce that we have pi and a growing arduino community here too. I'm not so into robotics, although it's definitely my hobby that doesn't really get much allocated time for it

I first came across pi when I try to search a much better solution for a torrent-box. who knows it turns out pi can serve very well as both torrent-box and media server ( ie. bye-bye old PC =) ). The set-up was very easy, very beginner-friendly too. I have had one Pi with me for as long as 4 years and it's always on 24/7. Been through and survives sudden outtage for that long of time too. I'm just impressed with how durable it is

From then on, I've been using a combination of pi2 and pi3 as combinations for many small-medium projects that I use purposely either for home-use or retail-use like hosting a Web service/server/mail server/cron daemon wol to other machines/ddclient. I must say I learned more practical application playing with raspberry pi than 4 years in college. LOL :D

vinced

Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:58 am

Hi. I'm Vince. I just received my RPi 3 B yesterday. My overall plan is to use it for a DVAP setup. I have been in IT for over 25 years, both active duty USAF and as a civilian. I may also get 1 for each of my kids once I figure out basic the ins and outs.

pragmatist

Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:45 pm

Hi everyone !

My name is Pen. I'm a huge RPi fan and have been ever since they were first "born". Brilliant bit of kit for a huge range of uses. Think that as a tool for learning programming it beats the BBC micro:bit hands down !

Currently using one Pi2B on my desk for Open Source development. I'm posting this on the net via another Pi several fields away up the hill in this remote part of Exmoor. The Pi is acting as a 3G router obtaining a Three signal from a mast 7 miles away - this is then transmitted from the Pi to the office by wireless. Currently getting 17Mbps down instead of the measly 0.25 that ADSL offers us - thanks to a Pi. I'll post more under Projects some time - if people think this practical use of RPis interesting :)

Good luck to the Pi Foundation and all happy Pi-makers and Pi-eaters

Pen
Last edited by pragmatist on Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElliP

Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:20 pm

Hello. I am Elli and new to the Pi. I wanted to learn programming and coding so here I am! I live in the US and look forward to learning. I work in a warehouse office and like to quilt and bead in my spare time. Just be patient with this newbie. Thanks

obsidianspider

Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:08 am

Hi, Todd here. I got my Pi 2 last year and have messed around with RetroPie a bit. About a month ago I decided to put my Pi in a Super Famicom and will eventually upgrade that to a Pi 3. The build is going well and I've gotten a lot of help over at the RetroPie forum. One thing that I think is pretty neat is that I have a secondary TFT embedded in a game cartridge to show game art and/or Pi information while the main image is sent to the TV via HDMI.

A friend of mine is helping me with a 3D-printed back panel for the power jacks, and I still have some more programming to do for the screen, but once that's "done" my next potential project will be to try to hack an old XM SkyFi boombox to have a Pi control it. First we'll see if I can figure out how to turn it on without the satellite receiver...

digger72

Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:28 pm

My name is Vikas Shukla and I am the designer of HubPiWi Blue ( and also Hubpixed and HubPiWi). The HubPiWi blue is currently in kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... th-3-usb-p

ov10fac

Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:55 pm

Hi,

I'm John. I have been looking at the Raspberry PI for several months now. I am a retired College IT Professor and the PI is a very interesting piece of hardware. I got mine last week and look forward to playing around with it.

I am also a retired AF Pilot. I currently run an IT Consulting Company and the PI may provide some interesting solutions to some of the issues my customers have.

Anyway, glad I found the forum and look forward to reading other applications and codes for the PI.

John

ewaller

Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:52 pm

Hello,
First post, so I may as well get the first post moderation out of the way. I am a an engineer and long time Linux user. I am active in the Arch Linux community. I use Archliunux Arm on my RasPi early model 1A. Yesterday I set up an new 3b with Raspian.

Figured I may as well register and see what I can do to support the community.

Return to “General discussion”