cottagefarmer

Re: Introduce yourself!

Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:23 pm

Howdy, I'm Patrick, amateur radio operator playing around with RP.

Just trying Raspberry PI out. So far have successfully loaded an image, and now about to try to get a jesse image installed for a spectrum analyzer. See what happens!
Patrick

djb10315

Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:28 am

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to Raspberry Pi and excited. I heard about it from one of my employees when managing an electronics retailer. I've since moved on and want to learn all about the Pi. I am not a programmer but would love to try my hand at the different projects and capabilities of this device. I've built PCs and done some customization but this is looking like a fun new hobby.

Harrzack

Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:08 pm

Greets to all! Getting into the Pi to run Processing sketches for displays on the Battleship New Jersey museum ship. We have several projects - one to display scrolling text ('glass tty') and another to emulate a radar screen with joystick interaction. Hoping to be able to use the Zero for the final display hardware for the obvious low cost! ;)

I'm a retired programmer now doing Arduino projects, light machine work (http://www.avrdev.net) and whatever else comes along. Processing (running on a Zero) talking to an Arduino could be a very powerful combo!

=Alan R.

Ictinike

Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:01 pm

Greetings!

43 year old Software Engineer and Hardware guy..

Been developing software as a career now for roughly 24 years now but have 'dabbled' all my life going back to the late 80's and early 90's.

Work/Contracted into HP to continue working on a Fortune 50 automotive parts client that I have supported now 18 years. I continue to do what I have done for this client and want to liven up the environment with new hardware and code and Raspberry Pi's are what I'm 'tinkering' with now.

Looking to change some old thoughts on IT services in manufacturing by giving a facelift to many of the aging LED/LCD 'Scoreboards' these plants work with for notifications, alerts, etc. I'm feeling a RasPi could easily host Angular/Node/Dashing 'dashboards' displaying manufacturing stats and notifications much easier than current and past deployments.

Like to L&L (lurk and learn) all the while hacking my way through new devices and syntax. It's what I do best and enjoy it thoroughly!

Cheers,
~Richard

MrKoolics

Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:51 am

I'm Tom, I go by the forum screen name of MrKoolics. I'm a Business Analyst for a large financial Institution in the MidWest of North America. I'm new to the Raspberry Pi. I enjoy reading, console video games, camping and hiking with my wife. I have an interest in just about all genre's of music. I'll listen to about anything. I have been interested in the Linux OS back in the day when you had to pay for a windows license. I've worked on machines that were Windows 3.1 and then Windows 3.11. I've tried to experiment with Lindows and then eventually landed on the Ubuntu OS. I'm not a programmer by any means but I like to experiment with different things. And have since been interested in a low cost desktop computer which when I saw a Raspberry Pi could be used as one I was instantly interested. Which leads to why I've subscribed to this forum and am glad to be here.

Kinds Regards,
MrKoolics [Tom]
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B w/ OSMC & Raspberry Pi 3 Model B w/ Raspbian Jesse

Daikilrog

Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:45 pm

Hey everyone :)

My name is Daikilrog, I'm 23, have a degree in Graphics Arts and still at school studying Business informatics :D
I have just discovered Raspberry Pi and can't wait to learn more :P

tripp23

Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:25 pm

Hi there. I bought a Raspberry Pi for my young son and I to tinker around with and learn more about computers. We've really enjoyed learning through the site (and forum), as well as with Simon Monk's 'Programming the Raspberry Pi' book. My son is really loving Scratch and I'm beginning to try my hand at Python. Looking forward to doing more with our Pi...

RustyKnight

Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:24 am

Hi All
I preordered a Raspberry Pi when they first came out but it sat in the box for over a year and got used a couple of times. In January i picked up a copy of MagPi and remembered that little board sitting in a box so I bought the magazine.
When I found out about the Zero I subscribed to the magazine so I could get a Zero as well.
I've been playing around a bit with the original Pi and I like it but the older one was a bit slow so I now have a B2 as well.

I've been using computers since I was lucky enough to be picked for a trial computer studies course at school in 1980. My first computer was a ZX81, then over the years I've been through Spectrums, Atari STs, Amigas, BBC B, and eventually PCs.

I'm starting to like Linux, I dabbled with it a few years ago and had a dual-boot PC with Suse Linux and WIndows 98, but in those days I couldn't do what I did on WIndows without a lot of problems so I gave up.

Now I've been using Raspbian and also Ubuntu Mate on the Pi, I like Ubuntu Mate and have just installed it in place of Windows XP on an old Acer N260 PC.

I have ideas for things I want to do with the Pi, but at the moment they are sitting here waiting.
So much for the official forum being helpful - if you ask a question they send you threatening messages and warnings - I'm leaving

DonnieMarco

Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:21 pm

Hi there, my name is Marc and I am a science teacher who is new to but very excited about all things programming and electronics and how they could apply o my subject.

mars-pi

Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:24 pm

Hi, I'm Marco from Italy. Just bought the Pi because why not?
Thinking of running headless services more than use it for projects/desktop.

First post.

So long space robots,
Marco

RayWinestone

Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:22 pm

Hi I'm Ray

For many years I work in software development and support for SME organizations. I recently retired and thought it would be a good idea to start tinkering around with Raspberry Pi.

I'm also new to this forum and I'm not sure where to post my query.

I purchased a RPi and attempted to plug in my mini sd card. This would not lock in place so I got the RPi replaced and the same thing happened again! I then checked out the internet for solutions and found multiple instances of this problem.

The usual advice is to replace the sd card unit. However, I'm not an electronics hobbyist and have no skills with a soldering iron, so this is a daunting prospect.

Does anyone know if the RPi organization intend to bring out a new model with a more robust sd card unit?

Umbert Vohiden

Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:48 am

Umbert Vohiden, Marketing Consultant for Nonprofit Organizations. Working mainly with software development and contextual video ad distribution for charities.

gulpanag

Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:55 am

I am gulpanag from Usa..
I am working in robotics sucha chhotepur dpartment in japan..i am very thankful to the moderator who allowed me to join this forum..

Lumpee

Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:27 am

Hi all.

Lumpee from Australia. I have 4 RPi2s at the moment, 3 of which are currently media centres and the other is a central control hub/experimental board.

I am new to electronics and after learning Python and some other programming and doing some simple wiring of sensors, relays etc I'm ready to tackle some more 'advanced' and dedicated projects mainly around home automation.

JohnnyDinglebrowner!

Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:20 am

Hello everyone. I am Johnny Dinglebrowner. I live in Bangladesh. Please bare with me sometimes as I am new to the raspberry pi. I am trying to develop a plant-defense system for our great fields to deter invaders. I will have more information as it develops but as of now I just wanted to say hello and also Thank You for letting me join your website

johnparker92

Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:00 am

Hii everone.. Myself John Parker, I am working in software company. Our company develop mobile app and game for all platforms. My work is BDE.
Mobile apps development companies in San Francisco | Mobile Application Development San Francisco

rvosatka

Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:14 pm

Hi-

I am Bob Vosatka. I run an educational nonprofit association called SwiftEd. I am a board certified physician (Pediatrics, Clinical Genetics and Genomics, Neonatal and Perinatal Medicine). First licensed in 1970 as an Amateur radio operator, I currently hold and Amateur Extra Class license (WN2CLE-->WB2CLE-->WA2I). I have taught Physics, Chemistry and Biology in high school and informal teaching/museum education programs. I am the Emeritus Chair of UFAR (United Front Against Riverblindness), an international humanitarian organization serving >2 million patients yearly.

I am currently the Board Chair and Executive Director of SwiftEd, an educational nonprofit association. We hope to use RaspPi in informal educational programs.

-Bob

Echo

Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:23 am

Hello I am Echo from the UK.

Nothing special to say, just another nerd who is more comfortable around machines and forums than real life people. My IT knowledge is patchy as hell so sometimes I appear very knowledgeable and at other times clueless. Planning on getting a Pi as just something to mess around with, maybe try a few of the ideas I have seen on here and no doubt break a lot of OSs in the process. I would have tried out Raspbian by now by apparently QEMU doesn't like my PC so I think I will just wait until I actually have my Pi.

kylejwilke

Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:10 am

WASSUP

I'm a special education teacher and lover of all things tech.

I got my start with geektom creating paper computers that I would bring everywhere as a kid. My first experiences with computers was prob at school, I think kingdergarten. All I remember was they had green screens and we played a few spelling or math games on them. Bump up to HS and I really dove into geektom. My first comptuer my parents gave me was some no brand with a single core processor with 128 mbs of ram running windows XP. It was horribly painful. Heck the Raspberry pi has better specs.

My first usuable computer was a Dell desktop with an AMD duel core processor, 1 gig of ram, on vista. Now it didn't work until I popped two more gigs of ram and then it flew. During HS I discovered linux and started installing it on all the old computers in my house. I would DBAN the HD and then try a new distro just for kicks.

Eventually got my hands on an ASUS EEE PC 900, if you remember the rise of the Netbook, it was one that started it all. 9 inch screen, intel celeron 900mhz processor and 2 gigs of ram. Tried a bunch of different distros and finally settled on EEEbuntu. Loved that little thing. Ended up selling it for the same price I bought it at a few years later.

Then I got my first mac, 2009 White Unibody Macbook with 2 gigs of ram, intel core two duo processor, standard HD. This thing is a horse, actually typing this out on it. Maxed out the ram at 16gigs and got rid of the Superdrive so now I boot off of an SSD and keep all my crap on an internal platter drive. Only thing I've had to replace is the screen. That was a fun repair, thanks iFixit.

Got my raspberry pi about 2 years ago. Havn't done a ton with it but its been a huge hit in my classroom. Popped Kano OS on it and I use the Minecraft Pi edition as a reward for students. They get 10 mins on it. Really amazing what they've been able to build in 10 minute incriments.

Anyway, I'm going to the first Picademy in the USA this weekend so I wanted to stop by and say hello.

Snappi

Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:59 am

I'm Ashton. I usually go by a mixture of my last name and something else that makes sense with what I'm signing up for (in this case I just added an i to the end to make it a pun (Snappi = Snapp Pi)). But I really like the usernames that pop up. If you've ever come across a person on Minecraft with the username SnappCraft, that was me (unless DisguiseCraft was installed).

I'm just a computer and video game nerd in his second year of high school. My first Raspberry Pi was a generation 1 model B+, back when it first came out. I got it for Christmas, I think. I had a power adapter (whose British connectors couldn't fit in the American sockets!), an 8 gig SD card, an HDMI cord hooking it up to my TV, and a keyboard and trackpad combo set up. The adapter was hooked into a power strip, I turned the strip on and the Pi booted (on HDMI3). I installed Raspbian and I liked my little Pi ever since. Or, until it broke the next year. I'm not sure if I'm correct here, but I think power strips might be possible of backpowering/backfeeding the Pi, because when I turned it on, nothing happened. Nothing was being output to the TV. I'm not sure if the keyboard was doing anything. And... yeah. First Pi - DED. Now I'm wanting a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B and all of the officially official accessories that are less likely to bork the device. Reasoning? Saw a video by Tinkernut on making a Raspberry Pi web server. And another one on using it to make an email server. I want to make a website :|.

ElectricDollhouse

Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:34 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm a dollshouse builder based in England looking to take advantage of Raspberry Pi and all it can offer in the running of lights and moving dollhouse doors.

Don't ask me anything technical though, I know nothing, I'm here to learn! Unless of course it's a question regarding dollhouses!

Shane

abelectronicsuk

Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:05 pm

Hello everyone, I’m Brian from the south coast in the United Kingdom.

I have been playing with the Raspberry Pi range since they came out and had one running 24/7 since July 2012 as a solar power data logger http://www.briandorey.com/post/Raspberr ... ata-Logger which was featured on Hackaday back in 2012 and the first gen data logger was replaced with new version using a Pi model 2 in November 2015 http://www.briandorey.com/post/Raspberr ... -Version-2

I use the data logger Pi to keep track of our homes energy usage and it logs every minute to http://home.briandorey.com/ so I can keep track of everything online.

Before the Pi arrived I had played with Linux in my spare time but spend most of the time developing websites and apps using C# on Windows and also writing IOs and Android mobile apps.

Now using Linux Mint on the desktop for and Raspbian on the Raspberry Pi’s.

ClericBoomer

Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:54 pm

Hi all,

I have actually posted a question here before, but not posted an introduction.

Over the years I have built PC's and small electronic projects, some more successful than others. I took a college course in communications engineering many, many years ago and unfortunately have forgotten most of the basics, and most of it has changed lol.

I have a pi2 and various bits and have just purchased and built a DiddyBorg Red.

I have some plans for what I want to do with the DiddyBorg, and that is a different thread.

I have been a member of the group for a while, and reading the threads for even longer.

Thanks

Chris
Who? Me?

LeonInFl

Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:27 pm

Hi, I'm Leon. I live in Florida, USA and am retired. I use a PI 2 with Kodi as a media center I am now attempting to use a Pi 1 B+ as a magnifying reader for a friend with macular degeneration. At some point it will have to read for her. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You.

thumoo

Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:24 pm

It's amazing reading through some of the replies. People from all over the place with all levels of experience. It's great :)

Anyhoo, I'm on here at thumoo, which is my website. It's hard getting registered under the name I want - Foxy. Amazing how many there are! Even though it's my nickname, so if you use Foxy then I know that I've been noticed!

I have messed around with web development for years but starting to get more serious about it now. I run BOINC on my machine to help in the research for cancer cos every little helps!

I haven't purchased a Raspberry Pi yet, but I came across it while I was researching an idea and it seems to fit so I DO intend to get one but nothing wrong with learning and getting involved beforehand :)

Fox

Return to “General discussion”